cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended Specs" ... but it totally does, and totally works.

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer
This is a very, very minor issue. I'm just curious if anyone else had it happen to them. But the Oculus store claims "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications, witch can lead to a poor experience in VR.", the problem is, I have a pretty beefy rig that goes beyond the minimum specs and I can play basically any VR game I can throw on it at max settings.

My basic/Rift-important specs;
i7-2600k
16gb of DDR3 3200 Ram
EVGA GTX980
On board and dedicated USB 3.0 ports

I suspect it might think my processor is "too old" even though it's totally acceptable for the Rift, it is an early first or second gen i7. Alternatively, it could be doing something wacky like not detecting my USB 3.0 ports.

Either way, it's not affected the VR experience in any way what so ever, I'm just curious if anyone else has this popup?
73 REPLIES 73

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer

lordvtp said:

that and allot of early sandy bridge hardware had very spotty USB3 support. 

yeah, that's exactly why I went ahead and bought a dedicated USB3 card before my Rift arrived. :smile:

Although I ended up plugging in the rift itself into my motherboard's USB3 directly anyway, I only use the dedicated card for the sensor since I only have 2 USB3 ports, and 1 is being used by a USB3 external HDD.

I'm going to need more ports once I have the touch controllers anyway, since I'll need to stick the second sensor into something. 😉

Percy1983
Superstar

It's kind of funny if it's my CPU causing it to flag, since my i7-2600k is actually faster than the i5-4590 they list as the minimum requirements.

I don't know how to break this to you...

...the i5-4590 is faster...
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

kongking
Explorer
I heard that Pascal will not require that much from CPU. Might be a relief for some people.

xSTONEMANx
Expert Protege

Yes the i5-4590 is faster then the i7-2600k

blanes
Rising Star
@cybereality  ~  sorry mate but you are not quite correct there, and with respect it is surprising that this sort of misinformation is still being kicked around. It is fairly common knowledge that the i7-2600K is a brilliant overclocker and mine has been happily running at 4.8ghz for over 5 years now which it enables it to overtake some newer cpu's under certain conditions.  Even the 2500K overclocks like a beast.  

Paired with my 980ti there is nothing in VR that does not run on very decent high settings and many other 2600 owners can attest to this.  The fault is that your software is not taking the cpu speed into account at all but simply reading the chip identifier in windows system.  SteamVR performance tester rates my system at near to the highest level for VR, which is real world correct. Perhaps you can impress on your team to update the Oculus test parameters so it measures cpu speed and gives a more accurate analysis so people do not have to find work-arounds to get rid of a message that is plainly wrong in many cases. 

Oh and updated news for you Percy1983 re the i5-4590 ~ that is true at stock speeds, however the 2600K is made to be overclocked where it is faster.

flyingsaucers
Expert Protege

blanes said:

@cybereality  ~  sorry mate but you are not quite correct there, and with respect it is surprising that this sort of misinformation is still being kicked around. It is fairly common knowledge that the i7-2600K is a brilliant overclocker and mine has been happily running at 4.8ghz for over 5 years now which it enables it to overtake some newer cpu's under certain conditions.  Even the 2500K overclocks like a beast.  

Paired with my 980ti there is nothing in VR that does not run on very decent high settings and many other 2600 owners can attest to this.  The fault is that your software is not taking the cpu speed into account at all but simply reading the chip identifier in windows system.  SteamVR performance tester rates my system at near to the highest level for VR, which is real world correct. Perhaps you can impress on your team to update the Oculus test parameters so it measures cpu speed and gives a more accurate analysis so people do not have to find work-arounds to get rid of a message that is plainly wrong in many cases. 

Oh and updated news for you Percy1983 re the i5-4590 ~ that is true at stock speeds, however the 2600K is made to be overclocked where it is faster.

Obviously the recommended specs on a piece of hardware aren't going to take into account individual overclocks, not to mention a 4.8 OC is higher than your average Sandy Bridge OC. Stock 2600k doesn't meet the min., and while that probably won't be an issue now, where almost every game is basically a tech demo, it's silly to think that Oculus should change their minimum based on anecdotal evidence from a handful of overclocked CPUs running first gen VR demos & games.

That said, if it's working for you, enjoy it 🙂

Percy1983
Superstar
I don't disagree the 2600k can be clocked to be faster than the 4590k, likewise the 4590k can be clocked to remain faster.

By all means I don't meet the spec on model name as I have a 3570k, but clocked at 4.5ghz it is faster than the stock 4590k so I know I will be fine until zen/kabylake.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

dead4sure
Adventurer
Is there not a "Click here to remove this message" option?

lmaceleighton
Honored Guest
I have an AMD 8120 8 Core, that the Oculus tool says doesn't pass the muster...now when I used the Tool for Steam VR, it find that my performance never goes below 90 FPS...not even close, in fact it never goes below 100 FPS. It is MORE than possible that you CAN have a system that WILL give a great experience, and still not pass the Oculus test...BTW, it seems to be a tool which doesn't seem to "test" anything, but just looks at your hardware. Also Cyber I can play Chronos Maxed...although i am still using the DK2 my frame rates are more than sufficient for the CV1. I think you guys need a better way of determining if you system will work for VR or not, other than a Spec list, because that does not seem to work well in my experience.

shim2
Adventurer

No, it does not meet the recommendation. The 2600k CPU is many years past it's prime, though still a somewhat passable experience. I can also confirm that you won't be able to max out every game, since I have a better machine and still can't get close to maxing out Chronos (for example). Sorry.

The 2600k is faster than the 4590 in every way except for single thread performance. If you overclock it, it is MUCH faster than the 4590. That stupid message should have the option of being disabled.