cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Flying Game For VR w/controller?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I know someone already made a thread about best flying game for "daddy" but what about most practical flying game. I've just downloaded DCS World for the Vive and FFS what a load of croc (even if it appears to be a cool game for free). Press Alt L to start Power, Press L CTRL Home to power up engine. Yadda yadda. It makes Elite Dangerous feel like it's for babies.  Actually, I like Elite Dangerous' look and select options. To me it seems intuitive and not needing a Keyboard (which you can't see) as well.  Elite also allows you to customize the control pad with combos such as D-Pad Left and A button to give it more options. I couldn't do that in DCS.

Are there any reccomended flying games that can easily use a 360/Xbox One controller without the need for having a keyboard (which you can't see) on your lap or fancy flight sticks which I'm not going to invest in? Once I was airborne in DCS it felt pretty good even if I had limited movement.

Thanks.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
34 REPLIES 34

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
@SickleFoot I am pretty sure they support the Vive directly.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

SickleFoot
Protege

You're right! Says beta.

Sweet!

SickleFoot
Protege

You're right! Says beta.

Sweet!

Bit pricey though for Flyinside. Wonder how long the trial lasts?

EDIT: Never mind, says they are limited to 15 minute flights.

STUJAMR
Protege
DCS requires a lot of different configs for each plane because each plane is different. The difference between a "game" and a "simulator" is huge. In a simulator there are many aspects that are complex to the point of not being fun. The devs went through a lot of trouble to make it as close as they could to the real thing. Another good example is in flight simulator you can lose the ability of your wing to produce lift. To a gamer it would appear for no reason your plane falls out of the sky. Controlling level flight is also not a given. You are forced to become familiar with the aspects of how trim and flaps work. It can be a pain in the ass. Some planes performance just flat out suck and you really have to work it and balance your flight bubble very gently.

In a game not much is required. Point add power shoot!

I like both styles. Sometimes a sim is just to much trouble and other times I really respect the realism.

SickleFoot
Protege
When running FSX with Flyinside, I sometimes get a lot of flickering on the screen.

Anyone know of a solution? Anything to do with the graphic settings?

Thanks!

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Agreed @jrs69, my only issue with the DCS config is some of the most rudimentary controls that would appear on every aircraft (start engines, close canopy, ect...) can't be mapped for every aircraft in one go.  Flight Sim X is the perfect level of configurable controls without going completely overboard for each individual aircraft.  This is totally my opinion though and I could see why people (especially actual aviators) would really enjoy being able to map out every single little control for each aircraft.  DCS is a very awesome game once you get it down though.  I have spent quite a bit of time in the tutorials learning all the various attack modes and it is very fun.

My CH Products HOTAS never has any existing configs I like, so I end up making my own configs.  I at least save them so I am not stuck re-doing them after every Windows install.

@SickleFoot, I would maybe try the Flyinside forums.  Those guys are super helpful.  I haven't had any issues with the software personally.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a brand new flight simulator the "Flight Sim World" from Dovtail https://www.pccdkeys.com/product/flight-sim-world-cd-key-steam/ does anyone owns it? Is it compatible with oculus?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
No I don't own it and no immediate plans to make it usable with VR both from ourselves at flyinside and dovetail but they promised to look into it.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

falken76
Expert Consultant

I know someone already made a thread about best flying game for "daddy" but what about most practical flying game. I've just downloaded DCS World for the Vive and FFS what a load of croc (even if it appears to be a cool game for free). Press Alt L to start Power, Press L CTRL Home to power up engine. Yadda yadda. It makes Elite Dangerous feel like it's for babies.  Actually, I like Elite Dangerous' look and select options. To me it seems intuitive and not needing a Keyboard (which you can't see) as well.  Elite also allows you to customize the control pad with combos such as D-Pad Left and A button to give it more options. I couldn't do that in DCS.

Are there any reccomended flying games that can easily use a 360/Xbox One controller without the need for having a keyboard (which you can't see) on your lap or fancy flight sticks which I'm not going to invest in? Once I was airborne in DCS it felt pretty good even if I had limited movement.

Thanks.

You have to map the buttons to the controller.  But those games are not intuitive because they are simulators.  Flight sims are software that the target demographic are usually very passionate about.  FSX, Prepar3D, DCS.  These are all flight sims.  You can buy add on aircraft that come with flight manuals the size of phone books.  Elite is similar to the simulator but it's fantasy whereas these simulators operate the same way their real life plane counterparts do.  It took me almost an hour to learn how to power up an airliner in FSX manually without using autostart.  That's just to turn the damn thing on and get it ready.  That time of time consumption is all over flight sims, then you fly forever to your destination doing nothing.  It was great fun, but if you replaced the plane with a bus it would be the worse game you could ever imagine lol. 

I bought a flight sim on steam.  I can't remember the name, but it's for VR.  I think it sucks because the flight mechanics are nowhere near as good as they are in FSX, but it's probably a really dumbed down version you could enjoy.  I don't even think you can crash in it, but I am not sure.  The GFX are great and it feels like you're really in their fake plane flying around, the mechanics of the flight are just terrible compared to any other sim.

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
My mate is an avid flight sim dude.  He is proper excited about the new X-plane 11 that was released three months ago.  He says it has loads of detail and an impressively full array of interactive cockpit doobrees.  Plus the flight nerds love it for the flight model etc

BUT

to get *all* the minutia, like more detailed ATC or less generic smaller airports you will need to download player made plugins etc.  AND, so far, no flightplanner so you will need to use 3rd party ones.