cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus-ready UDK Now Available!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey everyone,

The Oculus-ready version of the UDK is now available from the Oculus Developer Center!

You can download it right from the Downloads page:
Oculus Downloads

The documentation can be downloaded from the Documentation page:
Oculus Documentation

Discuss the Oculus-ready UDK over in the new UDK forum:
Oculus - UDK Integration Forum

We're looking forward to seeing what type of unreal virtual reality experiences you guys create!

-- Nate
83 REPLIES 83

CountBorgula
Protege
Um, where is the download link for the Oculus ready UDK?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"CountBorgula" wrote:
Um, where is the download link for the Oculus ready UDK?

Under the 0.1 Downloads tab in the Downloads page in the Developer Center.

I've said it before and here I go again. The 0.1 and 0.2 downloads tab just seem to be different versions of the same thing. How about renaming them to SDK and UDK so it make sense to people...

paver
Honored Guest
I downloaded it last night!

artyom17
Expert Protege
Some updates about upcoming new UDK with Oculus support. I know, our current UDK is unacceptably out-of-date and for the last several months we worked hard to make a new UDK. This is a pretty involved process and we need help from Epic guys to make a build of the UDK. (btw, answering on question above: UDK is located in '0.1' tab because it is using OculusSDK 0.1.5; once we have new UDK it will appear under '0.2' tab and '0.1' tab will be gone).
So, we already have a preliminary UDK installation that ALMOST passed QA. In the last minute we got news from Scaleform that their SDK 4.2.24 has a pretty critical crash that might occur if ActionScript 3.0 is used. It is not that critical for UDKGame, since it uses ActionScript 2 only, but I know, a lot of you, guys, switched to ActionScript 3 long time ago. We can't release UDK knowing it has a crash in ActionScript 3.0, therefore we have to delay the release and ask Epic to rebuild it with the fixed Scaleform 4.2.24 (thanks to Scaleform guys for the fix!). I hope, this won't take much longer, we'll keep you posted.

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"artyom17" wrote:
We can't release UDK knowing it has a crash in ActionScript 3.0, therefore we have to delay the release and ask Epic to rebuild it with the fixed Scaleform 4.2.24 (thanks to Scaleform guys for the fix!). I hope, this won't take much longer, we'll keep you posted.
Yeah, because you know, we would rather deal with the completely broken current implementation that prevents us from using scaleform, simplygon, bink, speedtree and has numerous other issues, than deal with a functional version that has issues with scaleform right? :lol:

Just teasing guys, just teasing.
😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
But will there ever be a day where the latest UDK from Epic will have native support for the Oculus Rift, or will it always have to be a custom release? And most importantly, why? Why won't Epic include native Oculus Rift support in UDK?

artyom17
Expert Protege
I think, this is a question to Epic, not to us. However, most likely, the answer is 'no' simply because they are done with developing of UE3 and going to concentrate on UE4. As you can see, there are no new UE3 QA updates since Feb 2013, July UDK has nothing new but some mobile-related fixes.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"artyom17" wrote:
I think, this is a question to Epic, not to us. However, most likely, the answer is 'no' simply because they are done with developing of UE3 and going to concentrate on UE4. As you can see, there are no new UE3 QA updates since Feb 2013, July UDK has nothing new but some mobile-related fixes.

Fair enough.

unity2k
Honored Guest
The communication is refreshing guys. Talking with people that may have put everything else on hold in order to sink our teeth into development and keeping us informed goes far in allaying vivid imaginations from wandering into the depths of despair (it can be an affliction of the creative). Even if you tell us stories, it's better than what we can come up with. Keep the conduit open and continue talking with us.

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"unity2k" wrote:
The communication is refreshing guys. Talking with people that may have put everything else on hold in order to sink our teeth into development and keeping us informed goes far in allaying vivid imaginations from wandering into the depths of despair (it can be an affliction of the creative). Even if you tell us stories, it's better than what we can come up with. Keep the conduit open and continue talking with us.

While I agree that the conversation is refreshing (and certainly preferential to silence) it does little to allay any concerns when what is being said is just another excuse for why UDK development is put on hold.
Don't you think that my statement above says it all?
Artyom17 tells us that the reason for further delays is because of a problem with the scaleformSDK that may cause issues, when the current implementation that we have is broken of all 3rd party tools, and your willing to take that at face?
What would you rather have unity2k- UDK sans simplygon, scaleform, speedtree and bink, or UDK with a possibly iffy scaleform implementation?
All of these early builds are not expected to be without issues, so why would Oculus suggest that we wait until things are 'just right' when they are currently completely broken? It just doesn't make sense. 😐

Come on Artyom17, perhaps you could put my concerns to rest right here? I would be happy to leave the situation alone were you to provide me with a reasonable explanation as to
a) Why did it take Oculus developers over 5 months (the original OculusUDK was posted on April 1st ;), go figure), in which time OculusUDK did not receive one single update (not even for minor bug-fixes?), to decide they would pass over development to Epic, and why were we not told about the switch.
b) Why would you even bother (I don't believe you would) to make the assumption that people would rather have a completely broken build than a build that might pose some problems with scaleform?
c) Why should we believe what we are being told when another member of these forums has proved able to complete a large portion of the job by himself in less than a weeks time. If he can do it using a fresh UDK why bother to tell us a private build is necessary at all?
d) Why shouldn't we be suspicious given the repeated flaky excuses (the tragic passing of Mr. Reisse is the only one that makes sense and is completely valid), and the ridiculous (even inexcusable) delays (if one man can do...)?
e) Why didn't you tell those poor old Unity guys that they could only get Rift support with Pro, up-front?

I can only hope that the other 'indie' developers reading these forums can put two and two together and see what has been right in there faces all along.

There are well over 17 THOUSAND Oculus Rift "developer kits" out there in the wild and counting, fast. Oculus is big business and it's not hard to see where loyalties would lay.
Now don't get me wrong, I understand business is business guys, and to succeed you must make money and hearken to the call of your investors; and I want Oculus to succeed because I LOVE what you produce; but a promise is a promise.

Give us the build with the broken scaleform implementation, and update us again when things are fixed. I'd take a crack in the canvas any day over the busted bits that we are currently left to attempt to squander our resources with.

Above all, don't take it personally (I won't). I know you just work for the man, and you were probably hired to do just what you are doing. I just don't mind putting myself out there to fight the good fight and make sure a solid is where a solid should be.

Considering where your company got it's footing, you owe it to us.

ThankYou.