cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended Specs" ... but it totally does, and totally works.

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer
This is a very, very minor issue. I'm just curious if anyone else had it happen to them. But the Oculus store claims "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications, witch can lead to a poor experience in VR.", the problem is, I have a pretty beefy rig that goes beyond the minimum specs and I can play basically any VR game I can throw on it at max settings.

My basic/Rift-important specs;
i7-2600k
16gb of DDR3 3200 Ram
EVGA GTX980
On board and dedicated USB 3.0 ports

I suspect it might think my processor is "too old" even though it's totally acceptable for the Rift, it is an early first or second gen i7. Alternatively, it could be doing something wacky like not detecting my USB 3.0 ports.

Either way, it's not affected the VR experience in any way what so ever, I'm just curious if anyone else has this popup?
73 REPLIES 73

Percy1983
Superstar

shim2 said:

No, it does not meet the recommendation. The 2600k CPU is many years past it's prime, though still a somewhat passable experience. I can also confirm that you won't be able to max out every game, since I have a better machine and still can't get close to maxing out Chronos (for example). Sorry.

The 2600k is faster than the 4590 in every way except for single thread performance. If you overclock it, it is MUCH faster than the 4590. That stupid message should have the option of being disabled.

But single thread performance is what matters the most, by all means I agree with enough of an overclock it should be up to spec.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer
I find it strange people are just deciding the i5 4590 is faster, when every website you check comparing the two in raw benchmarks the i7 2600k usually ties/nearly ties, without overclocking.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=868&cmp[]=2234

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/502/Intel_Core_i5_i5-4590_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-2600K.html

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4590/621vs2604

This ones probably the more damneding to my argument, showing the 4590 as a clear winner;
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4590

But all in all, I'd like to say at worst, the 2600k is just as good as a 4590. At best, I can overclock this thing beyond what the 4590 can handle.

I feel like there's a lot of "It's old so it's slower" bias going around, not realizing the i7 2600k was a beast of a processor when it was released. It's like comparing an old GTX580 to a GTX960. Sure, it's older, but the GTX580 ties the 960. Although I could argue with GPU technology the 960 has significantly better DX12 support. 🙂

Percy1983
Superstar
Each generation has got better single thread performance per clock, as you say this can be overcome .

Even your links all show the 4590 having better single thread performance, yes multi thread it has a slight advantage which will be due to HT on the i7 and not the i5.

In short a stock 2600k does not pass the grade, with a modest overclock it will.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Greenfire32
Heroic Explorer
I'm really glad this thread exists. I know there was a problem with the USB ports where if you didn't have the right kind, the Rift wouldn't even bother turning on rather than giving sub-optimal performance.

I was worried the same would be true for the i7 2600k, but sat on my pre-order anyway.

Now that I know it won't just sit there refusing to work, I feel much better. And if anyone cares, every website that compares CPUs is telling me that the i7 2600k out performs the i5 4590 and all of the stand alone benchmark softwares I've used to test my rig for "Rift Ready" say that I should be more than capable of running it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
One thing we over look is that neither the Vive nor Oculus testing software actually test the CPU. Even if you are getting above 90 FPS, there isn't any real world data going on there on the CPU side of things. It could be possible that the CPU at base isn't enough. It's a single thread application that is counting on a CPU that can handle it.

Now, I wont say they have it right. I think they're just trying to be on the safe side of things and only recommending that you meet or above these settings. Other wise, I almost would say ~ get it and try it. At worst you would just have to upgrade. 

blanes
Rising Star
Real world tested & confirmed ... i7-2600k works brilliantly in VR. SteamVR test only confirms what is known. Oculus test is wrong and is not difficult for them to fix but they will not, probably because it is an old cpu. It also does not help when the main spokesman here, Cybereality tells wrong or misleading information about this specific cpu.

Lemming1970
Rising Star
I don't see the issue? would you all rather they underestimated the specs and you had a bad experience?

I've an old Xeon X5670, and while most experiences are amazing, I do believe it is holding my system back when playing Project cars. Not to the point that it's unusable, but I do have to turn settings down. I'm glad I knew in advance that this would probably be the case.

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

blanes
Rising Star
It is simply incorrect information and it leads some people to unnecessarily go and buy upgrades when there is no immediate need. Certainly at some point we all upgrade but don't go and do it because a poorly implemented app tells you that it is needed when it clearly is not. It could be fixed and has been spoken about plenty but it is not and so you keep hearing people questioning it.  No problems at all with pCars and have played it since the very first build - not in VR back then though.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

blanes said:

It is simply incorrect information and it leads some people to unnecessarily go and buy upgrades when there is no immediate need. Certainly at some point we all upgrade but don't go and do it because a poorly implemented app tells you that it is needed when it clearly is not. It could be fixed and has been spoken about plenty but it is not and so you keep hearing people questioning it.  No problems at all with pCars and have played it since the very first build - not in VR back then though.

How is it incorrect information? Can you show which benchmarks you are referencing that rated the 4590 as having worse single-threaded speed than a non-overclocked 2600k? The point is, Oculus had to set a minimum system, because they wanted to *guarantee* a certain level of performance to *all* Rift owners, that developers can rely on. Rift developers expect all Rift owners to have a 4590 or newer CPU.

Enforcer32
Honored Guest
I have an AMD 6300 overclocked from 3.5 to 4.2. 16gb ram, Asus Strix 980Ti (6gb) and i run everything maxed out with not a single issue. Its just what they advise you use.. doesnt bother me.