cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking throug walls with position Tracking

di3ension
Honored Guest
So the new Dk2 features are awesome and i really like the position tracking, since we are doing architectural vizualisations. But what really bothers me is, that you can actually look through every wall with this new feature :shock:
so how can i prevent this? I can't but colliders everywhere... it would be impossible to move the character freely.
7 REPLIES 7

mdk
Honored Guest
It's a really hard problem to fix for archviz. I've kinda just accepted that for now this is how things are. I don't think most people will have a problem with this. People will for the most part surely notice this at some point, but it's not something that they will do constantly by accident. It's not really intuitive to bang your head against the wall.

One way to minimize the problem is tweaking the clipping planes of the cameras. In interior models there isn't a need to see very far so It's possible to put both clipping planes a lot closer without having any Z-fighting issues.

bcoyle
Adventurer
My thought, at least for now will be to have static viewing positions. Since most clients aren't ready for full immersion, movement, and exploration.

Lane
Honored Guest
You need to do some custom work to fix this one. A lot of devs have been wondering for a long time how to approach this one as it was a concern with practical application.

Personally, I only see one way to deal with it. Push the body away when the head hits a wall. There are rare cases you'll need to just stop the head from passing through walls, consider crouching through vents and small areas where you can't push the player anywhere.

Either way I think its going to be awkward, but it seems to be the only thing to do - stop the head model.

brendenfrank
Honored Guest
You could always just pad the collision so that they player stops with enough room to positional track closer to the wall.

bcoyle
Adventurer
"brendenfrank" wrote:
You could always just pad the collision so that they player stops with enough room to positional track closer to the wall.

This works, or you can make the bounding space of the player large. But in both cases you can end up limiting movement through small openings. I know Oculus has that script to display text when you lose head tracking, I wonder if something similar can be crafted when you intersect with a collision object. Just turn the vision darker/black and notify the viewer to come back out of the wall 🙂

di3ension
Honored Guest
Thx for your input but i think we will just have to wait and see 😉

LaeusVR
Honored Guest
This is definitely one of the big "how do we solve this?" problems facing VR development that has no great analogue in standard game dev. I think the answer will be different for each game, or at least each genre of game, and I think the best VR developers will differentiate themselves with good solutions to this.

Ideally, the game's movement space doesn't ever put the character in a place where the VR user can easily put their head through a wall (examples of achieving this: walkways that wind through cavernous rooms, completely fixed camera positions, or of course outdoor scenes -- though even in these cases a player could just kneel down and clip through the ground). If there's no way to prevent it, and there will be many such cases, I don't think the correct solution will ever be to push back on the in-game avatar or have the in-game head collide with the environment because that instantly breaks presence. Instead, fading to black will likely be the easiest solution in the short term.