Best Flying Game For VR w/controller? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Best Flying Game For VR w/controller?

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,491 Valuable Player
edited May 2016 in Games and Apps
I know someone already made a thread about best flying game for "daddy" but what about most practical flying game. I've just downloaded DCS World for the Vive and FFS what a load of croc (even if it appears to be a cool game for free). Press Alt L to start Power, Press L CTRL Home to power up engine. Yadda yadda. It makes Elite Dangerous feel like it's for babies.  Actually, I like Elite Dangerous' look and select options. To me it seems intuitive and not needing a Keyboard (which you can't see) as well.  Elite also allows you to customize the control pad with combos such as D-Pad Left and A button to give it more options. I couldn't do that in DCS.

Are there any reccomended flying games that can easily use a 360/Xbox One controller without the need for having a keyboard (which you can't see) on your lap or fancy flight sticks which I'm not going to invest in? Once I was airborne in DCS it felt pretty good even if I had limited movement.

Thanks.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• jrs69jrs69 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    Map DCS to your joystick/controller? I did.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,812 Valuable Player
    (Fly inside) FSX? Or warthunder perhaps
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087

I can't recommend FSX with Flyinside enough.  Hands down one of the best VR experiences to date.  FSX is usually very cheap on Steam, especially when it goes on sale (which is fairly often).  I would say the controls are about the same as Elite as far as how many there are.

DCS is crazy with the amount of config.  I have a few different aircraft purchased and you have to set each one individually, which can take quite a while.  I can't believe they don't have more defaults that work across all aircraft.

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,491 Valuable Player
    edited May 2016
    Holy Crap - Flight Sim X on Steam with all DLC costs £1,414.01 What is Flyinside?

Edit - I see it was a KS VR plugin. 

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,860 Volunteer Moderator
    Got to the Flyinside home page and have a look, you might just be impressed.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,758 Valuable Player
    Definitely War Thunder.
    OK thanks I will give it a try at some point. 

• SickleFootSickleFoot Posts: 105
    edited May 2016
    FSX= Microsoft Flight Simulator X
    Flyinside= Some 3rd party add on if that you a load of features including Rift support? So would need to use Revive injector or no?

While we are on topic, I have managed to get War Thunder running but it seems like there are some issues:

- I don't think it seats you correctly, it seems I am behind the seat and can actually see the seat I think it should be positioning you in VR.

- It seems there are some display issues, because the map and compass etc are spread way outside your field of view.

Any ideas?

Ps. You can buy a FSX Steam cd keys on the cheap:

http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-flight-simulator-x-cd-key-compare-prices/

I was going to DL that but went with DCS instead. I assume you're recommending it because it's easy to play with a controller? Is there a free flight or campaign mode so you don't have to fight with other players?

@SickleFoot I am pretty sure they support the Vive directly.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    You're right! Says beta.

Sweet!
    edited May 2016
    You're right! Says beta.

Sweet!
    Bit pricey though for Flyinside. Wonder how long the trial lasts?

EDIT: Never mind, says they are limited to 15 minute flights.
  • jrs69jrs69 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    DCS requires a lot of different configs for each plane because each plane is different. The difference between a "game" and a "simulator" is huge. In a simulator there are many aspects that are complex to the point of not being fun. The devs went through a lot of trouble to make it as close as they could to the real thing. Another good example is in flight simulator you can lose the ability of your wing to produce lift. To a gamer it would appear for no reason your plane falls out of the sky. Controlling level flight is also not a given. You are forced to become familiar with the aspects of how trim and flaps work. It can be a pain in the ass. Some planes performance just flat out suck and you really have to work it and balance your flight bubble very gently.

In a game not much is required. Point add power shoot!

I like both styles. Sometimes a sim is just to much trouble and other times I really respect the realism.
    When running FSX with Flyinside, I sometimes get a lot of flickering on the screen.

Anyone know of a solution? Anything to do with the graphic settings?

Thanks!
    Agreed @jrs69, my only issue with the DCS config is some of the most rudimentary controls that would appear on every aircraft (start engines, close canopy, ect...) can't be mapped for every aircraft in one go.  Flight Sim X is the perfect level of configurable controls without going completely overboard for each individual aircraft.  This is totally my opinion though and I could see why people (especially actual aviators) would really enjoy being able to map out every single little control for each aircraft.  DCS is a very awesome game once you get it down though.  I have spent quite a bit of time in the tutorials learning all the various attack modes and it is very fun.

My CH Products HOTAS never has any existing configs I like, so I end up making my own configs.  I at least save them so I am not stuck re-doing them after every Windows install.

@SickleFoot, I would maybe try the Flyinside forums.  Those guys are super helpful.  I haven't had any issues with the software personally.
  • sarados.chsarados.ch Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited June 2017
    There is a brand new flight simulator the "Flight Sim World" from Dovtail https://www.pccdkeys.com/product/flight-sim-world-cd-key-steam/ does anyone owns it? Is it compatible with oculus?
    No I don't own it and no immediate plans to make it usable with VR both from ourselves at flyinside and dovetail but they promised to look into it.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,776 Valuable Player
    I know someone already made a thread about best flying game for "daddy" but what about most practical flying game. I've just downloaded DCS World for the Vive and FFS what a load of croc (even if it appears to be a cool game for free). Press Alt L to start Power, Press L CTRL Home to power up engine. Yadda yadda. It makes Elite Dangerous feel like it's for babies.  Actually, I like Elite Dangerous' look and select options. To me it seems intuitive and not needing a Keyboard (which you can't see) as well.  Elite also allows you to customize the control pad with combos such as D-Pad Left and A button to give it more options. I couldn't do that in DCS.

Are there any reccomended flying games that can easily use a 360/Xbox One controller without the need for having a keyboard (which you can't see) on your lap or fancy flight sticks which I'm not going to invest in? Once I was airborne in DCS it felt pretty good even if I had limited movement.

Thanks.

You have to map the buttons to the controller.  But those games are not intuitive because they are simulators.  Flight sims are software that the target demographic are usually very passionate about.  FSX, Prepar3D, DCS.  These are all flight sims.  You can buy add on aircraft that come with flight manuals the size of phone books.  Elite is similar to the simulator but it's fantasy whereas these simulators operate the same way their real life plane counterparts do.  It took me almost an hour to learn how to power up an airliner in FSX manually without using autostart.  That's just to turn the damn thing on and get it ready.  That time of time consumption is all over flight sims, then you fly forever to your destination doing nothing.  It was great fun, but if you replaced the plane with a bus it would be the worse game you could ever imagine lol. 

I bought a flight sim on steam.  I can't remember the name, but it's for VR.  I think it sucks because the flight mechanics are nowhere near as good as they are in FSX, but it's probably a really dumbed down version you could enjoy.  I don't even think you can crash in it, but I am not sure.  The GFX are great and it feels like you're really in their fake plane flying around, the mechanics of the flight are just terrible compared to any other sim.
  • andysonofbobandysonofbob Posts: 217
    Nexus 6
    My mate is an avid flight sim dude.  He is proper excited about the new X-plane 11 that was released three months ago.  He says it has loads of detail and an impressively full array of interactive cockpit doobrees.  Plus the flight nerds love it for the flight model etc

BUT

to get *all* the minutia, like more detailed ATC or less generic smaller airports you will need to download player made plugins etc.  AND, so far, no flightplanner so you will need to use 3rd party ones.

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,336 Valuable Player
    I am always amazed at how some old threads get revived...
    ;)

In any event, I absolutely love and have more hours of enjoyment in DCS than any other game for me - ever. Have played it over the last several years - since like 2008-2009, and am especially enjoying it now in VR with my Rift. Lately I have really gotten back into IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad as well, and find myself now spending even more time in it - it is quite fun as well. Both though really require a good joystick setup , a good HOTAS preferably.  Neither one are anything one is going to be able to load up and play with a standard x-box controller in their leisure for sure. These two though are my main go to games for hours upon hours of pleasure for me.

For me, these are the best VR flying games.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2017
    Blimey, I saw May, didn't see the year!

So:
    DCS with that multiple plane pack?
    DCS with the helecoptor?
    IL-2 BoS?

Which would you recommend?
    IL2 hands down ;)

Blimey, I saw May, didn't see the year!

So:
    DCS with that multiple plane pack?
    DCS with the helecoptor?
    IL-2 BoS?

Which would you recommend?

IL-2 if one has neither, while it is still fairly hard core it also has less of a learning curve and quicker to get acclimated to and flying combat. Planes are also a little easier to learn to fly IMHO. In DCS once can spend hours upon hours just learning the systems modeling of the particular aircraft they want to fly.

I love them both for what they each offer.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    edited June 2017
    Possibly @falken76 you are talking about Aerofly FS2 which is made for VR from scratch and it's currently my best choice for casual flying. It's beautiful, fps friendly, and easy to start and get control. I'm using HOTAS recognized automatically (T16000M). I really enjoy it even if I can't judge of the flying mechanisms which feel OK for me, but I'm not an expert. I give up with FSX and FlyInside because I was struggling with settings. The fact it's made from ground for VR make it easy to handle and really beautiful. 3D Cockpit are well managed. It's early access but already enjoyable. Good flying feeling. It's expensive AFAIK 49.99 Euros but you can test it with Steam refund system.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Tested and returned within an hour weeks ago lol I'm sure it will get there one day but that's only my opinion :)

Nexus 6
    edited June 2017
    Thanks!  Even though both replies suggested IL2...
    How cool is flying the helo in DCS?  Is it effective in VR?

EDIT
    Forgot to say thanks for the replies.

Thanks!  Even though both replies suggested IL2...
    How cool is flying the helo in DCS?  Is it effective in VR?

EDIT
    Forgot to say thanks for the replies.

I fly the KA-50 Black Shark in DCS and love it. More recently have been more into WWII flying the Spitfire in the new Normandy map. 
    The KA-50 was the first simulated aircraft DCS did, and they did a superb job with it. All systems modeled, full on switches in the cockpit. Going through the cold start procedure manually in it is a blast and very rewarding. It does air to ground combat very well. But it did take me quite a long time to learn it to the point that I have.

The cockpit may not be as sharp in VR as some of their newer modules, but I still find it pretty nice. I know also a lot of guys have and love the Huey as well.
    Don

The Huey is a blast with "I gotta get out of this place" playing in the background :)

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,776 Valuable Player
    YoLolo69 said:
    Possibly @falken76 you are talking about Aerofly FS2 which is made for VR from scratch and it's currently my best choice for casual flying. It's beautiful, fps friendly, and easy to start and get control. I'm using HOTAS recognized automatically (T16000M). I really enjoy it even if I can't judge of the flying mechanisms which feel OK for me, but I'm not an expert. I give up with FSX and FlyInside because I was struggling with settings. The fact it's made from ground for VR make it easy to handle and really beautiful. 3D Cockpit are well managed. It's early access but already enjoyable. Good flying feeling. It's expensive AFAIK 49.99 Euros but you can test it with Steam refund system.

Yes that's the one.  It's not bad, but I really enjoyed FSX and Prepard3d.  I bought all kinds of add ons for FSX.  In comparison, the planes in Aerofly FS2 don't feel right. But there are people that bought add ons such as the PDMG planes who would say they can't fly the default planes in FSX because they feel terrible now that they're used to the PDMG models.  I think Aerofly is great for what it is and I have no regrets spending the $50 I did pay for it because I certainly support the developer for the excellent job he already has done.  I would love to see updates that would add missions like FSX had.  I really enjoyed doing the missions.
  • JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    edited June 2017
    dburne said:

I fly the KA-50 Black Shark in DCS and love it. More recently have been more into WWII flying the Spitfire in the new Normandy map. 
    The KA-50 was the first simulated aircraft DCS did, and they did a superb job with it. All systems modeled, full on switches in the cockpit. Going through the cold start procedure manually in it is a blast and very rewarding. It does air to ground combat very well. But it did take me quite a long time to learn it to the point that I have.

The cockpit may not be as sharp in VR as some of their newer modules, but I still find it pretty nice. I know also a lot of guys have and love the Huey as well.
    Spitfire in Normandy?  What DLC is that in?  You're talking DCS, correct?

Edit:  Disregard my dumb-ass question.  I had no idea there was additional content (and updates) not available on Steam.  That brings me to another question:  Is there a big difference between 1.5, 2.0, and the Steam version?