cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the Direct to Rift option ever be removed

phileday
Level 5
A quick question about Unity and the fact that when building your project you get another run file "Direct to Rift". I've always thought that this was a development thing and at some point this would be removed and direct support would be implemented into the original run file. I was expecting this to happen in the new SDK but it's still there. Is there any plans to remove this or are we always going to have two run files?

Just a question to the developers and anyone in the know and also to poke minds and peoples feelings about this.
5 REPLIES 5

virror
Level 3
Unity 5.1 will have native Rift support, maybe there will be some changes there.

PhyterJet
Level 2
It would be nice to have a VR option in the default unity game launcher.

MS80
Level 2
Unity Pro developers can already test the native VR support in 5.1.0.b3!
Now you can use the dk2 inside the editor. Biggest change is you only have a normal camera instead of ovr camera rig, it really makes things a lot easier! Have a look at the docs:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GkS ... edit?pli=1
Native VR support is now dk2 only, but other devices will follow! It is a big step in the right direction.

phileday
Level 5
This all does look very promising. I do have reservations on going over to Unity 5.1 straight away though. Partly because I'm not totally sure how the Unity build and the Oculus SDK build will be working together. For example when Oculus update there SDK Unity build what implications does this then have on the Unity integration. Would the integration then be behind the Oculus SDK. I also have a few Oculus script calls such as reset pose is the health and safety warning still there, lock positional tracking etc. These would have to be reprogram I'm guessing.

My question is, are they going to drop the Oculus Unity SDK updates and instead we are going to wait for Unity updates for the latest integration? How do I know I have the latest Oculus integration updates by following the Unity beta builds or by integrating the Oculus SDK package myself and sticking to Unity 5.0?

virror
Level 3
The warning is still there and there are an integrated API for stuff like accessing rotation/position and reseting the view (this last one is not implemented but are on the todo list). Since its integrated it will be dependent on Unity updates yes, but since they are doing patch releases every week they can hopefully get them out quite fast. Also dont forget all the optimizations that they have thrown in in the new 5.1 version like shadows only rendering once and better support for VR in editor.