cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[QUEST 2] UE4 crashes when open level

FSkyline
Honored Guest
Hi people!  Today I finally got a Quest 2 device and we are experiencing some serious issues with when porting a project to this new hardware. 

We work with Unreal Engine 4 (v4.25.3) and with the Quest 1 everything was working great, but at the time to run the build in Quest 2 we found that using Open Level crashes the execution (using the console command  crashes too)

Is there any way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!
22 REPLIES 22

fun_eris
Honored Guest

I'm having this issue on Quest 1 (armv7) with 4.25.1 Unreal repo (not Oculus fork). https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1755531-unreal-engine-4-25-... This post in the Unreal forums has a workaround that worked for me.

My understanding of the issue is that the poster seems to think it has to do with the transform getting updated again
late in the rendering which is marking any visual components parented
to the Camera or the MotionController as dirty and in need of a
reflection capture. The ensure() in ComputeRelevance() assumes that they
should not need a reflection capture at this point and throws this crash.

Extremys
Explorer
Hey all, I'm trying to run Locomotion Map sample on my Quest 2. I used 5 October Oculus sources from last built UE fork 4.25.3 (I followed very carefully the "unreal quick start guide quest") to set up the project template but when I launch the projet on the Quest 2 from the project launcher I've blackout screen.
I'm newbie but already dev, can you help me? Log file joined Thanks a lot!
I'm trying to learn how to dev with UE on the Quest 2 but I'm very surprised to have some troubles to just use the basic templates.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're definitely using v20.1 btw?

I don't have a Quest 2 so cannot confirm just wanted to highlight the release notes which highlight:

Support for Quest 2 added to the integration only in the Oculus version 20.1
which corresponds to ue4 plugin version 1.52.1:

You can tell if you have the right version compiled if you can specifically select Quest 2 from the Oculus device support drop down list in the Android settings:

Side note:
Such a bummer UE4.26 comes with only 1.51.0 (so v19) which does not support Quest 2 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you find a solution?

I am using Quest 1 with UE 4.26(launcher version) and getting the same issue that the app crashes on level transition with "Ensure condition failed: Scene->GetShadingPath() != EShadingPath::Mobile."

I tried both Support arm64/armv7 but neither worked.

fun_eris
Honored Guest
@torano See my above comment. I fixed the link (accidentally posted this same forum post previously) and the fix in that unreal forum worked for me and others.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just found the cause of my problem. https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/1000914/oculus-quest-crash-after-i-call-print-string-node...

If you are getting "Ensure condition failed: Scene->GetShadingPath() != EShadingPath::Mobile." error and crash on level transition, maybe your PrintString nodes on BeginPlay crashes your app not level transitioning. In this case, try Shipping build or DisableAllScreenMessages command.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just found the cause of my problem. https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/1000914/oculus-quest-crash-after-i-call-print-string-node...

If you are getting "Ensure condition failed: Scene->GetShadingPath() != EShadingPath::Mobile." error and crash on level transition, maybe your PrintString nodes on BeginPlay crashes your app not level transitioning. In this case, try Shipping build or DisableAllScreenMessages command.

Anonymous
Not applicable

i3oi3o
Honored Guest
On 4.26, The crash on DebugCanvas can come from message from Engine itself such as doing CSV profiler, stat unit etc.
To avoid crash, You need to implement following code in UE4 source.
Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Private/Slate/DebugCanvas.cpp
void FDebugCanvasDrawer::DrawRenderThread(FRHICommandListImmediate& RHICmdList, const void* InWindowBackBuffer)
{
+#if PLATFORM_ANDROID
+ return;
+#endif
The crash is related to RenderTarget binding in this function.

You can also configure it in DefaultEngine.ini
[/Script/Engine.Engine]
; This is the startup state of the OnScreenDebugMessage system
bEnableOnScreenDebugMessages=false

Anonymous
Not applicable
Disabling low latency updates on my motion controllers fixed the crash for me.