Welcome to the Oculus Forums! Below, you can find information on forum rules, answers to common new user questions, and the names of the forum admins / mods you should reach out to if you encounter an issue here on the forums. The goal of this post is consolidate a variety of preexisting information into one mega post so that everything is easy to find. We will likely be adding to this post over time as needed. Huge shoutout to the mod team for surfacing a lot of this info in the first place! If you have any feedback on this post, please send me a PM!
1. Don't be a jerk. - You know when you're being one, so don't do it.
2. No discrimination or hate-speech. - This is a zero-tolerance policy.
3. Remain respectful of other members, moderators and admins at all times. - Civil debate is acceptable, but please be respectful of others while you do so. This means you may not call people names or otherwise make personal attacks on other members.
4. No trolling, inflammatory threads, or flame wars. - If you'd like to discuss a controversial topic in a controlled and civil manner, you may do so.
5. No posting of "obscene" content, links, images, or videos. - In order to keep our forums safe for all viewers, discussion of VR / Oculus related NSFW topics are not allowed, and we ask that people do not post or link to obscene material.
6. No religious, political, ideological, scientific or socioeconomic debate. - If you would like to have an ideological debate, please find another forum.
7. Do not cross-post the same message into multiple threads or sub-forums. - If you have a question or comment, please only post one thread in the appropriate forum or thread.
8. Do not create multiple accounts. - These will be banned and deleted without appeal.
9. No posting or linking to pirated / illegal content. - Discussion of piracy is fine, but linking to or uploading any pirated material is strictly disallowed.
10. Keep threads on-topic. - If you'd like to discuss something other than the thread topic with another member or members, please do so through PMs or in a new thread in the appropriate forum.
11. Do not create spam or nonsense discussion threads. - If you would like to discuss something not relevant to virtual reality or Oculus products, please do so in the Off-Topic category.
12. Do not reply to spam topics (but please do report them to an admin or moderator). - It makes it more difficult to clean up spam because mods / admins have to go through and manually delete the topics if there are replies to it.
13. Selling merchandise is not allowed. - Please do not attempt to sell your used Oculus hardware or any other products on the forums.
Breaking any of these rules may result in a warning or action taken against your Oculus Forums account, depending on severity. Admins and moderators reserve the right to delete threads and comments, as well as ban members, at their discretion.
Users on this forum can be either unverified or verified. New users start as unverified, and unverified users have every post inspected by the automatic spam filter. If the filter thinks a post might be spam, it gets put into a special queue for moderators or admins to check. Things like posting links to external sites or certain keywords can trigger the post being added to the spam queue. When the moderators or admins check the spam queue, they verify users with legit posts to prevent future posts from getting thrown in there.
If the forum is telling you a post has not yet been approved, please do not repost it. Moderators / admins have to manually verify each one in case they weren't all identical. Deleting posts on the forums is generally a last resort action. If a post or comment you made does not appear or has gone missing, it likely either:
If you encounter an issue with Rift, Rift S, or Oculus Link and want to report it to the Oculus engineering team, you can do so directly from the desktop app. Submitting feedback this way along with system info allows the Oculus engineering team to more quickly investigate bugs or issues. Reporting this way ensures your feedback goes directly to the software development team, who might otherwise miss your feedback if just left here on the forums.
You can utilize this functionality by navigating to Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software (bottom left corner of the app - pictured below).
PLEASE NOTE: This feedback is one way only. If you need assistance from the Oculus Support team please use the official support center at https://support.oculus.com/ where you can find helpful troubleshooting articles and/or submit a support ticket.
You can also report bugs from the mobile app and within headset from Quest devices by following the steps outlined here: https://ocul.us/reportabug
If you have an idea for a new Oculus product feature or a change you'd like to see with an existing feature, please leave your feedback in our Ideas board. Even if you don't have a new request, you can vote for ideas submitted by others. Our teams are always looking to better understand what our users want to see out of our products next, so please make your voice heard!
Questions often arise on the forums about how and when Oculus software updates roll out to users. While a bit too long to include in this post, we have assembled a list of frequently asked questions (https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/81413/oculus-software-releases-faq) with answers to help clear up some misconceptions. If you have an additional question regarding Oculus software updates, please be sure to ask it on that thread. We try to periodically update this list of Q&A's to help ensure that our users know how the software update process works.
Should you encounter an issue or have a question that requires you to contact Oculus Support, you can do so by heading to the following link: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/. Here, you can open up either an email or live chat support ticket. If you're facing a technical issue that you're trying to troubleshoot, our support agents will often ask for logs from your system to more deeply investigate the issue. In order to speed up the process, it never hurts to attach these logs to your initial support contact so that our team can review them immediately. In order to collect these logs, please do the following:
1. Open the run window (Windows key + R)
2. Enter and run: C:\program files\oculus\support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
3. Wait for the executable file to pop up
4. Select logs for the last 24 hours
5. Wait for the log collection to finish. It should pop up a Windows Explorer window at the location of your newly collected logs.
6. It automatically generates a zip file and copies the zip to the clipboard so you can paste it to your desktop
7. Attach this zip file to your next support response
If you encounter a problem on or with the forums, please send a DM to one of the following individuals:
Please note that the volunteer moderators are just that: volunteers. They are not officially affiliated with Oculus (beyond being users of these forums), but they help to enforce the forum rules and keep this a welcoming place for all. Please be especially nice to them! 🙂