[WIP] Fly Like a Bird - Skycall - Rook Island Release

getnamo
Honored Guest
Update
Public Demo is now live!

Grab Win32 build at
Link(Mega)
Mirror(Mediafire)

This demo requires DK1 and Razer Hydras.

About Rook Island:
This is a pre-alpha demo meant to allow you to explore bird flight with the closest possible experience. To gain altitude you will have to flap, once you gain enough speed you will glide and steer with tilt and yaw like you used to as a kid imagining you were a bird/airplane.

Enjoy the shoulder workout! Let me know what you think, and if you manage to find all the eggs...

All the instructions on flight are included in the Documentation check out the flapping video below for an example of controlled flight.

Flapping Video:

Original
Hi Rifters!

I've gotten my flight dynamics to the point where I have to share at least a proof of concept video. The flying is only playable with the Razer Hydras and Oculus Rift.

Each of your hydras define the wingwips of each wing, and you uhhh... flap to generate lift! Once you have enough speed to generate lift it will make things easier and you can soar like a bird identifying the perch you want to land on or maybe... tasty prey on the ground? 😉

Let me know what you think and what you'd like to see next. If you could fly like a bird, where would you go?
Current Project: Skycall
47 REPLIES 47

polorobot
Honored Guest
Flying like a bird is awesome. Can you make a version where you fly like insect? It is really funny to see the world from different perspective. Just rescale whole environment 1000x 😉

v0id
Explorer
I had a very solid initial experience! I felt for a few seconds like I WAS a bird, man.

You make it look easy in the video; I was a complete noob and i'm sure I looked like an idiot for the first few minutes. Once you get the hang for it it really doesn't use all that much energy. I did end up using a sort of "mini arms" in calibration so I didn't knock over stuff on my desk while going full stretch; seemed to help, more research pending.

The right button caught me off guard when I smacked into a pillar and squeezed the controller. :lol:

Great job, I think my arms might get stronger playing this game because its pretty dam cool. It's 'first demos' list material right here. 😉
Alienware X51 | Nvidia GTX 600 | i7 3770@3.4 | 16gb ram | DK1 | DK2

BigRobCoder
Explorer
Great job so far, my favorite Hydra demo to date! Like others I found it way harder than you make it look in the video, but I had a ton of fun nonetheless.

Something I'd like to see is a toggle to display a third person view of the bird on my monitor while the game is played. That would make this an excellent party/demonstration experience!

RedOfPaw
Honored Guest
This is a really nice idea - I can see it being a good mechanic for all kinds of games. There could be something wonderfully freeing about flying up to a height and soaring over a landscape, zooming down and flying past buildings closely... can't wait to see more.

HealthPhysics
Honored Guest
I'm having a ton of trouble getting mega to behave, is there any chance you could upload it to another site as well? It's downloading at only 5kbps and eventually fails half way.

Nevermind, I got it. It's pretty awesome. The cables on the hydra are baaarely long enough. I think if I take this to the bar someone will get a black eye and I'd better be ready to write off the hydra, it's getting to be in rough shape.

Nukemarine
Rising Star
Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks like fun. You do have me wondering: could you set up a Joust like environment for us to take on other birds? Not saying to add in cliffs, egg dropped from defeated enemies that you crush, lava, lava monsters or pterodactyl like creatures. Just a simple aeriel duel where the higher bird wins.

getnamo
Honored Guest
"nukemarine" wrote:
Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks like fun. You do have me wondering: could you set up a Joust like environment for us to take on other birds? Not saying to add in cliffs, egg dropped from defeated enemies that you crush, lava, lava monsters or pterodactyl like creatures. Just a simple aeriel duel where the higher bird wins.

There's a definite possibility for this. It's likely to involve some claws though 😉
Current Project: Skycall

Caine
Honored Guest
This was amazing - definitely in the top Rift experiences to date 🙂

Our take: