cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Demos Take Forever To Load

bteitler
Level 2
On one of my machines, every demo built with Unity for Oculus Rift (not just my own builds) take like 10 - 15 seconds for the game to even get to the configuration popup. It also seems to freeze my whole PC during this process, making my mouse really juddery until the config window finalize pops up (or the splash screen if there is no default config window).

Non Oculus Unity demos boot up fine, and I don't have this issue on most of my other setups. Unreal Oculus demos load fine. I have no issues running any high end games in general. My PC is a beast:

PC:
CPU: Intel i7-4930K
GPU: Dual GTX Titan Black
RAM: 64GB

I've had this issue for quite a long time. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

kashen
Level 2
Are you using the latest Unity Runtime and the Unity 4 Integration package (0.4.4-beta) for your builds?

bteitler
Level 2
Yes I am, but in general it is a problem that affects pretty much every Unity build for Oculus stuff (even other people's builds) just on this specific PC. I've had the issue on all versions of the runtime / integration as far back as I remember. I used to think it was "normal" until I started working with other machines. I wonder if there is some magic parameter or application that interferes somehow.

kashen
Level 2
"bteitler" wrote:
Yes I am, but in general it is a problem that affects pretty much every Unity build for Oculus stuff (even other people's builds) just on this specific PC. I've had the issue on all versions of the runtime / integration as far back as I remember. I used to think it was "normal" until I started working with other machines. I wonder if there is some magic parameter or application that interferes somehow.

You mentioned you didn't have this problem when you worked with other machines. Did those other machines also share the same system specs as your computer and the same type of graphics card?

Also, does the same problem occur when you launch your build with either of the two modes available for Oculus (Direct Mode and Extended Mode)? I'm guessing it might be a driver issue of some kind (I could be totally wrong about this, but worth a shot making sure all your driver stuff is up to date). Is your graphics card running on the latest drivers for your system?

bteitler
Level 2
Drivers are up to date. I have a wide variety of machines, including ones with GTX 760, GTX 870m, Iris Pro 5200, all which work fine. This is basically my "work" machine, and all the others are used just for running Oculus stuff essentially, so they have only the bare essentials installed. Direct vs Extended makes no difference.

My guess is that there is something I have installed that interferes, but I have no idea what it could be. Really trying to avoid a reformat and I was hoping someone had seen this before and knew exactly what the issue was.

saviornt
Level 3
I am running into the same issue. Any Unity demo takes forever to load, while UE4 and other demos load fine.

Care to share your system specs? Ill post mine when I get home today.

edit: When I attempt to launch a Unity demo, the demo will error out saying that DirectX 11 is not supported and that the demo needs updated (or something to that effect, I'll double check when I get home)