cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRTK vs Unity XR Interaction Toolkit?

Sploosh
Explorer
I've been hearing a lot lately about VRTK 4 being convoluted and difficult to use. Yet VRTK 3.3 seems to still get praise. Unity XR seems to be popular as well, but potentially without a lot of features VRTK provides. Should I go with some version of VRTK or Unity XR if I'm looking to hopefully easily port to Quest, Vive, Index, and PSVR?
5 REPLIES 5

physto
Protege
Unity XR isn't ready yet. If you go that way, you're at Unity's mercy as to when you can ship. Also, the Steam XR plugin for Vive and Index is being developed by Valve and hasn't been released yet.

I gave up on VRTK. It has some great features but it felt totally over engineered to me. I'm using the latest Oculus integration and coding interactions myself as I need them.

foj
Honored Guest
Any updates on this? I am finding VRTK4 too tricky, and am thinking about jumping to Unity XR for Oculus Rift development. I am not a coder, so would prefer a more lego-like solution, but trying to implement VRTK seems pretty opaque anyway.
:neutral: TY.

Muskie
Explorer
Take a look at BNG's VR Interaction Framework. Not Free, but it's got pretty much everything VRTK had, and supports URP and the XR plugin system. 

Rakesh6720
Honored Guest
I hate to be the guy who does this but I did write a book about how to integrate VRTK4 with Unity.  You can check it out at Amazon under the title : Virtual Reality with VRTK4.  I honestly don't care if you buy it or not.  As someone who struggled learning to make experiences with VRTK4 and Unity, I know how frustrating it can be so I just want to put out there that my resource exists.

BLANX.de
Protege
For years we were using VRTK 3, because we had a lot of prefabs prepared for it.
Never got grip on the 4 version. Looked like an extremely painful setup.

But my problem with VRTK is that it just eats too much performance. Thats why I plan to switch to another framework like the native XR Interaction toolkit or the mentioned VR Interaction Framework.