cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breakthrough For Many Issues: 'UserModePowerService'

DNACowboy
Adventurer
Remember our friend '[DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175
' ??

If users check Windows Event Viewer and select 'Windows Logs/System' they will discover numerous messages referring to 'Process C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:3556) reset policy scheme from {*****************************} to {******************************}

qmol81lzrjic.jpg

This is a deliberate decision by the developers in how OR configures the power for the headset, essentially, a combination of Windows and the hmd are constantly resetting the power policy to protect the life of the lens and save energy, unfortunately for us this causes many of the 'driving me crazy' disconnection issues. Now, Windows should not constantly be resetting power policy in reference to any device but (under instruction from the OR software) the OS does esp in Windows 7, 8 and 10, when that happens you can guarantee HDMI or Sensor disconnects.

So, with this in mind what we are going to do is force Windows to set one power policy and keep it, thereby preventing the vast majority of 'HDMI and usb sensor disconnects'

Go into your Windows power option settings and select 'High Performance', then 'advanced' and look for the USB settings, change 'Sleep mode' from enabled to Never.
2: In the Run Box bar type 'cmd', a window will appear, in that window type: POWERCFG -LIST
If you look you will see the different power plans listed and the one you just set called 'high performance'  with an asterisk next to it (indicating that this power plan is active) right click and copy the GUID (that series of numbers associated with the high performance setting) ) line, open notepad and paste, then save it somewhere on your desktop. 

Use-Specific-Power-Plan

3:  In the run box type: gpedit.msc, this opens the Local Group Policy Editor which will force windows to keep the performance plan that the Rift MUST have i order to work correctly.

Prevent Store Apps From Pinning To Start Screen When Installed Enable disable Load Sites And Content In The Background policy in Internet Explorer 11

In the left pane, navigate here:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Power Management

Specify a custom active power plan

4. In the right pane of the window shown above, double click Specify a custom active power plansetting which is Not Configured by default to get this:

Use-Specific-Power-Plan-2

5. In the above shown window, firstly click Enabled and then in the Options section, input the Custom Active Power Plan (GUID) as we copied from step 1. Click Apply followed by OK. You may close the Local Group Policy Editor now. 

6: When you go back into Power Options you should see this:

i6l08hvh512p.jpg

Finally, if you go back into Event Viewer and select 'Windows Logs/System' you should see:

4xvn6hfqlus7.jpg

See the top one?

(Also, note underneath the top one you can see OR Home is resetting the power policy every three seconds, no wonder people are getting hdmi and sensor disconnects!)

After this, you should never see a single error associated with 'UserModePowerService'

Source:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/specify-custom-active-power-plan-windows

edit. Asmedia have released a new usb driver in the lsat couple of weeks, I installed them and the problem remains if you allow Windows OS and Oculus software to constantly reset the power policy. I recommend the above policy to force Oculus Home to stop resetting and causing disconnects.

Who is John Galt?
80 REPLIES 80

XMerc
Expert Protege
Something interesting i've noticed. Depending on what software i'm running I get the issue MUCH more common. For example...in Big Screen if i'm not in a multiplayer room I rarely get any camera errors in event viewer...but as soon as I join a multiplayer room it starts giving me the "Camera Frame Truncated" error and eventually losing connection every 1-2 minutes. If I play Lucky's tale I only get the error maybe once every 5 minutes and it maybe only loses connection every 15 minutes. So the software that is running makes a huge difference in the frequency of the camera disconnects.

XMerc
Expert Protege
If i'm just sitting in the Oculus home room and no apps open I RARELY get any errors..but as soon as I open an app the errors start coming...some apps worse than others. 

XMerc
Expert Protege
Also when I put my sensor in my on board USB 2.0 port I get no more errors. It only happens on the add on Inateck USB 3.0 card.

VonTornefeld
Protege
I am going to do that, but i mention that i undid(!) the fix you brought us. (sorry bad english)

DNACowboy said:

@VonTornefield
@Xmerc

Guys, can you both go into event viewer, see 'summary of administrative events'? In that box you'l see 'errors', click the '+' symbol and it will will open up, double click 'OculusVR'.
Now, please highlight each entry and report the first half a dozen here.

thanks.

03/09 05:35:56.599
{!ERROR!} [DML:CameraImpl]

WMTD302N4000DF:
Breaking out of capture loop due to catastrophic error. OVR Error: Code: -8020
-- ovrError_HALNordicSyncNoFrames Description: Sync pulses sent but no frames
received OVRTime: 92218.307198 Time: 2016-09-03 05:35:56 [599:161:300]

03/09 05:35:56.598
{!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error]

Sync pulses sent but no
frames received

03/09 05:35:56.412
{!ERROR!} [FBNS]

ClientImpl.cpp:169
Failed to connect to the MQTT server

03/09 05:35:56.397

WaitForFrame wait
timeout

03/09 05:35:11.568
{!ERROR!} [HAL:CommOcusbvid]

WMTD302N4000DF:
CancelIoAndWaitForRequestCompletions: Failed to wait for all requests to
complete. Attempting to shutdown anyway. Wait result: 0xffffffff, Last Error:
0x6

03/09 05:35:11.535

WMTD302N4000DF:
received OVRTime: 92173.243574 Time: 2016-09-03 05:35:11 [535:537:600]

03/09 05:35:11.535

Sync pulses sent but no
frames received

03/09 05:35:11.334

WaitForFrame wait
timeout

03/09 05:33:58.346

WMTD302N4000DF:
received OVRTime: 92100.054472 Time: 2016-09-03 05:33:58 [346:435:400]

03/09 05:33:58.346

Sync pulses sent but no
frames received

Ok, to get that, i did a
small play session with Dreamdeck (sensor disconnecting every minute or
so), and being in Home (same disconnecting errors) for like 10 minutes.
Then i turned off my WiFi controller or board, (Qualcomm Atheros i
think) and the disconnecting errors SUDDENLY disappeared. I did 4 demos
of Dreamdeck without a single error and almost 10 minutes of Minecraft
and no errors too ! The logs looks like there are only network related
errors now.

DNACowboy
Adventurer

I am going to do that, but i mention that i undid(!) the fix you brought us. (sorry bad english)

DNACowboy said:

@VonTornefield
@Xmerc

Guys, can you both go into event viewer, see 'summary of administrative events'? In that box you'l see 'errors', click the '+' symbol and it will will open up, double click 'OculusVR'.
Now, please highlight each entry and report the first half a dozen here.

thanks.

Ok, to get that, i did a
small play session with Dreamdeck (sensor disconnecting every minute or
so), and being in Home (same disconnecting errors) for like 10 minutes.
Then i turned off my WiFi controller or board, (Qualcomm Atheros i
think) and the disconnecting errors SUDDENLY disappeared. I did 4 demos
of Dreamdeck without a single error and almost 10 minutes of Minecraft
and no errors too ! The logs looks like there are only network related
errors now.

I'm pleased, wifi controllers are well-known to cause hardware conflicts with the Rift.

XMerc said:
Also when I put my sensor in my on board USB 2.0 port I get no more errors. It only happens on the add on Inateck USB 3.0 card.

Go into your bios/advanced and turn off 'USB Legacy Support', reboot and report back.

Who is John Galt?

XMerc
Expert Protege
@DNACowboy
I have turned USB Legacy Free Mode (What my BIOS calls it) both on and off and no change to the Oculus errors.

ozarsenal
Explorer

Editing local policy fix doesn't seem possible via gpedit.msc (after installing manually) with windows 10 Home. The Power Management folder doesn't exist in gpedit in Windows 10 Home under Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System ->

I have tried adding the reg key manually below

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings!ActivePowerScheme

Value is set to 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

and pasting in the GUID for the high performance plan with the USB Selective Suspend Setting disabled,  but still getting the usb resets.

Same event every time -

Process C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:4808) reset policy scheme from {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} to {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c}

Can someone (@DNACowboy ?) who has the fix working please check the registry key and confirm that the value type is a string value and not something else? Is there something else that needs to be activated to enforce the policy?

FYI @cybereality

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
Cyber - Can you give us any insight to where your engineering team are at?

kojack
MVP
MVP
In Elite dangerous I often had tracking lost (maybe every 10min or so). Since I upgraded from a geforce 980 to 1080 the other day I had frequent hdmi disconnections (which were fixed by just clicking in the elite window, so seemed nothing was really wrong physically) and crashes.
Last night (after yet another crash / display missing) I went into advanced power settings and changed the usb power mode stuff. Today I've played several hours of Elite with no glitches at all. It hasn't lost tracking or hdmi.
(I didn't do all the stuff in the OP, I just went to advanced settings of the high performance profile. I'm in windows 10 education, which is similar to enterprise, I've got more control than home edition)

Might just be coincidence, I'd better do some more "testing". 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

UnFknBLievable
Expert Protege
That's pretty much all the power settings I was able to change. Other than device manager and unchecking the USB power management for sensor and every other USB device.