Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occluded - progress

Slin
Expert Protege
Imagine a game with a completely nude female main character

- Peter Molyneux (Paraphrased)

This is exactly what we are doing. Sans the nudity part. But you can look down her cleavage, so there is that.

Name:
The working title for the project is Occluded, until we figure out something better.

Team:
We are two programmers, joined by my girlfriend who is doing some of the modeling, and hopefully we have another modeler by the end of the week.

Technology:
For the past 8 months we've been developing our own 3D game engine called Rayne, which is based on up to date standards (C++11, OpenGL 3.2 and 4.1 Core Profile) and modern features like heavily optimized multi threading and tile based forward rendering, allowing for a lot(!) of lights.
Most features are already working great and we are hoping to release a first version by the end of the year.
Occluded is our first "real" project using Rayne. We are eating our own dog food, and it's tasting like sprinkled rainbows with cocaine.

Game:

(If you haven't seen LoTR (wtf is wrong with you?!), the scene is followed by an escape through the mines of Moria)

Got the idea? The player starts somewhere in a dungeon, accidentally awakens what killed the previous owners, and has one goal left: Get the fuck out of there. Preferably alive. While trying to not ending up like the previous owners of the crib, she has to evade traps, fight skeletons that are faster than the main force behind her, and find her way out of there. Or you know, you can just look down her cleavage and enjoy the view until the mob gets you.

Progress as of August 6th:
The basic dungeon layout is done and we wrote the basic player code.
Next up: Awaking the dungeon.

Screenshots:
(Unfortunately I don't have my Rift yet, so in the meantime, here you go with some stereoscopic screens)
http://widerwille.com/stuff/vrjam/screen01.png
http://widerwille.com/stuff/vrjam/screen02.png
http://widerwille.com/stuff/vrjam/screen03.png

PS:
If you want to know more about our engine, you should totally visit this link: http://rayne3d.com
14 REPLIES 14

ninja13
Honored Guest
Great work so far I'm liking it 🙂 I can't wait to see a video of this working i'm loving the run and survive aspect.

Keep up the good work.

xenmen
Honored Guest
Promising; I'm hoping you have a very fast paced feel, maybe even exaggerated character speed
Mirror's Edge meets Dungeon Runner 😄

Major props for using an in-house engine, your performance will probably beat the pants off all of us using unity

I'll look forward to playing this one 😉
Current Projects Super Beekeeper Visionary

JustSid
Honored Guest
"xenmen" wrote:
Promising; I'm hoping you have a very fast paced feel, maybe even exaggerated character speed
Mirror's Edge meets Dungeon Runner 😄

Definitely, even if it were just for the sake of getting Slin to vomit while using the Oculus 😛
Mirrors Edge was actually our inspiration to begin with, but then we fired it up again and realized that our dream of mixing Assassins Creed and Mirrors Edge would shatter at the deadline (and our animation skillz). So yeah, dungeon runner it is.

"xenmen" wrote:
Major props for using an in-house engine, your performance will probably beat the pants off all of us using unity

At least you guys didn't have to rewrite your engines multiscreen system, so there is that.

But yeah, slins Oculus arrived yesterday and we got it mostly up and running in our engine. It now actually looks like a game for the Oculus!
http://widerwille.com/stuff/vrjam/screen04.png
Lead Idiot

runningdimensio
Honored Guest
Gah! I guess I'm not the only one who thought it'd be awesome to make a 1st person free-running roguelike. Good luck with this. I'm interested to see the result.

Slin
Expert Protege
The past two days I´ve been working on distortion shader thingy and today I got the headtracking to work.
After some dramamine and adding a better "head simulation" with translation and not only head movement, my motion sickness problems now seem a lot better 🙂
The whole process took far to long, but I hope that we can now finally get into some gameplay and graphics.
Did I mention that the rift gets auto detected as extended screen and the game just runs on it, while the other screen can be used for debugging or whatever? 🙂
Bildschirmfoto 2013-08-09 um 00.02.08 (2).png

JustSid
Honored Guest
So, we've implemented some basic enemies and gore, and now I'm busy massacring NPCs... And I'm having an awesome amount of fun!

I should probably go back to other gameplay things though 😕
Lead Idiot

Slin
Expert Protege
The last few days, we fixed our skeletal animation system and added features like animation blending and smooth looping, worked on the level, improved the cave texturing and made things faster (from stable 80fps to stable 120fps or something).
I also created a totally amazing torch with an even better particle effect :).
We are currently working on pathfinding to reduce collisions, which sometimes can cause a noticable lag. Also we are of course trying to get at least the important parts of the level done to finally have some gameplay.

Bildschirmfoto 2013-08-16 um 01.37.53.png
Bildschirmfoto 2013-08-16 um 01.59.37.png
Bildschirmfoto 2013-08-16 um 02.01.02.png

It is actually looking and feeling much better with the rift than on the plain screenshots, but I guess that´s usually the case 😛

Slin
Expert Protege
Our milestone 2 video...

Dexter111
Honored Guest
I can imagine that footstep sound getting very annoying very soon. 🙂