cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Utilities 1.7 for Unity 5 Released

cybereality
Grand Champion

Oculus Utilities for Unity 5

This document provides an overview of new features, improvements, and fixes included in the latest version of the Oculus Utilities for Unity 5. For information on first-party changes to Unity VR support for Oculus, see the Unity Release Notes for the appropriate version. You will find an updated scripting reference for the included C# scripts in our Unity Developer Reference.

Note: Unity versions prior to 5.3.4p5 (or 5.3.3p3 + OVRPlugin 1.3) are no longer supported.

New Features

• Updated OVROverlay.cs to support cubemap (skybox) and hemicylinder overlay shapes (mobile only) in addition to the existing quadrilateral Game Object shape.
  • Added OVRRTOverlayConnector to stream Render Texture contents to an OVROverlay. For more information, see OVROverlay and OVRRTOverlayConnector.
  • Added runtime support for Adaptive Resolution (see description in OVRManager).

API Changes

• Unity versions prior to 5.3.4p5 (or 5.3.3p3 + OVRPlugin 1.3) are no longer supported.
  • OVRInput.SetControllerVibration may no longer address a pair of Touch controllers with OVRinput.Controller.Touch; you must address each controller individually using OVRinput.Controller.LTouch or OVRinput.Controller.RTouch.

Bug Fixes

• When targeting Oculus Touch, OVRInput.SetControllerVibration calls are now limited to 30 per second due to performance issues; additional calls are discarded. (Note: we recommend using OVRHaptics to control Touch vibrations - it provides better haptics quality without the performance issues of OVRInput.SetControllerVibration().
  • Fixed crash in CreateDirect3D11SurfaceFromDXGISurface after eye buffer re-allocation on Rift.
  • Fixed OVRInput Xbox controller detection with Unity on Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.
  • Fixed delay when loading with “Run in Background” enabled.
  • Fixed missing runtime support for adaptive viewport scaling.

Known Issues

• Gear VR
    • Unity 5 automatically generates manifest files with Android builds that will cause them to be automatically rejected by the Oculus Store submission portal. If this is blocking your application submission, please let us know on our Developer Forum and we will work with you on a temporary workaround.
    • Gear VR developers using Unity 5.3.4 or later, or using Unity 5.4.0b16 and later: Do not set DSP Buffer Size to Best in Audio Manager in the Inspector for now or you will encounter audio distortion. Set it to Good or Default instead.
https://developer3.oculus.com/downloads/game-engines/1.7.0/Oculus_Utilities_for_Unity_5/
16 REPLIES 16

delphinius81
Rising Star
@vrdaveb I'm getting a couple of compiler errors with this version:

Assets/OVR/Moonlight/Scripts/Utils/OVRDebugGraph.cs(59,27): error CS0117: `OVRPlugin' does not contain a definition for `debugDisplay'
Assets/OVR/Moonlight/Scripts/Utils/OVRDebugGraph.cs(60,27): error CS0117: `OVRPlugin' does not contain a definition for `collectPerf'

Looks like the OVRPlugin script was updated to remove those properties, but OVRDebugGraph was not fixed (or included in the generated unitypackage)?

I commented out the lines causing problems locally, but these errors probably shouldn't have made it into the live version. 🙂 Might want to update or pull the download until it's fixed.

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
OVRDebugGraph.cs has been removed from the Utilities. It sounds like you still have the obsolete script in your project. Please delete the OVR folder before importing new copies of the Utilities.

delphinius81
Rising Star
Ah ok, that makes more sense. I really wish Unity would properly handle files being removed from a package...

Toukokuu
Protege
In general it would be dangerous for Unity to delete files automatically if the users might have modified the files for their own needs or built dependencies around them.

delphinius81
Rising Star
Right - but they could at least highlight which files were marked for deletion by the package author. You can already check whether you want to include the new or changed files, but there isn't any indication that a package author might have made large changes to the package structure (such as in this case, the complete removal of the Moonlight folder). If I hadn't manually looked at the package structure differences between my project and an empty one, I would have never known how much things differed.

On the flip side, the release notes for the Unity utilities could state what was added/removed/moved. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hate the way unity allows packages to be dumped anywhere the Asset dev puts them. I wish packages had to be within ONE folder and then under a specific rool folder  Root/Packages/OVR

And of course moving them often breaks things.... Playmaker is a prime example 

drash
Heroic Explorer
Regarding the "OVRPlugin.debugDisplay" being removed - is there a replacement for this?   Are we no longer able to programmatically turn on the compositor's debug info?

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
OVRPlugin is an internal API. There is no replacement for OVRPlugin.debugDisplay, but you can DllImport ovr_SetInt from LibOVRRT*.dll and set ovrDebugHudStereoMode to whatever you want from C#.

digital
Explorer
Howdy:

I'm having issues with the `enableAdaptiveResolution`. When it jumps to a different Render Scale my view goes a bit 'cross eyed' as if its not positioning the view correctly.

Thoughts?

John