cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OculusVR plugin settings missing

virtualHCG
Expert Protege
I found that the settings entry for OculusVR is missing under the Plugin settings section of the project settings [ https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unreal/latest/concepts/unreal-oculus-utilities-window/ ]. I found this related post in the UE4 Answerhub https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/922678/view.html that states the solution is to install the Oculus Software for Rift. This is a bit problematic since it's not required for Quest development and the installer doesn't allow to select a different drive than the system drive (in my case a smaller SSD) and the install is large. Is this intended or a bug? It's not a major showstopper but it would be great to have access to the Mobile settings section and the project settings utilities.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
You need to activate the OculusVR plugin first as per the first 2 steps of the link:

1. Select Edit > Project Settings.
  2. Scroll down and select Plugins > OculusVR.
Do you have the plugin enabled? If you have the plugin enabled but don't see the plugin settings under project settings then you are using an old version of the engine that did not have these settings in place yet. Which version of the unreal engine are you using and from which Branch?

virtualHCG
Expert Protege

You need to activate the OculusVR plugin first as per the first 2 steps of the link:

Do you have the plugin enabled? If you have the plugin enabled but don't see the plugin settings under project settings then you are using an old version of the engine that did not have these settings in place yet. Which version of the unreal engine are you using and from which Branch?

Thanks for your reply. I do have the plugin enabled and I'm using the latest 4.23 Unreal Oculus integration I built from GitHub. I just realized that for some reason my link to the AnsweHub post didn't show in my first post. As you can see here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/922678/view.html other developers are experiencing the same issue and you can see that an Epic Games staff found out that for that entry to appear the Oculus software needs to be installed. To confirm I went ahead and installed the over 23 GB of Oculus software (why does it have to be so large? it should be modularized for those who only want the drivers) and indeed the OculusVR setting showed up in Unreal Engine after starting the Oculus application. So it seems that the plugin is checking for something related to the Oculus software before activating those settings (?).

Anonymous
Not applicable

hcenteno said:

Thanks for your reply. I do have the plugin enabled and I'm using the latest 4.23 Unreal Oculus integration I built from GitHub. I just realized that for some reason my link to the AnsweHub post didn't show in my first post. As you can see here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/922678/view.html other developers are experiencing the same issue and you can see that an Epic Games staff found out that for that entry to appear the Oculus software needs to be installed. To confirm I went ahead and installed the over 23 GB of Oculus software (why does it have to be so large? it should be modularized for those who only want the drivers) and indeed the OculusVR setting showed up in Unreal Engine after starting the Oculus application. So it seems that the plugin is checking for something related to the Oculus software before activating those settings (?).

Ah ok good to know! I've already the oculus software installed so the reason why I always see it 🙂

I agree it should be modular for those not using a Rift, but actually I highly recommend using a Rift for development testing in editor to speed up development times rather than exporting every minor tweak to the Quest / Go. Couldn't imagine not doing that actually...

virtualHCG
Expert Protege

Ah ok good to know! I've already the oculus software installed so the reason why I always see it 🙂

I agree it should be modular for those not using a Rift, but actually I highly recommend using a Rift for development testing in editor to speed up development times rather than exporting every minor tweak to the Quest / Go. Couldn't imagine not doing that actually...

Yes, agree. Although with the Oculus Link it should now be possible to test directly with the Quest. Also I use a Vive for testing on Desktop.

HooverFly
Protege
For anyone else with this issue, the same thing happens if running from a remote desktop connection. The settings come back when run locally