cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE4 Rollercoaster [v1.0 Now with real physics!]

Teddy0k
Explorer
Playing with scale in VR, this rollercoaster shrinks you down the size of a mouse and zooms you around a living room!

Download v1.0;
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v4s08nfl9pct339/UE4Rollercoaster_v1_0.zip

To celebrate the release of Unreal Engine 4 I decided to make a rollercoaster! I've been interested in playing with scale in VR (like in my RTS demo), so I thought it'd be cool to see what it feels like to be shrunk down to a tiny size. Turns out it's pretty awesome!

For those of you that are riftless, here's a full playthrough video;

Thanks!

Update v1.0
-Updated to Unreal Engine v4.4.1
-Added fixed timestep simulation to physics to ensure rollercoaster behaves the same at any frame rate
-Added an option to lock the camera's pitch to the track (press c)
-Some more optimizations

Update v0.4
-Added semi-realistic rollercoaster physics, is now a proper gravity coaster
-Adjusted the track to work with real physics
-Changed keypress to Enter key or Gamepad A
-Fixed a bug with the launcher PixelsPerDisplay setting

Update v0.3
-Updated to Unreal 4.3 with Oculus SDK 0.4.1
-Added position tracking support, fixed scaling issues
-Supports Direct Mode rendering, with the output mirrored to the monitor
-Added a front end launcher with graphics settings to help get good performance (I will release this as a standalone plugin soon)
-Optimized the post process code in UE4 for VR
-Added a frame counter to the bottom of the screen if performance is bad

Update v0.2
-Improved spline physics so the rollercoaster is much smoother around corners
-Added a jump over the lamp
-Added a sideways corkscrew at the end
-Added some new sounds
-Ported code to a UnrealEngine plugin to make it easy to share the tools (more on that later)

Editor
I've ported the code for my rollercoaster to an Unreal Engine plugin, so you can make your own rollercoaster with doing any coding!

Download the plugin (supports UnrealEngine 4.6.1)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/az87qdqxc1yqx4s/RollercoasterPlugin_v4_6_1.zip

Source code is up here;
https://github.com/Teddy0/RollercoasterPlugin

Here's a tutorial video on how to set it up and make a simple rollercoaster;

432 REPLIES 432

Anonymous
Not applicable
excellent. love the shaders epic built for this demo, really looks like the ikea black-brown texture when you are at this scale.

whitelotusinter
Honored Guest
Awesome!! Is this done with the landscape spline tool? Do you mind briefly sharing how you managed coaster physics (Matinee/Blueprint)?

Frito
Explorer
great to have you back teddy!
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

Tbone
Protege
UE4 seems to have the same bug as previous Unreal builds for me - sub-par FPS and severe head tracking latency. Every other engine and demo runs smooth, but I still can't figure out what my issue is with Unreal (using an Nvidia GTX 560M).
The Furious Angels - an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!

IllusionWeaver6
Explorer
I have the same sub-par fps & latency problems with any Unreal4 demo so far. Using GTX 560M 😞

cybereality
Grand Champion
Nice one!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Tbone
Protege
"illusionweaver69" wrote:
I have the same sub-par fps & latency problems with any Unreal4 demo so far. Using GTX 560M 😞

Well at least we've maybe found the culprit. Are you on an Asus G747x? I just updated the bios to check if that was an issue, but it didn't help. Drivers are up-to-date.
The Furious Angels - an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!

Koshinator
Honored Guest
The Geometry Shader link worked fine, except for the chair comprising the coaster itself - in my left eye it was fine, but in my right eye it was missing the texture (was a matte white), and self shadowing was flicking on and off (only for the chair - everything else was fine)

Video card is a GTX 670, and latest non-beta drivers (335.23)
Couldn't work out how to take a screenshot easily, so didn't 😛

Rivan8
Honored Guest
My system used for this was cpu Intel i7 2700k default clock and gpu nvidia gtx 570. Both the normal and geometry shader version ran at about the same frame rate. All Unreal demos max my gpu though, so that's the bottleneck. It stayed at a mostly constant 45 frames per second. Still playable and enjoyable. Using the current nvidia drivers listed in the nvidia app, 331.65.