cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need clarification about Open GL 3.1 and forward Rendering in UE4

juanmilanese
Honored Guest
So, If I'm not mistaken, OpenGL 3.1 doesn't works with forward shading in UE4 as version 4.21 right?
I'm using 4.21 and runnin on an OculusGO

also, a quick aside.
The Monoscopic Far Field thing isn't working, right? or is just me?

cheers

Juan

8 REPLIES 8

prokshit
Explorer
I asked a kinda similar question and got no real solution/Answer, hope this post does. Also, if I don't use forward shading can I compile my project to use ES 3.1? Monoscopic Far Field was disabled for due to some alpha channel, don't remember why specifically. 

beaulima9933
Expert Protege

Depth Fade Material + Mobile HDR Disabled does not
work with OpenGL 3.1 on Oculus Go, BUG #UE-67885 (Encountered with 4.20, 4.21, FIXED in 4.22)

Monoscopic Far Field & MultiView chosen at the
same time = crash , BUG #UE-66827 (Seen in 4.20, 4.21, FIXED in 4.22, Monoscopic
Far Field removed for 4.22)

Mobile Occlusion (ES3.1) is buggy with multiview
enabled on Mobile VR platforms, BUG #UE-62347 (seen in 4.20,  FIXED in 4.21)

prokshit
Explorer
I can't seem to package/deploy my application to use OpenGL ES3.1, what do you think is causing that to happen?

motorsep
Rising Star
I am using 4.21.2 from Oculus branch and it works fine with ES3.1

prokshit
Explorer
I figured it out, it uses ES3.1 but the exported App's Obb and apk files carry over the naming as ES2.

motorsep
Rising Star

prokshit said:

I figured it out, it uses ES3.1 but the exported App's Obb and apk files carry over the naming as ES2.

yeah, that's just lazy coding on Epic's part :wink:

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

Depth Fade Material + Mobile HDR Disabled does not
work with OpenGL 3.1 on Oculus Go, BUG #UE-67885 (Encountered with 4.20, 4.21, FIXED in 4.22)

Monoscopic Far Field & MultiView chosen at the
same time = crash , BUG #UE-66827 (Seen in 4.20, 4.21, FIXED in 4.22, Monoscopic
Far Field removed for 4.22)

Mobile Occlusion (ES3.1) is buggy with multiview
enabled on Mobile VR platforms, BUG #UE-62347 (seen in 4.20,  FIXED in 4.21)

That's a lot of fixes, I spent days to find out the reason for my crashes is one of above bugs you mentioned, I wonder if you tested GPU particle on 4.22 since it had a bug on mobile which causes huge performance drop even with simple 1 GPU particle on 4.21.

juanmilanese
Honored Guest

Monoscopic Far Field & MultiView chosen at the same time = crash , BUG #UE-66827 (Seen in 4.20, 4.21, FIXED in 4.22, Monoscopic Far Field removed for 4.22)

So they "fixed" Monoscopic Far Field by removing it from the engine... interesting