Release Notes for Rift - Oculus App 1.6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Release Notes for Rift - Oculus App 1.6

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff

Here's what's changed in the Rift ecosystem recently.

Release 1.6

We've improved the Oculus Store and your Oculus Library in the following ways:

• Coming Soon: Check out future apps and games, and get notified when titles you like are ready.
  • Improved Downloads: You can now choose how much bandwidth to use for Oculus downloads. Also, downloads now resume seamlessly if interrupted.
  • Automatic Updates: Games and apps installed on your computer from the Oculus Store can now be automatically updated whenever a new version is released.
  • User Ratings: Rate games and apps, and also see how highly other users have rated an app. User ratings are only available in VR, from Oculus Home.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,721 Volunteer Moderator
    Resuming downloads, excellent
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Qba73Qba73 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    any changes under the hood to the hardware?
    I7 6700k @ 5ghz (water), Asus Z170 Deluxe, 16gb gskill 3000 DDR4, EVGA 1080 SC @2ghz
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 538
    Trinity
    People are reporting a HMD firmware update. Any release note for what it does?
  • korgen63korgen63 Posts: 74
    Hiro Protagonist
    Can we expect a fix for HDMI and USB3 issues some day?
    @korgen63   it's a bit of a mixed bag, a lot of it is to do with the drivers of manufacturers of your components, for example Nvidia has released new drivers for 1070/1080 today that has fixed a lot of issues for VR users .... that VR HMD manufacturers could not have done themselves
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• BelgorBelgor Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2016
    After the update, I am suddenly having problems with the remote getting turned off and I can only get it working again by running the setup and reconnecting it.

Then it works for a few minutes and turns off again, if I for instance watch a 360 movie using Virtual Desktop.
    It does not turn on even if I go to Oculus Home. The controller still works fine everywhere.

So far the only way I found to get it working again is re-pairing it with the Oculus, but that gets really annoying to keep on doing.

Could it be some kind of a new timeout function you have implemented in the new update, which it's not able to wake it self up from?

I havn't had any problems with it before this update :(

Edit: I did some more testing, where I stayed inside Oculus home and that was enough to turn the remote off. So its not related to anything else than the update, Oculus hardware and Oculus home.

Battery indicator says its 4/4.

Again using Add Remote finds it and makes it work for some minutes until it turns it self off.

Edit2: After turning all power off and waiting a bit, then turning it back on, it seems like it works again. When I installed the update, I just rebooted. It seems like it had to loose power completely for a "reset" of some kind. So status is that currently everything seems to work again.
  • riesgoriesgo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My sensor and remote were disconnected for some reason and didn't update their firmware they still have the old versions, and since the headset updated its not running the update again,  I checked the firmware numbers and they are the older ones. How can I get the manual update, the auto version is not working anymore or showing in the menu?
  • mikendrixmikendrix Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    After nVidia and Oculus update everything looks smoother and colorful. Blacks are blacks and not grey anymore ! Dirt Rally is amazing with 90fps and deep colors !
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,067
    3Jane
    Really ? I don't see any difference at all in brightness, contrast, colour or black levels ... placebo effect ?
  • korgen63korgen63 Posts: 74
    Hiro Protagonist
    LZoltowski About HDMI issues, maybe (perhaps because of hdcp or anything else)
    But about USB3 and Inateck problems since v1.5, I don't think so.
  • DomitjenDomitjen Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    How do I actually give a rating? In home I see the ratings a game has, but I have no idea how to put them myself.
  • kuabikuabi Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Dominique said:
    How do I actually give a rating? In home I see the ratings a game has, but I have no idea how to put them myself.
     I believe you you just highlight the rating you wish to give.
  • manumanu Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ratings are nice. Also the resume feature. Update went smoothly for me.
  • DomitjenDomitjen Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    kuabi said:
    Dominique said:
     I believe you you just highlight the rating you wish to give.
    Oh, it's only that? Why not user reviews? That's the best way to reflect how a game is. People will only give  1 star or 5 stars, bet on it.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,398 Valuable Player
    The good thing about the ratings is that you have to own the game to rate. But yeh with no accountability required people can vote 1 star for silly reasons which isn't accurate. They can also do the reverse and vote 5 stars for silly reasons. Also I assume devs can vote 5 stars on their own games. So effectively you could get your entire team voting. That's why user reviews is better than just a 5 star system so you at least get more details.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player

I'm just happy that my Rift updated yet again with no issues. 
    I recognize that I'm pretty computer savvy with respect to some users out there.
    I recognize that my computer exceeds the min-spec in pretty much every regard.
    But still, every update so far has been seamless so I always worry a little bit about how I would troubleshoot problems. 

I agree that each update should have a set of release notes.  While it's nice to have Cyber posting them here, it should be an official page of update notes in Oculus Home.  Preferably available prior to executing the update.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,306
    Wintermute
    are there any plans for a per application location setting?  in other words, if i were to get a new disk to allow me to install more apps, something that would preclude the need for me to uninstall everything and then reinstall onto a necessarily much larger disk?  Steam appears to be able to do it, so it would be nice to know that OH is at least moving in a similar direction.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,288 Valuable Player
    Dominique said:
    People will only give  1 star or 5 stars, bet on it.
    You lose that bet, I'm afraid!
    I give 3 stars to games that are OK but that I would only play to fill in a bit of time. like Blaze Rush.
    4 Stars to a game that I think is good, but limited enjoyment due to current VR restraints.
    2 stars if you can see they made the effort, but I don't like the game.

• stevesideasstevesideas Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Any performance increases or other differences that are actual and not placebo effect ?
    I haven't seen any changes, but the my Rift hasn't had any issues with performance or operation.

• vrmowervrmower Posts: 181
    Art3mis
    Win7 x64 - Let software update from 1.4 (If not broke, mess with it).  When done updating software and firmware everything worked except no sound.  No error messages of any kind displayed during any updates.

Checked device manager - Rift Audio device showed as failed with code 28.

Uninstalled all Rift devices from device manager, ran oculus-driver yet this didn't fix the problem.  All was reinstalled except audio still failed with code 28.

When you run oculus-driver it leaves a bunch of driver files in %temp%\oculus.

In device manager manually right click over failed rift audio / update driver / browse computer for driver software / let me pick from list of device drivers on my computer / pick sound, video and game controllers from hardware types / click have disk / point to %temp%\oculus\win* folder corresponding to your version of windows.  Rift audio now working.

This problem is reproducible for me.  Simply running oculus-driver again breaks rift audio with code 28 error.

Disabled network access to Rift again to avoid future headaches.  There really needs to be an Oculus provided setting to stop the mandatory updates because as typical for systems of this kind update process isn't robust  enough to assure new problems will not occur as a result.
  • Qba73Qba73 Posts: 19
    NerveGear

apparently support was added for up to 4 Rift sensors, roomscale anyone?

http://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-now-supports-multiple-cameras/

I7 6700k @ 5ghz (water), Asus Z170 Deluxe, 16gb gskill 3000 DDR4, EVGA 1080 SC @2ghz
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,848 Valuable Player
    Dominique said:
    Where do you view the rating of a game? I don't see any rating in Oculus Home for games?
  • PunkSkeletonPunkSkeleton Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    When I got my rift 2 days ago all the updates installed without any problems. Now I was getting messages stating that rift is not connected. Then after Oculus reboot it finally works. Lost over half an hour and also graphics settings in application.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,657 Valuable Player
    edited July 2016
    Always make sure to perform a full PC reboot after the update. Windows Services play nicer when they start from scratch.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ColdRemSColdRemS Posts: 24
    NerveGear
    edited July 2016
    I have an issue with the my oculus store... I have the following message:
    "Sorry we couldn't update Oculus", each time I try to update to 1.6. I also noticed this problem happens on certain games, not everyone. I don't understand. My oculus store is installed on a HDD (which is not C) on which I'm an administrator with the full rights (Win7). Why would some apps install and some wouldn't?
    I already rebooted my computer but it doesn't work either. I can't file any similar case anywhere.
    Any idea please?

edit: SOLVED with a "repair" in oculus setup.
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 733
    3Jane
    It's true! The repair function is actually working now.

I've tried to use it twice in the past and it's failed both times leaving no option but to completely re install OH and my library.

I had to do a system restore this weekend due to an update screwing up some needed settings (not Oculus).
    and restored pre Oculus update which screwed up OH and it wouldn't launch. (This is the second time I've had this scenario!).
    This time however the repair function worked perfectly. It updated OH back to 1.6 and my library remained intact.

Bravo Oculus team ;)
  • MarquisMarquis Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    When it will be possibe to install OCULUS anywhere instead of SYSTEM DISK ?
    @Marquis You can install anywhere as long as it is a Physical Drive and a Simple Disk Partition (Dynamic is not sported). Mine is running on drive K: and not C:

• MarquisMarquis Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Thanks   @LZoltowski the support tells me  NO , few days ago ! .... is it a new feature on 1.6; because on 1.4 it's just ... Impossible :(

Regards