cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distortions on amd? Oculus Rift

christianled59
Honored Guest
Our build review shows we have extreme visual distortions on amd cards and performance issues on windows 7 (no issues on windows 10). Anybody know what might be causing this? We don't have an amd card to test with. 
4 REPLIES 4

wirelitesoft.dev
Adventurer
I had a similar issue, my issue was animated grass and leaves on the trees in my scene having too many shaders caused lag spikes and a jittering screen, try reducing the amount of animated foliage and or windows that have complex glass shaders. that is also a performance hit on AMD cards.

wirelitesoft.dev
Adventurer
And try not to have volumetric fog. that is not good in VR because how much of a performance hit it has on shaders.
there are  a few videos on youtube about optimizing for rift. also if your models have overlapping uvs. this will grind a game to a halt because in oculus rift you are not rendering 1 scene. it renders 2, 1 for each eye so optimizing is a huge must.

christianled59
Honored Guest

And try not to have volumetric fog. that is not good in VR because how much of a performance hit it has on shaders.
there are  a few videos on youtube about optimizing for rift. also if your models have overlapping uvs. this will grind a game to a halt because in oculus rift you are not rendering 1 scene. it renders 2, 1 for each eye so optimizing is a huge must.

I'll try removing fog and making the foliage not animated. I still find it odd that I'm only having this issue with windows 7 and amd cards. I have not once had this issue on SteamVR. 

Game in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy3BJZbRfOs

Vinz
Explorer
Hi christian,
i have a similar problem that cause me a rejection of my build on the store, because of distorsion and only on AMD 290, the only performance test i failed.
i do not have access to this card so i can not test this issue, i tested my game on 4 differents GTX  (from 970 to 1080) card without any problem. My game is also created with Unreal (4.20 version).
As i see that your game is now available on the oculus store , i supposed you find a way to deal with this problem.
Can you tell me and others what finally solve the problem for your game ? 
Thanks a lot.