cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Help Implementing Touch, Oculus Avatars, and Hand Poses in UE4

Pinelli
Explorer
As we get closer to the launch of Touch, I've been putting together an Unreal project designed specifically for the Rift and Touch so I can jump right into development.

Note: I'm on the 4.14 build and using blueprints for my game logic.

So far, I've set up all of the CapTouch values to a display widget to see how they are affected when using the controllers and all is well.

Where I'm having some trouble is figuring out how to access the hand poses, if at all possible.  I'd like to use the pointing, pinching, thumbs-up, and OK gestures as various inputs for teleporting, grabbing, etc. but I can't figure out how to access them unless these are based on the CapTouch values.  Any help here would be great! 😄

Also, I'm assuming that the MotionController component applies to the Touch controllers as well as the Vive controllers.  The Oculus gamepad events don't have their own specific events for the grip, thumb rest, or home buttons. Clarification on this would be great!

Finally, I'd like to get away from the default VR Template and use the Oculus Avatar for my character.  Is there any way to access the Oculus Avatar hand and head-neck models from Unreal?

Obviously without Touch setting up a project is a bit difficult but I'm trying to implement the basics based on what I've seen in the OC3 keynotes.  I'm hoping to get started developing with Touch right away and don't want to waste the time to set these things up, I want to dive into the fun stuff ASAP. 

Thanks in advance for any help!
4 REPLIES 4

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
I'd like to use the pointing, pinching, thumbs-up, and OK gestures

We are developing a UE4 Avatar SDK Integration, but it won't be available at Touch launch. At launch, you could directly use the C++ Avatar SDK and write your own plugin to surface the gestures you need. Or you could build your own heuristics on top of CapTouch.

gamepad events don't have their own specific events for the grip, thumb rest, or home buttons

Right, there isn't a path for emulating motion controller input with gamepad. Apps typically handle them separately, which is hard to avoid because of the differences in button layout. And the gamepad doesn't have direct equivalents to Touch's CapTouch, home, or grip.

Pinelli
Explorer
Thanks for the help, definitely cleared things up for me!

TK.Prince
Protege
Some news, from UE4 Avatar Integration ? I see that you added 3D model of Touchs for Accessories manufactor. Do you will add simple 3D model to game developper too ? I've 3 models, and no one have a perfetc alignement with its buttons.

Cordially.

inloopvr
Honored Guest
Any word on when the Oculus SDK will be available for Unreal?