cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ES2 will be removed from UE4 4.25 :(

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege
The only way for me to get 60 fps on mobile VR using UE4 is to use ES2 since ES3.1 and Vulcan is very slow on UE4. and removing ES2 from UE4 4.25 is a big disadvantage for me, what a shame, I wonder if you guys use ES2, Vulcan or ES3.1 for your current project and if this decision will affect your future release?

Source : https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/tech-blog/updates-to-mobile-rendering-support-in-unreal-engine-4-...
4 REPLIES 4

motorsep
Rising Star
ES3.1 is blazing fast and a way better than ES2, since like 4.21..

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

motorsep said:

Did you publish a full game using ES3.1? I published my game called "StardustVR" on Go, and the difference between ES2 and ES3.1 was huge, ~ 10 fps gain from 50fps to 60fps using 4.21. 

motorsep
Rising Star

motorsep said:

Did you publish a full game using ES3.1? I published my game called "StardustVR" on Go, and the difference between ES2 and ES3.1 was huge, ~ 10 fps gain from 50fps to 60fps using 4.21. 

I was working a game for Go that was a lot more complex than what I see on the Stardust VR video. I didn't have any performance gains in ES2 and I used ES3.1 all the way. Do you use mobile HDR and PP at all in your game ?

On top of that Go will most likely die off soon anyway, so I don't even worry about that HMD and whether UE4 will support it on not.

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

motorsep said:

I was working a game for Go that was a lot more complex than what I see on the Stardust VR video. I didn't have any performance gains in ES2 and I used ES3.1 all the way. Do you use mobile HDR and PP at all in your game ?

On top of that Go will most likely die off soon anyway, so I don't even worry about that HMD and whether UE4 will support it on not.

Yes indeed, my game was very simple stationary game, and it was really hard for me to get 60fps, I couldn't hit stable 60fps using ES3.1. maybe you got better performance on ES3.1 due to the occlusion culling since ES2 lacks this feature. 
And no I couldn't use HDR since mobile HDR /PP was out of the question for mobile VR, with an empty level I was getting ~ 37fps.  I tried Valcun using 4.21 and it had no advantage for me. the only way to get stable 60 fps for me during testing with 4.21 was ES2 during that time.