cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing UE defaults

kamau00
Explorer
I am in the process of learning UE4 to port my game (The Stacks) to it.

There are a lot of oddities to configuration that needed adjusted. My hope is that this helps others starting to use UE4 for Oculus Rift development:

#1. The scale of default door and frame are wrong. The door is 200cm tall. That is 6.56 feet. Doors in my house are 6.8 feet. This means you need it to be 208cm. That is a scaling factor of 1.04. That doesn't mean I'm going to use their door frame but if you are using that to gauge if scale is correct in the game, 3 inches is a big deal. I felt like my head was scraping the top of the door.

#2. I'm 5 foot 8. The default height for a player is much taller. To adjust this go to the MyCharacter blueprint, click default and search for height. you want to set "capsule half height" to 1/2 your height in centimeters. My height is 172cm/2 = 86.

The next set of adjustments require a post processing volume. You can find it in "All Classes" if you don't have one. Drag it into your scene. search for unbound detail and check that so it applies to everything.

#3. There is a blur as you approach objects. This is an anti-alias method of temporal and it is super annoying. search the post processing volume for AA Method. Set that to none.

#4. Lens flare has to go. Search for Lens and set the Intensity and BokehSize to 0.

#5. Scenes in the rift get unusually bright. That is auto exposure. Search for exp. I don't know exactly the best settings but I am using min brightness = .5, max brightness = 1, auto exposure = 0.

The other thing that bothered me was the IPD feels different. Up to now I hadn't adjusted it on the DK1. UDK3 felt perfect. I had to adjust it for UE4 to make it not give me a headache.

That is a start I will update this thread when I am deep into development and have sorted through any other unpleasantness.

My initial impression with UE4 versus UDK3 is that it doesn't feel as nice in the Rift. UDK3 felt like Half Life 2 which was very 'crisp'. UE4 feels more 'fuzzy' like Unity. UE4 certainly comes packed with more flexibility but it feels like a step back for Rift support.
16 REPLIES 16

cybereality
Grand Champion
Interesting findings. Thanks for sharing.

chelsearift
Explorer
Thanks man this helped me with my brightness issues

knack
Honored Guest
"kamau00" wrote:

#1. The scale of default door and frame are wrong. The door is 200cm tall. That is 6.56 feet. Doors in my house are 6.8 feet. This means you need it to be 208cm. That is a scaling factor of 1.04. That doesn't mean I'm going to use their door frame but if you are using that to gauge if scale is correct in the game, 3 inches is a big deal. I felt like my head was scraping the top of the door.

The standard door tall in my country its 200cm

#4. Lens flare has to go. Search for Lens and set the Intensity and BokehSize to 0.

you check with the rift? i like that effect, its a real effect, anyway i will try decreasing when i can check with DK2

owenwp
Expert Protege
Disabling auto exposure is not a great solution. It means that you have to give up contrast between indoor and outdoor areas, and physically-based lighting values become unusable. There should be settings to adjust it to be darker, or maybe there is a bug.

artyom17
Expert Protege
A lot of useful info here, thanks! Keep posting VR tips to this topic (making it sticky)

n00854180t
Explorer
There's a separate PostProcess volume in the Landscape demo for 4.4 labeled GlobalPostProcessOculus - has different settings than the normal one, and seems to still have auto exposure enabled (but with different settings).

I don't have a DK2 yet so I can't test it, but that might be a good place to start for the post processing.

Rirath
Honored Guest
Thanks for bringing this thread back, missed it the first time around.

spyro
Expert Protege
#3. There is a blur as you approach objects. This is an anti-alias method of temporal and it is super annoying. search the post processing volume for AA Method. Set that to none.

Temporal aliasing gives fantastic results in VR as it kills nearly all the annoying pixel crawling. I would not recommend to deactivate it.

spyro

n00854180t
Explorer
"spyro" wrote:

Temporal aliasing gives fantastic results in VR as it kills nearly all the annoying pixel crawling. I would not recommend to deactivate it.

spyro

Really? I'm surprised it looks good in VR considering how badly it looks on a monitor, with the weird jittery pixel swimming effect it causes.

Not saying I don't believe you, I'm just surprised (don't have my DK2 to test it myself yet).