cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup Multiplayer with Oculus Subsystem?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey,

I'm looking for any guides on building a networked VR game using the oculus subsystem via blueprints in Unreal.
I don't seem to see anything online.

I've found this: https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/vr-ar-development/106631-single-multiplayer-touch-vive-proteus-blueprint-only-template

But it's overloaded, and buggy.
I've managed to get networking working with steam subsystem. But I'd like to use the oculus subsystem.
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed after enabling OSS I received the following BP Nodes: Where is there documentation on how to properly use these to create a networked game? b4kp4ep3soef.png

Neontop
Heroic Explorer
Hi @JohnSahhar you have one template for unreal inside the platform SDK.
You will have access to many function s inside widgets.
I think that you have those template in sdk 1.24 and also 1.28.
Just download and unzip to see for the examples. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Neontop said:

thanks for that. The link for those looking:

then in the folder: \Samples\UnrealSample

has what it looks like we're after 🙂 Strange it's not included in the unreal samples folder in the actual unreal git repository though would make it easier to find and more consistant keeping it with the other unreal samples

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

@@aussieburgerVR
aussieburgerVR said:

Neontop said:

thanks for that. The link for those looking:

then in the folder: \Samples\UnrealSample

has what it looks like we're after 🙂 Strange it's not included in the unreal samples folder in the actual unreal git repository though would make it easier to find and more consistant keeping it with the other unreal samples

Did you able to make the session work? its been a week and i'm trying to make it work but no success till now.

Neontop
Heroic Explorer
Hi @Mohammed_hashim the MP session is working with the UnrealSample inside the SDK.
I think that it is better to use the example corresponding to the Unreal distribution of Oculus git.
I'm working on the Oculus Avatar MP but still have problems as I'm not a pro in c++ and also with replication.
Do you have 2 Rifts to test MP ?
Here is the spec for UE4 4.21

The 4.21 branch of our GitHub contains oculus-4.21.0-preview-3-1.30.0.

It is based off Partner-Oculus-4.21 @4514247, and contains OVRPlugin 1.30.0, Platform SDK 1.24.0, Audio SDK 1.18.0, and Avatar SDK 1.12.0.

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

Neontop said:

Hi @Mohammed_hashim the MP session is working with the UnrealSample inside the SDK.
I think that it is better to use the example corresponding to the Unreal distribution of Oculus git.
I'm working on the Oculus Avatar MP but still have problems as I'm not a pro in c++ and also with replication.
Do you have 2 Rifts to test MP ?
Here is the spec for UE4 4.21

The 4.21 branch of our GitHub contains oculus-4.21.0-preview-3-1.30.0.

It is based off Partner-Oculus-4.21 @4514247, and contains OVRPlugin 1.30.0, Platform SDK 1.24.0, Audio SDK 1.18.0, and Avatar SDK 1.12.0.

Hi Neontop
I tried the sample but i didn't even understand how to use it to let stranger player join, i mean the first instance create the session but how can i join that session from 2nd instance of the sample project ? there are no join/find session button in the UI. 
I want to make a simple browse session and i'm failing. usual 1st player create session then the 2nd player find it and join. no idea whats going on here and how to set it up .
BTW I don't own 2 Rift i'm using one PC to run both instance on 2d screen and based on the document and the readme file with the SDK it says its possible.

If you know how to use the sample to let the 2nd player find the session pls let me know.

Neontop
Heroic Explorer
Hi @Mohammed_hashim.
MP session in UE4 with Oculus subsystem  only works on packaged project.
To test the MP with UE4 I was using the plugin of mordental Vr Expansion as you can use 1 HMD on one PC and one FPS on second PC.
The session is handled on the widget OSSSession which take care of Creating sessions..and also different type of network connections.
I using mainly 3 widgets: the main menu, the session widget and the friendliest widget.
And I can confirm that it is working.
?
Now as a Start Member I received also a Rift/Touch so I was able to test the platform SDK with the 2 HMD with success. 

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

Neontop said:

Hi @Mohammed_hashim.
MP session in UE4 with Oculus subsystem  only works on packaged project.
To test the MP with UE4 I was using the plugin of mordental Vr Expansion as you can use 1 HMD on one PC and one FPS on second PC.
The session is handled on the widget OSSSession which take care of Creating sessions..and also different type of network connections.
I using mainly 3 widgets: the main menu, the session widget and the friendliest widget.
And I can confirm that it is working.
?
Now as a Start Member I received also a Rift/Touch so I was able to test the platform SDK with the 2 HMD with success. 

So you haven't tried it on the same PC? since sample project doesn't need HMD and That's what i'm trying to find out right now 🙂  
And congratulation on your 2nd HMD i still haven't got mine and it might take a while.

architetto_mess
Explorer
Hi Neontop, according to you, there's a way to connect in multiplayer two Oculus Quest in Unreal Engine? Thank's in advance!