cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Movies on the CV1

thegrogster
Honored Guest
Is there a player available that will wrestle control of the CV1 away from the Oculus Home software? I wanted to watch a side-by-side 3D movie with it to test and I can't figure out how. All the software I used for the DK doesn't seem to work because when I put the headset on the Oculus Home app pops up.
20 REPLIES 20

pedrw
Expert Protege
Where to find "Oculus Cinema" in CV1? I am unable to play 3D movies or 360. I've tried Cineveo and Virtual Desktop and nothing works...

Roaster
Rising Star
Virtual desktop takes anything you can play on your monitor and sends it to the headset. So web browsers or word docs or movie playback all can be seen.
It's worth the trouble to make it work.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

pedrw
Expert Protege

Roaster said:

Virtual desktop takes anything you can play on your monitor and sends it to the headset. So web browsers or word docs or movie playback all can be seen.

It's worth the trouble to make it work.

But I can not switch to 3D. How to do it ?

Roaster
Rising Star
When you have 3d content playing, you typically set it to be full screen on your monitor. The format Half Side by Side works well. This is where the media appears in two side by side images that are too tall looking. Use F7 to toggle the display from 2d to 3d. Use F6 for full side by side if it doesn't look right. A lot of 360 vids are not 3d.
If you open a browser and load a utube SBS and hit full screen then F7. It should work.
Of course you need to get the Virtual desktop app running first, and the Oculus app already up.
You should have 3rd party sources enabled I think. It will be ready when you have the Virtual Desktop settings screen on top of the Oculus app.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

SpiceLife72
Adventurer
Use Cineveo plays 3D movies great in a 4D cinema.  Available on steam.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
I use Whirligig.  It works well for full screen 3d movies.  Download the free version here:

http://www.whirligig.xyz/player2-1-2/

See my posts here for instructions (my first two posts talk about it):

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36713/my-cv1-first-impressions-as-a-vr-virgin-expecta...

HiThere_
Superstar
I just finished answering that question in this post : https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37180/how-to-play-a-side-by-side-video-on-oculus-rift...

It tells you how to watch 3D movies in "Oculus Video", it tells you why you should watch them in Whirligig instead, and adds a basic tutorial to demonstrate how easy and convenient Whirligig is to use, despite the initial negative impression it's user interface might have on you.

HiThere
Explorer

Is there anyway to playback 3D BluRay using the rift?  Or are we still forced to re-encode everything to a Side By Side format to use the Oculus Home (lame) Video Player?

I've watched some 3D movie samples on a Google Cardboard & HTC One (1920x1080) and didn't mind the slightly low resolution, but then again I've been happy with a 720p 3D DLP Projector on a 106" screen for the past 6 years 😉

Although everyone with a compatible movie playback software is doing the projection correctly for your run-of-the-mill rectangular video in a virtual 2-D Cinema, there is no software I can find vice Stereoscopic Player that will play 3D MVC format (MP4 profile 5, like you find on a 3D bluray) and decode both left and right eye video streams for projection on the CV1.  The bad thing about that is, Stereoscopic Player needs an update for CV1 it doesn't have.  

All the people suggesting Virtual Desktop or Cineveo or the Oculus Video Player software really mean re-encode to side-by-side, or enjoy in 2D in a virtual cinema.  This is frustrating, because the problem is literally already solved, they're already doing the projection for the left eye from a dual-video stream, they're just repeating it across both eyes.  I can't see this would take long to add to the feature set of any capable player, with the caveat that without HDCP, you would have to first legally rip your bluray for the raw MVC MP4.  There's a small market for that, but with such a simple fix, I don't understand why it isn't implemented.  

I have a suggestion in with Whirligig that's at least been acknowledged. 

emma24xia
Honored Guest
You can use Whirligig or VirtualDesktop to view SBS 3D movies on Oculus Rfit CV1. You can buy the $4 version on Steam which gets occasional updates, improvements, and new features. For people who wish to play 3D Blu-ray on Oculus Rift CV1, you can use a 3D Blu-ray Ripper such as Pavtube BDMagic to convert 3D Blu-ray to Oculus Rift CV1 compatible 3D SBS or TAB format. 

HiThere
Explorer
Not to resurrect a thread no one cares about, but the ability to decode 3D MVC is built into LAV codecs now.  Can't fathom why the exposed-to-free-codec 2nd video frame right-eye info from these files (3D MVC .mkv) can't be accessed and sent to the right eye when several of the VR players mentioned use LAV codecs as a base for their playback capabilities.  These players can play the left eye frame from 3D MVC in .mkv video right now, as they sit.  They just pretend it's a normal .mkv and ignore the right-eye info, available in the same stream if you have a capable codec like LAV.  I would think this has become a half-hour project at most for VR players that use LAV:  In these 3D MKV bluray rips, the right eye info is encoded to the pixel space right above the left eye info. This effectively makes them over/under, but this is only in software: Most players just ignore that it's 3D, and play only the left eye content as if it were a normal 1080p mkv, projecting it onto a "flat" screen in a virtual cinema just like every 2D file.  

If they would only use the same LAV codec to access the right eye info, and project the area above the left eye info to the right eye, just like they already project the left-eye area of the frame to the left eye, this would be done with, and open up users to a whole range of 3D movie content in a playback system that can really drive immersive 3D.  Why is this capability nowhere to be found?  Does the capability of watching 3D cinema in a simulated Imax-like environment really trip no-one's trigger?  Those software converters for SBS video all exist because this capability is exposed, and the files you get in a bluray rip are child's play compared to all but the most basic 180 3D videos, and would be no problem at all for a Rift-spec'd PC running LAV.  It would be the easiest thing you did in VR all day.

Converting to SBS blows.  I submit as evidence all your SBS conversions from bluray.  All those software converters crank down on the bitrate needlessly in a quest to save computing space on machines that are driving circles around this capability already, among a community of customers very used to large file sizes and high system requirements.