cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is Oculus fork of UE 4.20.1 release coming out ?

motorsep
Rising Star
@imperativity

Just wondering if Oculus will release UE 4.20.1 rather soon'ish or if Oculus is waiting for more stable release from Epic (4.20.2 presumably) to update it with all the latest goodies and release it on Oculus github ?

Thanks!

P.S. Just remembered there are some major issues with ES 3.1 and multiview, so also wondering if that will be resolved in 4.20.x in Oculus fork.
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
The mentioned issue has been filed to Epic here:

It should not be a blocker for a Oculus fork since it's a new feature not working for other mobilevr platforms either. Epic probably won't fix it until 4.21 anyway as a guess 😄

I just hope this issue is resolved beforehand so we can actually release for Go:
I really want to update my project to 4.20 for the improved visuals!

motorsep
Rising Star
Bump bump

Anonymous
Not applicable

@motorsep

This will land some time end of next week.

Also,  ES3.1 and multiview aren't engine issues but GearVR Galaxy S6 and S7 GPU driver issues, specifically the international Exynos/ARM models. You can have multiview and GL ES 3.1 on any other platform, including Oculus Go.

@imperativity It turns out the ES3.1 issue in 4.20 due to the new hardware occlusion effects all GPUs. I can reproduce it on the Go quite easily (also on the S8 but it's Exynos). And it is not related to multiview (although it is clearly worse on multiview) - even without multiview, on the Go when you turn your head meshes pop out of view before they should (usually in one eye only). I think objects are being occluded based on one eye only and not taking into account stereo rendering. Anyway it makes 3.1 even more unusable then before 😞

I asked Epic to add my new findings to the issue ticket: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-62347
(not done though at the time of writing)

Unfortunately a real missed opportunity for mobile VR and the GO to not have occlusion working yet! 😄

motorsep
Rising Star
@aussieburgerVR

Doesn't it prove the point that UE4's ES3.1 implementation isn't really geared toward mobile VR on Oculus platform?