cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"No Gear VR Sup > SDK 1.42", that's a bummer since I use GearVR for early development for Go/Quest

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege
I really don't know why Oculus dropping the support for GearVR in such early-stage since Oculus Go is the same as GearVR so they are not going to have wast too much time to support GearVR with new SDKs. And GearVR is the best place to develop your game first even if you are targetting Quest or Go, you don't need to put the HMD 100 times a day on your head to debug small little thing you made, you can do that in flat screen on GearVR, unlike Go and Quest. even if GearVR is dead which it isn't, its the best and easiest platform to develop your game for mobile VR, I used my GearVR tp publish my game for both Daydream and Oculus Go. 
What's your thought about this? do you guys use GearVR too make your life easier for developing for Quest/Go? 
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could you post the source of stopping GearVR support?

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the info somehow missed that. Means Unreal 4.23 will be the last version that supports GearVR ... I guess it was also related the users dropping out and using standalone instead?

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

thanks for the info somehow missed that. Means Unreal 4.23 will be the last version that supports GearVR ... I guess it was also related the users dropping out and using standalone instead?

Probably 4.24 will be the last if they are still going to use old SDK,  as for "users dropping out and using standalone instead" I don't think anyone will able to tell that since Oculus will never share such information, 

zproxy
Expert Protege
2020 gona be a sad year for mobile vr..

Griffonaus
Protege
This is pretty poor form. I develop VR for remote communities who cannot afford the lastest and greatest. Most people have a phone so Gear VR is still an affordable choice for people getting interested in VR. If you don't develop for the poor it is neither innovative or progressive. 

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege
Yeah exactly, not to mention, it's not like they are going to do any extra work with the new SDKs, Go is the same as GearVR, so there is nothing needed from their sire to keep GearVR officially supported. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
My guess is it still probably 'works' on gearvr you just won't be able to upload it to the store with later versions of unreal. So in theory it could still be used for development. Of course this could be totally wrong but since as you say it's not so different from the Go there is a good chance it still runs on gearvr devices.

All depends how you interrept
"Q. What if I ship an Oculus Go app? Will Gear VR users be able to use it?

A: If your app uses Oculus Mobile SDK 1.26.0 or Oculus SDK Suite 1.41
or earlier, then it will work on Gear VR as well as Oculus Go. Otherwise
it will only appear in the Oculus Go store."
this is referring more to shipping rather than development...