cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link Problem

TR909808
Explorer

Hi  I have oculus quest 2  and I have a problem with oculus cable link .  I was playing ASSETO CORSA on VR 

with 72HZ At 4028 x 2096 rez without any problems !  But I made a big mistake and update  my graphic card drivers and Oculus App .  Now I can not play at 72HZ anymore !  I got all kinds of distortions and flickers and strobe effect. My performance headroom goes below  Minus %60  with lots of frame  drops  !

I had no problems before the driver updates and Oculus updates !   

Only  working setting is 90HZ but it still has flickers and not smooth as 72HZ ..  and  I can not play it anymore ! 

I made a speed test to my USB CABLE  and  result is 2.7 gps  !   

Stange thing is everything working fine with AIRLINK wireless !  I dont have any distortions and flickers  with WIFI

But resolution is not too good if you compare with cable link .  I have no idea what is the problem . 

My computer specs are   Desktop Win 10 , Radeon 6800XT , 16gb  3200mgh  RAM , AMD Ryzen 5 5600X OC

I did everything I could re installed  old graphic card drivers and oculus app  nothing worked  

TR909808_0-1668627517092.png

I need help guys !   

7 REPLIES 7

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Heya. We get how this can cause you to not be as immersed or appreciate the game as much as you would if that distortion or lag wasn't there. We'll exert every effort to put you back on the right path. Have you tried using another cable link to see if you get the same issue? We see that you tried AirLink and it seems to be working fine, so we want to rule out the cord being the issue. We look forward to hearing back from you, and figuring this out! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

NumbrOneDad
Protege

I can’t believe they’re STILL basic troubleshooting anyone posting this issue. ITS A PROBLEM WITH THE F***ING UPDATE GUYS COME ON NOW! You have MORE than enough log submissions, videos, threads on this forum about it to know this isn’t a user issue. Absolutely absurd at this point and a massive disservice to the people who bought into the platform. 

@NumbrOneDad wrote:

I can’t believe they’re STILL basic troubleshooting anyone posting this issue. ITS A PROBLEM WITH THE F***ING UPDATE GUYS COME ON NOW! You have MORE than enough log submissions, videos, threads on this forum about it to know this isn’t a user issue. Absolutely absurd at this point and a massive disservice to the people who bought into the platform. 

Maybe because it's not as clear and dry of a problem as you think? Or there may be multiple root causes, and "problem with the update" is just one of them. Also, which update is causing the issue? Is it an issue with the Oculus update, or with the graphics card's update? Or could it be an issue with something else entirely? If it's a problem that crops up only with using a link cable but not Air Link, then it could be an issue with the USB-C port on either the computer or the headset. Maybe the latest drivers for the USB-C ports are borking something.

Basic troubleshooting is done to try eliminating possible causes and narrow things down. And for some people, those basic troubleshooting steps do solve the problem.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

I think it’d serve you well to dig a little deeper into the related posts regarding this issue and then come back and rethink that. We have more than enough proof, and submitted logs, that this is due to the v46 update both to the headset and the pc client. It IS as clear as we think that this issue ISNT a windows issue, it ISNT an nvidia/amd issue, it ISNT a configuration issue etc. we have been EXTENSIVELY troubleshooting this issue since it began with the recent v46 update. You can’t seriously jump to the defense of a team that would rather push an update that BREAKS pcvr for its paying consumers? There’s plenty of chatter, not even just in America, about this issue and it’s ridiculous to see the lack of accountability. It takes 5 minutes and a quick read to find the records posted here and on Reddit regarding the newest encoder/decoder issues because META/OCULUS, and not anyone else, broke their own runtime and keep coming back with bot-like responses. So sorry that we all paid money for something we were told would function properly, that must be my bad and not meta/oculus.

edit: and I think you’d find that many posts go UNRESOLVED here due to basic troubleshooting not being the issue. Most people mark a solution that doesn’t even work for them just because they know it’s not user error. It’s usually, almost always, on meta/oculus breaking their own sh*t. I’ve been on their platform long enough to know when they’re responsible or not for broken functionality. Source: I spend hours and weeks wasting my own time troubleshooting, digging for the source of these avoidable issues… like giving the consumer the option to roll back to a working state????? We’ve tested all recent builds/drivers that have been working flawlessly for months. We have been flooding the forums with discussion and log gathering for them. We have tried making this the front page issue so that it can go noticed by someone that can make a difference. Support knows this by now and has for at least a few days. This is on them for not acknowledging that this is a reoccurring issue amongst many users rn, and to say otherwise or to jump to their defense is really aiding this whole anti-consumer practice that they keep running with.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

First of all, may I suggest double spacing between paragraphs? That way you wont be posting a Wall-O-Text. Second of all @NumbrOneDad, I am pointing out that the situation is probably more complex then you assume. Is the issue universal? No, it isn't. Not everyone has the issues listed. Checking the driver patch notes, it looks like both the OP and I are using the exact same graphics drivers, which released just a few days ago.

There are so many different things which could be causing problems. It could be an issue with a Windows Update not playing nice. Or some graphics setting in Adrenalin that is on by default and doesn't play nice. It could be the USB-C port. Or the port's drivers. It could be either the desk top Oculus app or the quest 2's OS introducing issues due to a bug. Hell, the desktop app may actually be on a different version then the headset. That too can cause issues. Or there could be a range of actual problems, each with the same visible symptoms but different root causes. We. Don't. Know.

The point of customer support running people through basic troubleshooting is to try eliminating common sources of problems first before escalating things. If for example a factory reset solves the problem, there's no need to have the customer send their headset in for repairs or replacement. Right? Also, they have to assume that anyone contacting customer service is absolutely not tech savvy thus doesn't know the common initial troubleshooting steps in advance. Because the majority of the people contacting customer support wont be tech savvy enough to try those troubleshooting steps before contacting Customer Support.

Third of all, I'm the last person who would blindly defend Meta when a version update breaks something. Do you have any idea how many times a version update has broken one aspect or another of Oculus Link, Air Link, or both for me? Everything from Link or Air Link constantly crashing to the built in virtual desktop feature of Oculus (PC) Home being broken and showing only a black screen have occurred due to version updates.

Hell, since switching to Windows 11 my Quest 2 stopped charging when plugged into the front USB-C port on my computer tower, and only charges to 87% if plugged into the rear USB-C port. Plugging it into an outlet however lets it charge to 100%. I still have to experiment to see if it'll fully charge from a regular USB port using my USB to USB-C charging cord. I'll test that later, after playing RE4 a bit to drain the battery and get some (fun) exercise in.

I’m on mobile, I had placed a double space but it must have disappeared upon an edit. All I’m trying to state is that the root cause of this issue is directly stemming from the changes applied in the v46 update. We have done extensive research into clean installs of all windows builds with all nvidia drivers. This issue is unlike the prior issues that came before it. There is no workaround. There is no resolution without a proper rollback feature or a patch fix being applied. The fact that we spend our hard earned money on a promise of pcvr, just to be at the mercy of whether meta wants to grace us with a functional update? It’s absurd. I never voice myself on these forums. This is just the worst it’s ever been and there’s so many people struggling with the same issue.

Basic troubleshooting MAKES SENSE, I’m just stating that this is a reoccurring problem here on the forums and we have been in constant contact with support about it. So in this circumstance, basic troubleshooting is definitely enough to irk the lot of us literally feeding them our free time by collecting logs and such. There’s no reason they can’t make a statement on these forums regarding there being a MAJOR client-breaking bug for their freaking consumer base.

I agree that basic troubleshooting is all fine and dandy. Re-iterating the same bs on an issue that has been covered over and over and over again, now that’s irritating. All signs point to oculus internal errors. The runtime is to blame, and that’s not on the consumers hands. We have spent enough time gathering that info for them. There needs to be accountability and transparency. Not from support, I understand the position they’re in and that this is what they have to do. I just can’t believe that it hasn’t been escalated, and if it has, that it hasn’t been acknowledged to this tired and sore community.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I can actually understand why there might not be any public statements regarding something which

A. does not affect everyone

and

B. would be bad press if they made an announcement.

Meta has a track record of not announcing to the world when there are serious problems with a version update of their operating software. Instead they quietly track down what the problem is, and equally quietly fix it in a future update. Especially if the problems were in one part of the OS that doesn't affect system stability overall. Last year for six months or so I was unable to use the built in PC Oculus Home's virtual desktop feature. That was because I'd get a black screen in the window and maybe my mouse cursor. Moving the mouse would briefly show the image from my desktop, but only for a split second.

There were no acknowledgements of this issue from Facebook. There were no transparency in what they were doing to track down and resolve it. Instead they just quietly fixed the problem with a version update, without even mentioning the fix in the patch notes. They've done the exact same thing with stability issues that Air Link had since version 42, I think. No acknowledgment of the problem and no transparency in if they're working on it either. Then when they finally figured out how to fix those stability issues, they quietly released the fix in a version update with no mention of that fact in the patch notes.

If as I suspect the issues my Quest 2 has with charging when plugged into the computer are due to a problem in the Quest 2's OS or the PC app... I fully expect they will remain silent on the issue, then quietly fix it with a future version update without ever mentioning the fact they did so.

Side note, double spacing appears to be getting removed as "invalid HTML." Thus why I'm putting "..." in the double spacing.