I’m creating a project for Oculus Quest.
That project includes:
I can preview the game in my Quest2 without any issue using the oculus link and everything works fine (except volumetric clouds which I read are not ok for VR, so I removed them).
When I try to launch, the launch completes with success but the game runs pretty messed up in the device.
I tried the settings in this article:
But I just got the same issues with less lagging (but still highly noticable).
I’m new to game dev (+XR dev) but try my best to make just a simple scene with a boat in the ocean and minimal interaction.
I just need to know in what direction should I look for to troubleshoot these issues. Is it a settings issue? Is it an sdk issue? Is it material issues? Is any of the plugins I use too intensive? Is my scene too big (many elements)?
I try to look into all of the above but that seems chaotic.
Hi @RealityProductions ,
Due to the limitation of computing power and its architecture, we have limited rendering options in quest devices.
That said, water rendering in mobile devices may have problems.
- Shader complexity tends to be very high.
- Also water is a normally translucent material, so there will be an extra cost of background pixels.
If my understanding is correct, the link uses a desktop GPU, so running normally on the link has little to do with running it on the device.
I think your plug-in may not compatible for mobile graphics.
I recommend you check the following steps.
1. Check if materials have adequate rendering complexity. Press Alt+8 in the editor, to check the shader complexity of the scene. If your scene is full of green color, it's a green flag for you. otherwise, you need to find an alternative solution for that.
2. Check your plugin are compatible with the mobile renderer.
Unreal documentation covers this topic. or ask plugin developer whether it supporting mobile devices.
3. If the problem (such as black materials) reproduceable in mobile render preview in UE4 Editor, some material node may not supported in OpenGL ES or Vulkan. In this case, you may try change implementation of material, by replacing material node with similar one.
Hope this helps,