cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreal engine, UDK size "feeling" ?

OlivierJT
Explorer
Hello everyone,

As you know on the unreal engine they sat a human size is 32x32x96 (unreal unit) 96 is height
I build everything with this in mind.
So the pawn and the assets have a great relationship with each other (don't we all... ^_^)

BUT when I go face to face with one of my NPC, "nose to nose" he is at the right size but it "look" too small.
Only a rifter can tell what I mean.
If I put my hand around his head (virtually of course) the size feel too small.
I couldn't manage to change fov, so maybe it's that... ?

-----------------------------------------
Try this :
-New map
-Drop Liam Cathode and Ironguard
-Choose Deathmatch.
-Go face to face.
They look small !
or is it my perception of things ?
-----------------------------------------

Maybe it's me... I wanted to have your feedback on that.

Unreal size feel small... is that the same for you ?
20 REPLIES 20

sobchak
Honored Guest
I'm not sure how to do it in the UDK yet, but have you adjusted the IPD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpupillary_distance) value to match your pupils? I've read that can have a big effect on the way the scale of things is perceived.

OlivierJT
Explorer
Oh IPD ^_^
Well I saw the settings in the Engine ini file, I'll try that.
I have to mesure mine first ^_^

FYI : UDK\UDK-2013-03\Engine\Config\BaseEngine.ini
[Engine.Stereo3D] area
EyeDistance=0.064000
(IPD)

Inscothen
Explorer
how tall are you? maybe your character is taller than you and everything you build just seems too small.

fov, eye height, eye depth, and ipd all matter when viewing objects to scale.

96 unreal units is around 192cm(6 feet 3.6 inches tall).

OlivierJT
Explorer
I am 1.80m
96 is the top so maybe my eyes are at 92 or something.

The other character eye line cross with mine, same height, same body proportion.
I have the exact same feeling with UT3 characters dropped on a map.

The IPD didn't help, it helped with a better sense of depth, and I tried wrong IPD too, I felt my eyes were torn appart ^_^

I tried many scales tonight, of pawn and NPC, scale by 2 looks better... 1.8 seems correct to me.
I even tried 0.1 and 3 it was funny ^_^

Thoth_The3x
Explorer
I'm going to bump this post a bit since I have a question about scale. I'm designing a game completely around the Rift, so before I start blocking out any levels, I'd like to know if I should go with the original UDK scale of 96 units for the player, or if it needs to be changed.

Anyone have any experience yet with scale in the UDK?

OlivierJT
Explorer
Yes , well, after a few weeks of testing 96 is not good.
I built characters and environment based on that and when In front of a character they seems too small.

They look correct when I scale them a 1.3 (a 96 based)

Try it yourself, just create a head right for the 96 size,put it in a level and put the same one x1.3 and walk to it with the rift. as close as you can.

At 1.3 a self body look exactly the same size when look myself in and out the rift.

Now all my pawns are at 1.3 ^_^

Tell me what you think,and come back here to share.
Are you rifted yet ?

Thoth_The3x
Explorer
Unfortunately I don't have my Rift yet, probably mid-June or so. I'm still learning Maya, so it's not like I'm in a huge hurry, I have way too many projects, but my Rift game is something... different.

Anyway, a 1.3 scale would put the player at ~125units, so for now I'll probably try to design around that and then re-evaluate when I get my Rift. Adjusting the IPD, FoV, etc. didn't help with the feeling of it being off at all?

OlivierJT
Explorer
IPD didn't help, it's just making you "easier" on the stereoscopy
FOV, I couldn't change it.

I would advise you to build all UDK size (96) because you can scale anything in a simple settings when adding object to your map and your pawn, to scale it is just a line of code in your class.

The camera doesn't scale so even scaling it doesn't change anything also.

Just so you know I did a true first person even on a UDK pawn and with one in from of me they look like small kids kinda.

The thing is with UDK they did not build it for true fp and the udk pawn is just an over sized pair of arms, a camera and a HUD attached to it. it's out of scale to it's surrounding world (probably to avoid Z precision trouble, I am not sure)

Just be careful it's just my advice. it's probably better to confirm with someone else "feeling".

Thoth_The3x
Explorer
Meh, I'll do 96 and wait for my Rift. And yeah, I have no intention of using the UDK pawns, heh. My game will use casual modern day people anyway, the scale has to be perfect.