cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breakthrough For Many Issues: 'UserModePowerService'

DNACowboy
Adventurer
Remember our friend '[DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175
' ??

If users check Windows Event Viewer and select 'Windows Logs/System' they will discover numerous messages referring to 'Process C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:3556) reset policy scheme from {*****************************} to {******************************}

qmol81lzrjic.jpg

This is a deliberate decision by the developers in how OR configures the power for the headset, essentially, a combination of Windows and the hmd are constantly resetting the power policy to protect the life of the lens and save energy, unfortunately for us this causes many of the 'driving me crazy' disconnection issues. Now, Windows should not constantly be resetting power policy in reference to any device but (under instruction from the OR software) the OS does esp in Windows 7, 8 and 10, when that happens you can guarantee HDMI or Sensor disconnects.

So, with this in mind what we are going to do is force Windows to set one power policy and keep it, thereby preventing the vast majority of 'HDMI and usb sensor disconnects'

Go into your Windows power option settings and select 'High Performance', then 'advanced' and look for the USB settings, change 'Sleep mode' from enabled to Never.
2: In the Run Box bar type 'cmd', a window will appear, in that window type: POWERCFG -LIST
If you look you will see the different power plans listed and the one you just set called 'high performance'  with an asterisk next to it (indicating that this power plan is active) right click and copy the GUID (that series of numbers associated with the high performance setting) ) line, open notepad and paste, then save it somewhere on your desktop. 

Use-Specific-Power-Plan

3:  In the run box type: gpedit.msc, this opens the Local Group Policy Editor which will force windows to keep the performance plan that the Rift MUST have i order to work correctly.

Prevent Store Apps From Pinning To Start Screen When Installed Enable disable Load Sites And Content In The Background policy in Internet Explorer 11

In the left pane, navigate here:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Power Management

Specify a custom active power plan

4. In the right pane of the window shown above, double click Specify a custom active power plansetting which is Not Configured by default to get this:

Use-Specific-Power-Plan-2

5. In the above shown window, firstly click Enabled and then in the Options section, input the Custom Active Power Plan (GUID) as we copied from step 1. Click Apply followed by OK. You may close the Local Group Policy Editor now. 

6: When you go back into Power Options you should see this:

i6l08hvh512p.jpg

Finally, if you go back into Event Viewer and select 'Windows Logs/System' you should see:

4xvn6hfqlus7.jpg

See the top one?

(Also, note underneath the top one you can see OR Home is resetting the power policy every three seconds, no wonder people are getting hdmi and sensor disconnects!)

After this, you should never see a single error associated with 'UserModePowerService'

Source:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/specify-custom-active-power-plan-windows

edit. Asmedia have released a new usb driver in the lsat couple of weeks, I installed them and the problem remains if you allow Windows OS and Oculus software to constantly reset the power policy. I recommend the above policy to force Oculus Home to stop resetting and causing disconnects.

Who is John Galt?
80 REPLIES 80

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
There is a USB power setting under advanced power settings which I also have disabled for power performance.

DNACowboy
Adventurer

@DNACowboy Can you please upload the log files so we can take a look?

sure, here you go:

Oculus_Logs_20160830_082132 is after I removed the power plan which produced numerous hdmi and sensor disconnects.

Oculus_Logs_20160828_112632 is with the customized power plan in place 

notice at: 28/08 00:32:42.312  when I turned off customised power plan: {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default] [DisplayManager]  Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175

and then again at 28/08 00:32:47.296 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default] [DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175.

If I had left off my customized power plan a very long list of hardware and other errors start creeping in.

Without a doubt, the constant power resetting of the hmd is the root cause of many support issues.

Who is John Galt?

cybereality
Grand Champion
OK, thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

vrmower
Heroic Explorer

DNACowboy said:

the OS does esp in Windows 7, 8 and 10, when that happens you can guarantee HDMI or Sensor disconnects.

Was unable to reproduce this.

I covered the occupancy sensor and after noting the following:

31/08 15:49:40.330 {INFO}    [Kernel:Default] [DisplayManager] Completed enabling high performance power scheme successfully.

Changed power setting to "power savings" which includes USB selective suspend, LSPM and CPU throttling.

No disconnects or any noticeable effect of any kind.  I toggled back and forth between various plans many times while HMD was active and nothing.

andrinos
Explorer
@DNACowboy just tried it and I'm back in business. Thank you! I'll keep this thread posted if I lose the connection again. 

andrinos
Explorer
Forgot to note that the power profile got it working with a DisplayPort adapter. Just tried HDMI and it is not working.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Hey DNA, can you let me know your system specs? Specifically I'd be interested in your motherboard model number. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

DNACowboy
Adventurer
Hey DNA, can you let me know your system specs? Specifically I'd be interested in your motherboard model number. Thanks.
Asus X99A (dreaded Asmedia USB controller)
Gainward 1080 Founders Ed
32gb Ripjaw DDR4 memory 

I've appended my entire system specs and you can grab them at the bottom of the post.

Btw, Cyber, I contacted Asmedia about their USB controller in relation to the rift and a chap called Alex Chen from their HO is going to respond in the next few days.
For now, I've disabled my Asmedia USB controller and that resolves many of the issues but not the disconnections when removing the HMD, for that I carried out the above solution.

vrmower said:

DNACowboy said:

the OS does esp in Windows 7, 8 and 10, when that happens you can guarantee HDMI or Sensor disconnects.

Was unable to reproduce this.

I covered the occupancy sensor and after noting the following:

31/08 15:49:40.330 {INFO}    [Kernel:Default] [DisplayManager] Completed enabling high performance power scheme successfully.

Changed power setting to "power savings" which includes USB selective suspend, LSPM and CPU throttling.

No disconnects or any noticeable effect of any kind.  I toggled back and forth between various plans many times while HMD was active and nothing.

Now this is really, really interesting, would you please post your hardware details here inc OS and what your USB solution is ?
if we can find what the difference is we may be able to pin down and resolve this once and for all.

------------------—-------------------------

andrinos said:
@DNACowboy just tried it and I'm back in business. Thank you! I'll keep this thread posted if I lose the connection.

Excellent news! 
Is there any chance you could also post your system specs as well?
Who is John Galt?

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
is that a suggestion to use "Power saver" instead of "High Performance" ?

DNACowboy
Adventurer

is that a suggestion to use "Power saver" instead of "High Performance" ?

No, not at all, max performance seems to be the most reliable power policy

the power management folder doesn't exist and therefor could not set the policy. 

Are you referring to Event Viewer/windows logs/system 'folder' ??

Who is John Galt?