cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] Unity Build is much darker than Playmode in Editor

SAOTA
Honored Guest
For Some Reason my unity builds are much darker than what it looks like in the editor at runtime.

The Ovr Warning box is darker and more opaque. And everything is much darker.
Issue below.

17 REPLIES 17

SAOTA
Honored Guest
it seems the issue lies in the order of the image effects. but no matter what I do, they wont stay in a specified order, also both camera's rearrange the image effects into different orders. Both eyes now produce different images. :evil:

TheChuckster
Honored Guest
It might be a gamma correction issue.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Is there any way you can create a bare-bones example that shows the issue and send me all the project files?

I haven't seen this myself, but if I can reproduce I can probably get someone to look at it.

TheChuckster
Honored Guest
Interestingly enough, I do notice this same issue on GearVR (device vs. editor). The colors in the editor look really washed out.

SCDarky
Honored Guest
If you are noticing image effects going out of order, make sure to save your camera setup as a prefab and Apply the setting each time you change something about the order - otherwise it will reorder itself the next time you go into Playmode.

However, yes, things definitely get a lot darker inside the Oculus. I don't know if it always was like that, I got my Oculus in January and only used it with the Unity 5 betas and forward so for me it was always like that. I've compensated for it with a higher Tonemapping value that comes as close as possible to what I want it to look like through the device.

joehannouch
Honored Guest
I had the same results in my own Scene,
It only felt normal since it's a blend of 2 cameras, not to mention all that chromatic aberration and Barrel distortion filters (notice in the Game view when the 2 cameras are rendering how severe the distortions are, the process of filtering everything does affect the lightness of the scene).

I lightmapped everything and switched to Forward Rendering (Don't use deferred as it will play against you when it comes to Aliasing (ouch)).

My scenes are now well lit and very close to the Editor view.

SAOTA
Honored Guest
"SCDarky" wrote:
If you are noticing image effects going out of order, make sure to save your camera setup as a prefab and Apply the setting each time you change something about the order - otherwise it will reorder itself the next time you go into Playmode....

This works for Editor. Thanks.

Also
"joehannouch" wrote:
I lightmapped everything and switched to Forward Rendering (Don't use deferred as it will play against you when it comes to Aliasing (ouch)).

About to finish a large baking job and build to see if it makes a difference.

Hoping for easier implementation of image effects in future oculus integration.

SAOTA
Honored Guest
Still driving me crazy.

When I add the OVR mirror script to one of my camera's it renders correctly, but the other eye still renders dark.

When I invoke the menu it renders much closer to the brightness that I'm after.

Very Strange.

SAOTA
Honored Guest
It seems exporting a DX9 version of the build solves the darkness issue, but now its Judder I have to deal with.

[EDIT] This is the problem. Running a DX9 build in -force-d3d11 causes the same issue.

DX11 with the OVR Camera seems to disable Linear Color Space.

Other users with similar issues.
https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=19390

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=15111

It must be a new issue in Unity 5 as I did not have this issue with Unity 4