cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Quest 2 controllers for virtual production in Unreal

mach1studio
Honored Guest

Hello, I am trying to setup the Oculus Quest 2 controllers in Unreal as a virtual camera controller. So basically hook it up to my camera, then use it to create a virtual camera. I am sort of able to achieve this if I use steamVR functionality in Unreal, but the thing is that we need to enter a device number... 0-headset, 1-left Controller, 2-right Controller... 

What happens is as soon as we remove the headset, it goes offline and then the device number changes and nothing works anymore in unreal.

What I'd like to achieve is to not use the headset, but just the controllers. I know there is an oculus plugin in unreal, but it seems only be used for VR game creation.

Any clues? Ideas?.

thx!

Marc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

user_dev_collins
Honored Guest

I'm new at this, so I just thought I'd chime in. I believe you need the headset to reference the location, orientation, and speed of movement of the controllers. One of the perks of the base station setup is that you don't need a headset, because tracking is outside-in (basestations to controllers) rather than inside-out (headset tracking controllers).

Not sure if this helps at all, just wanted to give my two cents. I'm doing research into production as well, so would love to get your experience so far with it!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

user_dev_collins
Honored Guest

I'm new at this, so I just thought I'd chime in. I believe you need the headset to reference the location, orientation, and speed of movement of the controllers. One of the perks of the base station setup is that you don't need a headset, because tracking is outside-in (basestations to controllers) rather than inside-out (headset tracking controllers).

Not sure if this helps at all, just wanted to give my two cents. I'm doing research into production as well, so would love to get your experience so far with it!

yeap, that's exactly it... the headset is the "tracker".. I was hoping there would be a workaround, since I already own the oculus... thx!.