Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreal Engine is now FREE

Nedo
Explorer
5 REPLIES 5

BluePotato
Honored Guest
How can Unity compete? Unity Pro is $75/month.

Unreal went from $20/month to free? And from the research I've been doing this past week, has more advantages over Unity than disadvantages.

I've been told that Unreal out-of-the-box builds for Oculus Rift have more eye-candy turned on by default, so they look better, but there are more performance issues with UE4 builds.

Unity builds have better frame rates out-of-the-box, but less eye candy by default (and most of the eye candy requires paid plug-ins or the premium version of Unity)

mrcrisp
Protege
This is amazing news, I was seriously considering cancelling my sub to it because I am re-budgeting my year and this could not have come at a better time.

Additionally they have credited us with $30 to spend in the store, with VR seemingly taking off now, 2015 is looking `Epic`? :mrgreen:

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I've been doing the on/off/on subscription dance for the last several months so this really helps me. $30 in the Asset Store? Sound FX!

cybereality
Grand Champion
This is quite amazing news. Actually, it's unbelievable. You could almost say it's... Unreal.

solidshadow
Explorer
Amazing! [keeps trowing instant karma points at epic]