cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Flying Game For VR w/controller?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I know someone already made a thread about best flying game for "daddy" but what about most practical flying game. I've just downloaded DCS World for the Vive and FFS what a load of croc (even if it appears to be a cool game for free). Press Alt L to start Power, Press L CTRL Home to power up engine. Yadda yadda. It makes Elite Dangerous feel like it's for babies.  Actually, I like Elite Dangerous' look and select options. To me it seems intuitive and not needing a Keyboard (which you can't see) as well.  Elite also allows you to customize the control pad with combos such as D-Pad Left and A button to give it more options. I couldn't do that in DCS.

Are there any reccomended flying games that can easily use a 360/Xbox One controller without the need for having a keyboard (which you can't see) on your lap or fancy flight sticks which I'm not going to invest in? Once I was airborne in DCS it felt pretty good even if I had limited movement.

Thanks.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am always amazed at how some old threads get revived...
😉

In any event, I absolutely love and have more hours of enjoyment in DCS than any other game for me - ever. Have played it over the last several years - since like 2008-2009, and am especially enjoying it now in VR with my Rift. Lately I have really gotten back into IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad as well, and find myself now spending even more time in it - it is quite fun as well. Both though really require a good joystick setup , a good HOTAS preferably.  Neither one are anything one is going to be able to load up and play with a standard x-box controller in their leisure for sure. These two though are my main go to games for hours upon hours of pleasure for me.

For me, these are the best VR flying games.

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Blimey, I saw May, didn't see the year!

So:
DCS with that multiple plane pack?
DCS with the helecoptor?
IL-2 BoS?

Which would you recommend?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
IL2 hands down 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Blimey, I saw May, didn't see the year!

So:
DCS with that multiple plane pack?
DCS with the helecoptor?
IL-2 BoS?

Which would you recommend?

IL-2 if one has neither, while it is still fairly hard core it also has less of a learning curve and quicker to get acclimated to and flying combat. Planes are also a little easier to learn to fly IMHO. In DCS once can spend hours upon hours just learning the systems modeling of the particular aircraft they want to fly.

I love them both for what they each offer.

YoLolo69
Trustee
Possibly @falken76 you are talking about Aerofly FS2 which is made for VR from scratch and it's currently my best choice for casual flying. It's beautiful, fps friendly, and easy to start and get control. I'm using HOTAS recognized automatically (T16000M). I really enjoy it even if I can't judge of the flying mechanisms which feel OK for me, but I'm not an expert. I give up with FSX and FlyInside because I was struggling with settings. The fact it's made from ground for VR make it easy to handle and really beautiful. 3D Cockpit are well managed. It's early access but already enjoyable. Good flying feeling. It's expensive AFAIK 49.99 Euros but you can test it with Steam refund system.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Tested and returned within an hour weeks ago lol I'm sure it will get there one day but that's only my opinion 🙂
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Thanks!  Even though both replies suggested IL2...
How cool is flying the helo in DCS?  Is it effective in VR?

EDIT
Forgot to say thanks for the replies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  Even though both replies suggested IL2...
How cool is flying the helo in DCS?  Is it effective in VR?

EDIT
Forgot to say thanks for the replies.

I fly the KA-50 Black Shark in DCS and love it. More recently have been more into WWII flying the Spitfire in the new Normandy map. 
The KA-50 was the first simulated aircraft DCS did, and they did a superb job with it. All systems modeled, full on switches in the cockpit. Going through the cold start procedure manually in it is a blast and very rewarding. It does air to ground combat very well. But it did take me quite a long time to learn it to the point that I have.

The cockpit may not be as sharp in VR as some of their newer modules, but I still find it pretty nice. I know also a lot of guys have and love the Huey as well.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
The Huey is a blast with "I gotta get out of this place" playing in the background 🙂

falken76
Expert Consultant

YoLolo69 said:

Possibly @falken76 you are talking about Aerofly FS2 which is made for VR from scratch and it's currently my best choice for casual flying. It's beautiful, fps friendly, and easy to start and get control. I'm using HOTAS recognized automatically (T16000M). I really enjoy it even if I can't judge of the flying mechanisms which feel OK for me, but I'm not an expert. I give up with FSX and FlyInside because I was struggling with settings. The fact it's made from ground for VR make it easy to handle and really beautiful. 3D Cockpit are well managed. It's early access but already enjoyable. Good flying feeling. It's expensive AFAIK 49.99 Euros but you can test it with Steam refund system.

Yes that's the one.  It's not bad, but I really enjoyed FSX and Prepard3d.  I bought all kinds of add ons for FSX.  In comparison, the planes in Aerofly FS2 don't feel right. But there are people that bought add ons such as the PDMG planes who would say they can't fly the default planes in FSX because they feel terrible now that they're used to the PDMG models.  I think Aerofly is great for what it is and I have no regrets spending the $50 I did pay for it because I certainly support the developer for the excellent job he already has done.  I would love to see updates that would add missions like FSX had.  I really enjoyed doing the missions.