cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could other countries be added to the JAM?

pekayatt
Expert Protege
Hi!

I am from Brazil, and we have a strong community here working with amazing things in VR.
My company is in fact changing it focus from Mobile Apps to just VR projects and we have a very big project with a local Museum.

I was really sad to read that Brazil is not one of the countries inside the "Territory" that can participate on the JAM. Can something like that change? What do you guys need to make it possible to work here?

I have experience with other JAMS/Challenges, and I know that regulations in Brazil are not the simplest, but I could point out someone who had similar problems and could solve them (last realsense challenge by Intel for instance).

Things apart I just wish the best for everyone on the JAM, hope this change so I could enter on it!

Cheers,
17 REPLIES 17

chesterfield
Honored Guest
Sorry, but could you clarify why some countries are desaproved?
And this concerns me the most: since im a developer from Brazil (desaproved), could this mean i will not be able to sell apps on the oculus store in the near future?
Or this is only for the Jam?

Gerald
Expert Protege
Chesterfield - that seems to be a lot of work given the size of the planet and on top you would need to have a lot of lawyerish tranlated to human, just to have more discussion instead of less.
I very much understand your position, but I doubt it makes any sense from where Oculus is standing. They are the ones that get less out of their investment by not including everyone, so they must have good reasons.

One solution for guys like you might be to register a company in a valid country and then enter through that company. A bit like doing a Kickstarter from outside Kickstarter territory and extra effort, but if you guys have a cool product that you think it has a real shot maybe worth the effort.
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

chesterfield
Honored Guest
Yeah, yeah, i know i would problably need to open a usa company to sell my stuff, but for the jam you must be living on the countries aproved.I got that.
But Russia can? and Brazil, Spain, etc.. cant? like WTF?

chesterfield
Honored Guest
1 more thing. I bought 5 dk1 when the kickstarter launched.
They didnt had any problems at all accepting MY MONEY when they needed.

Gerald
Expert Protege
the deeper your pockets, the more careful you are. I am not that careful, since they can hardly make their lawyers pay back if they sue me, but if they sue Oculus there are deep pockets to attack.
I am surprised that some European countries are not in the list, but I can only guess that they looked at sold Rifts/active devs in those territories, did a bit of math regarding the legal costs to set it up and then decided to not have them participate.

And I was not talking about access to the store, but access to the Jam through an offshore company in the US for example.
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

TonyVT
Protege
"pekayatt" wrote:
It sucks when this happens :(.

Totally agree with you. It sucks.
All countries around mine can partecipate, and we can't. So sad about that. 😞 😞 😞 😞 😞 😞 😞

laenseloe
Honored Guest
+1 to China. Not on the list too.
I got confused that they let Russia in and ignored China? Why? I'll share the post in SNS in China, it's funny.

For they didn't wanna us joining the jam, why don't we build up a website to show ourselves?
A website which shows the images, videos and links to the developer, everyone can put their products there and there is
ABSOLUTELY NO LIMITATION

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"chesterfield" wrote:
Sorry, but could you clarify why some countries are desaproved?
And this concerns me the most: since im a developer from Brazil (desaproved), could this mean i will not be able to sell apps on the oculus store in the near future?
Or this is only for the Jam?

My guess is only for the jam with a big prize pool but you should be able to sell your apps through the store whereever you are from.