New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

How to mirror audio on two devices (soundcard and Rift)

maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,749 Volunteer Moderator
edited June 2016 in General
Ok here is a little guide on how to mirror your audio on two different devices (soundcard and Rift)

The trick is to put your sound card (in my case Realtek) as the default device, if you have the Rift set at the default device and try to mirror it to the soundcard it doesn't work, only the soundcard mirrored to the Rift. Don't ask me why...

So here you go

First open up your sound options and set your soundcard as the default device:

In my case it's the Realtek High Definition Audio

Then go to the Recording tab and right-click...Select Show Disabled Device. This will bring up the Stereo Mixer. Right-Click on it and enable it.

Once it is enable, go into the Properties of the stereo Mixer

In the Properties, go to the Listen tab and then check the box "Listen to this device" .
Under the "Playback through this device, select Headphones (Rift Audio) from the drop down menu

Finally on the Advanced tab uncheck Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device

And that's it you are all set, you will now hear the sound from your speakers and your Rift!

You can adjust the listening levels in the Levels tab of the Stereo Mix properties, but raising the volume of your PC will still raise the volume of your Rift, you can just create a volume offset between the 2 devices.

It does create a tiny lag between the two device but the sound is still in sync with the image so don't worry about it

I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1

Comments

• ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,086 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Thank you for this!

The Vive has a 'mirror to device' option that is done by selecting your alternate output in a dropdown (one click).  Oculus needs to provide an option in the Oculus Home settings for this, as it will be common when people want to listen to what the person in the HMD is listening to (VR parties and whatnot).
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,749 Volunteer Moderator
    Not a problem I would try to make a sticky out of it with my mod powers lol but I can't find how.
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • Warrior-johnWarrior-john Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Would running through a standard sound card and mirroring to the rift cause problems with the oculus positional audio system built into the rift ? Is the positional audio hardware based in the DAC of the HMD or is it just a software trick in the SDK. Oculus did say they would look into a mirror function "soon"
    Didn't noticed it...I mostly play Elite and Minecraft these days, so maybe these are not the games that have a lot of positional audio
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    Excellent work @maxpare79 , thank you!
    maxpare79 said:
    Not a problem I would try to make a sticky out of it with my mod powers lol but I can't find how.
    You mean you guys didn't undergo extensive training in how to do that sort of thing? :o :D 
    I think some powers are still left in the hand of our mighty god @cybereality
    3Jane
    Ok, he did say he doesn't like too many stickies, true. :)
    3Jane
    So would you say that this way of mirroring the sound is preferable to using other software like Voicemeeter? I don't want to do too much fiddling, but I also don't want to install software unless it's really needed, you know?
    Never tried Voicemeeter...Just did it inside windows, because I don't like adding software when I don't really need to as well...
    This works flawlessly for me so I haven't done any more digging. 
    3Jane
    Cheers mate, that's good enough for me. :)
    I just realized that this might not work on games purchase through Oculus Home...Only my steam library seems to works, when I play a game that is exclusive to home, sound is not coming out of my speakers, only the Rift...
    3Jane
    Hmm, interesting. Walled garden syndrome again, perhaps. Guess I'll have to look at Voicemeeter after all.
    Nevertheless, outstanding work @maxpare79 , even if it only works on Steam, it's still very useful, thanks again.
    Yeah I mostly play ED, Pcars and Assetto Corsa. which I own on Steam, never realized up until a few minutes ago when someone came over for a demo that when he was trying Lucky's Tale, Chronos and Dreamdeck that I couldn't hear anything.
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,086 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016
    @RobHermans I am betting it is more of a software/hardware support issue rather than a walled garden issue.  Oculus Home will eventually need to support this functionality as it makes it much more fun to spectate.  Having it as a one click option is a very nice feature.

And thanks for the update max!
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    3Jane
    Agreed. Note to self: stop using popular phrases inappropriately! :p
  • Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 329
    Trinity
    Thanks for the walk through max. so it works for steam but ironicaly not for OH purchased games ?. hmm I was sort of hoping to see what it was like when play eve-valk. which oculus dev do I have to kidnap to get it to work with OH ?.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 3,339 Poster of the Week
    @ Maxpare79 - Did you try this for your steam games, it seems simple but I haven't tried it because I don't have my CV1 yet.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/389859/#Comment_389859

• steveoz32steveoz32 Posts: 350
    Art3mis
    I've tried so many times to get 'stereo mix' to work on my system for recording audio and it never does - just silence. I'll try this but I bet it will be the same :(
    Trinity
    ahhh herin lies my particular dilemma ... the rig I have bought is specifically bought for gaming only using the oculus ..didn't fancy all the clutter with my steam games and all the additional bloatware that's associated with steam ...alas
    Trinity
    max ....can you get cyber to sticky this thread for future reference ?.
    I will ask him
    3Jane
    No harm in asking. :) My guess is that he will say he doesn't like too many sticky threads.

I do have a suggestion which I might put to him though: create a separate category for FAQs. Threads asking questions which have already been answered are way too common on these forums, mainly because the search function isn't very powerful. Imo a category dedicated to helping new users to answer the most common questions will at least lessen the clutter in the General and Support categories.
    Trinity
    seems a bit ironic that steam does support for these types of systems ...yet oculus home doesn't ...especially as oculus are trying to encourage us all to purchase their games through OH yet doesn't support this particular feature .
    I think it might have to do with the spatial audio in the Rift SDK, anyway they are working on a solution for it, so we will see it in a future update
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,414 Power Poster
    By any chance, have you tried going the other way--using the mixer to listen to the Rift audio when you're playing an Oculus Home game?
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    Trinity
    edited June 2016
    I personaly havent ...cos I'm currently typing from work
    The mixer is set to listen to the Rift, it's the only way it will work at all. But once you start a game from Home, you won't get any sound through your speakers
  • anthonyvnanthonyvn Posts: 289
    Art3mis
    This seems to be specific to realtek.

I can't get this option to pop up on windows 10 anniversary.

Is Oculus going to allow this feature?  At the moment I'm using steamvr, and doing the alt tab method discussed on reddit.  This SOMETIMES works and gives the least amount of delay as far as I can tell.

1. (If you haven't already) Setup SteamVR to mirror audio to 'Rift Speakers'.
    2. Close SteamVR.
    3. Change HMD settings in Oculus Home to use 'Windows Default' rather than 'Rift Speakers'
    4. Launch game via Oculus Home.
    5. Launch SteamVR.
    6. At this point I find my SteamVR home environment scene replaces the game, to fix this simply alt-tab back to the game to regain focus.

• UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 237
    Art3mis
    edited September 2016
    I want this feature in the worst way, and it doesn't make sense that it doesn't exist as an option in the home settings. There is nothing to gain by not allowing us to do this at all. It is actually counterproductive for people watching because they aren't getting the full sensory experience of watching and listening to what is being played by the person in the Rift. It is actually counterproductive for people watching because they aren't getting the full sensory experience of watching and listening to what is being played by the person in VR. Please add this oculus, it will make it much more enjoyable for a party scenario.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,007 Poster of the Week
    edited September 2016
    There are multiple threads on this already, but in case you didn't know, Oculus has already stated (half a year ago) that they're working on implementing audio mirroring, just like Steam has. What is taking them this long is beyond me.

For the time being you can use Voicemeeter.