cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity 4.5 now supports skybox with Rift

virror
Explorer
From the Changelog:
"Fixed Skybox rendering when using custom camera projection matrices (e.g. when doing stereo rendering like Oculus Rift)."

This is great news and makes development even easier : )
11 REPLIES 11

excelynx
Honored Guest
Interesting. This was actually fixed in Unity 4.3 by Oculus using the 0.3.2 Preview SDK. I wonder if Unity and Oculus arrived at separate fixes for the same issue. Either way, it's nice to see Unity making improvements that benefit Rift development. 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
Great news!

sh0v0r
Protege
Also noticed this:

Stereoscopic rendering for DirectX 11

Many of today’s displays have a 3D feature and ship with 3D glasses, but few games are designed to take advantage of this. In Unity 4.5 we’ve added a Pro-only function that automates the process of building stereoscopic content for any Windows appliance running DirectX 11, making it much easier to build stereoscopic games.

virror
Explorer
Saw that too, but what exactly does it mean?

excelynx
Honored Guest
Direct3D 11.1 included some API-level functionality for stereoscopic rendering. This is likely Unity just continuing to add available features to their D3D11 renderer. I'd imagine it's only useful for traditional stereoscopic rendering like 3D TVs and monitors. The Rift has its own special rendering method that's so different from traditional stereoscopy that I doubt this was intended for use with the Rift.

Podden
Honored Guest
Just as a side node, the new Skybox now works perfect with old 0.2.5 SDK. We'll wait for a final 0.3.x with implementation so this is good news for us. Finally no more clipping Planes near float inaccuracy ;).

diablosv21
Honored Guest
"Podden" wrote:
Just as a side node, the new Skybox now works perfect with old 0.2.5 SDK. We'll wait for a final 0.3.x with implementation so this is good news for us. Finally no more clipping Planes near float inaccuracy ;).

Yeah I'm totally loving this. I've gone back over everything and re-applied the skyboxes as they should be and it looks great. I'm still using the 0.2.5 SDK as well.

Qix
Explorer
Looking at the sky reflection in water is messed up. Very uncomfortable. Looking up at the sky and it's perfect. Sky reflection in the water gives me a massive headache. I've tried different water shaders but all do the same.

Anyone come across this also?

cybereality
Grand Champion
What are you using for the water reflection? Can you post a simple example project with the problem?