cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v43 is starting to roll out. Let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting here if you notice anything going wrong.

Thanks to everyone testing out PTC and sharing your feedback! We appreciate your help testing out the core functionality of software as we develop!

137 Comments
ravensergio
Explorer

Hi. Meta Quest 2 via Airlink has really strange issues for me on the latest BETA (Quest2 firmware version 43.0.0.125.120.284218423). As soon as i updated and used Airlink which was working fine an hour before the update, I have unbearable double flinching image in Airlink when i move my head especially vertically. I cannot explain it better, but my eyes hurts in 2 minutes. Is like the image flinches quickly then stabilizes then again etc every time i move my head.
What I tried: lowering the resolution and the airlink connection to under 50 mbps, reinstalling Oculus software on PC, restarting PC/Quest 2 multiple times, restarted My 5ghz Asus router.. I should mention I had zero issues before the latest Q2 beta update, and I was using it fine 1 hour before the update. But now it destroys my eyes in max 2 minutes, unbearable. Oculus PC app is still on latest beta (Oculus App Version 42.0.0.136.285). As of now, I consider using Airlink a big NO, since it kinda ruins my eyes. I also sent a feedback thingie.

Fabrikanes
Honored Guest

I join your post. Exactly the same problem I had right after 43 updates, only I used Link (cable)

Darkcloud1982
Explorer

i have the same problem you described but with cable link. I tried to remove the PTC on the pc and reinstall the previous stable version but the problem persists. This problem started after updating the software on the headset to V43. On the pc the oculus software version is 42.0.0.136.285

barabba9174
Protege

Same issue for me. V43 both on the Quest 2 and on the PC App.

Using AirLink the imagine flickers when I move the head.

NizZ8
Protege

Same issue with Quest PTC V43 on Air/Link (Wired as well) with flickering (reprojections?) with any head movement.  Seems like it's almost a forced ASW mode or something. It happens in the oculus dashboard right upon connecting via Air/Link.  Tried resetting Air/Link Settings to default via OculusDebug tool along with a slew of other things that didn't work. To note what others have said everything was working fine before this PTC Update.  The Issue is more pronounced on higher refresh rates eg 120/90/80 and less noticeable at 72hz in my case.  I submitted a bug report as well.

ravensergio
Explorer

Thanks guys for confirming this, at least I know that is not on my side. I wish we had some changelog on what is touched in PTC, because that's the point right to report on stuff, but if you don't know what is changed/updated and what to test is kinda hard. I think on my next Q2 update if everything works I'll disable the PTC since it can break critical stuff and no way to rollback. Also I can't report stuff that it may be my fault ( Airlink for example can go wrong for so many reasons, user related or not) , if I don't know that that part was touched by the update.

Darkcloud1982
Explorer

I have disabled the PTC, now I cannot re-enter the channel because the maximum number of participants has been reached. Is there no way to go back to the previous version? 

ravensergio
Explorer

Sadly I don't think You can go back. As per this thread:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Announcements-and-Releases/Quest-Public-Test-Channel-PTC-Is-Rolling-O... 

"Currently, Oculus Quest software does not have the ability to roll back to a previous software version release. If you remove yourself from Quest PTC, your device will remain on the Quest PTC software version until the next Oculus public software version release."

Also there it mentions that PTC will only be available for a limited number of participants, so if u quit and  if the toggle is disabled, Quest PTC is currently full and not available to join. 

This means that You are basically stuck with the current installed version until a PUBLIC version is available for upgrade (that can be 2-3 weeks or maybe a month) . This is bad that you are stuck in the current Link-botched state. Maybe You can get your PTC spot back, check there often if one becomes available, cause the next PTC update that hopefully resolves this bug should  happen sooner than the public.

Darkcloud1982
Explorer

in the oculus software for windows if i disable the PTC it goes back to the previous version. I thought it was the same on the Quest. I had missed this step that does not come back. 😞 Fortunately I also have the Quest 1 at least I can use it to connect it to the PC, waiting for the public update

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Where is contrast setting & app filter setting?

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing! And for everyone else reporting the same stuttering issue. The team is working on this right now and will be pushing a fix as soon as possible.

NizZ8
Protege

I did the same thing unfortunately.  just got off with support chat and there isn't an escalation path to rejoin the Quest PTC.  The only hope we have is that shows up for us again in the Oculus Mobile app to join.  So we are basically screwed with this borked PTC build until the it get pushed into the next release channel.  Such a broken process when an issue like this comes up.

I switch between the Oculus Desktop PTC back and forth when trying to troubleshoot issues like this and didn't even think about not being able to rejoin it when flipping it off on the Quest 2 PTC.

NizZ8
Protege

As a temporary workaround to the flickering issue, i'm not seeing this issue at all while using Virtual Desktop. May be worth trying if you already have it setup.  Should note if you haven't used Virtual Desktop before it is an AirLink alternative and a paid app.

Streamer App (Runs on PC) - https://www.vrdesktop.net/

Quest App (Paid) - https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772/

ravensergio
Explorer

Yes 100% is a Link/Airlink issue i don't have it with Virtual Desktop, although AirLink is working for me much better ( the sharpness, the FOV tangent multiplier etcetc and overall the MBPS via Airlink I can bump it way up). But for now, i guess I can play Elite via VD untill is fixed, hopefully wont be long.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Yup, 43 is screwed up. Latency has gone berzerk.

I put in a report.

Not thinking, I reset the headset. Forgot that doesn't roll back the software.

Now I'm out of PTC and of course it's full now.

barabba9174
Protege

Now my Quest version is 43.0.0.132.120 and it looks much better than 43.0.0.125.120 (not perfect, but now it’s possible to play PCVR again via AirLink).

The PC app is the same version than yesterday (when I had problems): 43.0.0.127.173

ravensergio
Explorer

I can confirm, Quest 2 got an update (PTC channel) recently and I quickly hopped into Airlink to see if something changed, and everything seems to work like before, at least, or even better maybe ( I tested shortly just in Dash). Thank You devs for the fast hotfix and in weekend also.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

I have PTC access for Quest 1, but not for Quest 2. Whenever I check the phone app, it always says that the limit has been reached. Is access to PTC already decided when first recruited, and no one can get new after that? I want to access PTC of Quest 2. 😕

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

I'm trying since Friday to respond to @Ryanality but no acknowledgement.

Is the system down or something?

FoxyJoestar
Explorer

Unfamiliar with reporting bugs in the software for the Quest PCVR, so I'll mention it here.

Latest update that fixes the stuttering introduced a new bug where opening the dashboard can sometimes disconnect my right-hand controller, causing me to have to reinsert the battery and close the dash with my left hand. Also get the error popup saying that Airlink has disconnected, even though it's still connected. Restarting Oculus through services.msc and in-app still results in the same error. Haven't tried cable link, but I don't have a suitable cable length for testing that conveniently.

Windows 11 22H2 (22622.436)
Quest 1 - Airlink

32 GB RAM
RTX 3090

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Since I'm out of PTC, can I at least get flagged to receive the hotfix for PTC 43?

fiocco10
Explorer

Can you finaly add the button ON/OFF missing for Space Sense in v43 ? 🤔

Edit:

Finaly, now you can turn OFF Space Sence because smooth update in v42.
Go to Guardian then Roomscale and turn off this f%£à?&# Space Sense !

Say goodbye to all those horrible purple streaks in play.

vpamir
Explorer

Why did you remove the vertical fader option that was in v42? That was very cool and really useful for blending real world and the virtual home. It was a better solution than space sense. Please bring it back.

fiocco10
Explorer

Vertical fader option ? 🙄

vpamir
Explorer

There was a slider on the quick settings window (positioned on the upper right) which let adjusting the blending between virtual home and passthrough. The blending was adjusted vertically (virtual home at top, passthrough at bottom) so I called the feature as vertical fader. It's probably not the official name of the feature. It was very cool and useful. No idea why that was removed. It doesn't make any sense to remove useful features. I wish very much that they bring it back.

ravensergio
Explorer

I remember that. It was activating when I enabled the passthrough in home, there was a slider @ the brightness slider, so u could have bottom half passthrough and top vr etc.. Useful indeed, sad it is gone now.

vpamir
Explorer

Yep, that's it. It was better than space sense in some situations. I hope the team brings it back.

fiocco10
Explorer

they will only put back what is not useful 😂

pawelox123
Honored Guest

I love how they broke pcvr in v41 did nothing about it in v42 and broke it more in v43

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@pawelox123 wrote:

I love how they broke pcvr in v41 did nothing about it in v42 and broke it more in v43

With my Q2/rtx3090 I found that v41 was the best ever update with both Link and Air Link.  With v42 I found I needed to lower my dynamic bitrate with Air Link but it still worked well.  Also, v42 continues to work great with Link.  I guess I'll find out about non-beta v43 soon.

Darkcloud1982
Explorer

please let me go back to the PTC to install the fix. I'm still stuck with version 43.0.0.125.120 and can't use Link / Airlink  😔

barabba9174
Protege

Now I have the 43.0.0.167.120. The problem using AirLink is like the 43.0.0.132.120 (so… much better than 43.0.0.125.120, but not completely solved).

I noticed that it looks much slower to pass from controllers to hand tracking. 

SwooshStackz
Protege

My previous headset got ripped apart by

horrendous branding in the virtual environments,

those no longer have a use here.

Wtf happened to Light mode, or is this console exceptionally racial specific?

studlygoorite
Expert Protege

I couldn't find the release notes for v43 so I am posting here. Since updating I have had "many" random wired Link disconnects.

studlygoorite
Expert Protege

Since updating to v43 Link crashes (disconnects) several times an hour. Also, now I have terrible screen tearing that has made using Link impossible. Please fix this ASAP, I know others that are experiencing similar issues. Thanks

FYI, a friend that also had issues with v43 just quit the PTC and his headset and PC software rolled back to v42 and all is good with him. I would rather not leave the PTC so any info/acknowledgement about these issues would be nice.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Is Meta not managing the content? I don't see any reports of getting app filters or contrast adjustments at all. These are v41 & v42 features.

barabba9174
Protege

Please @Ryanality, we need change logs. To have a look to the new features, regressions and to understand when it’s time to check again after we discovered some issues on the previous version.
We should be much more useful!

SwooshStackz
Protege

How and why do I manually move the app library container?

fiocco10
Explorer

Could you finally add percentage to all the adjustment sliders ? because it is not easy to adjust with precision currently with -/+, please, thank you.

ChrizzyDizz
Explorer

Facing the same issues as most of you! Headset is stuck on v43 with severe glitching/tearing but only on left eye. 
100bucks wasted on buying a new USB 3.1 pci-e card after suggestions from Oculus support... 

PTC is full according to phone app and headset doesnt revert back to v42 - just the pc software. 
Oculus/meta should really concider allowing us users to downgrade firmware with a clausul that warranty is void if doing so. Lots of issues would be solved that way... Imagine if nvidia didnt let us install older drivers hahaha...

Yet they have the guts to raise the price of the headsets hahaha!! 

Only been issues since day 1 with Q2 😕

SwooshStackz
Protege

The App Library... Have a button that displays a search for all locale content,

And have a unlist option that hides the content,

Where the button refresh loads them in the mix again!

Do it, do it yesterday...

RipSnorting
Honored Guest

link cables do not work as intended anymore

ChrizzyDizz
Explorer

Is it to much to ask for when saying that we should get the oportunity to opt into PTC again if left it and to be able to downgrade to latest stable release? Not fun to be stuck on a version with serious issues without the ability to downgrade to v42 again which worked just fine.

Im here with a basically useless PCVR function 😕 

CutieMiku
Explorer

This last update v43 has serious performance issues...

Oculus bug CPU.PNG

Just have the oculus running without doing anything is consuming above 50% CPU usage.

My PC:

Windows 10 up to date

Intel i3 8100

GTX 1650

16GB RAM

5ephir0th
Explorer

Same here, v43 its just broken...

Draken3511
Explorer

ivanojeda5249_0-1660481538524.png

Alienware Aurora R12

i9-11900F

RTX 3800

64Gb RAM

Screenshot was taken when the Quest 2 was off...

Also, I'm getting a lot of Link disconnects. PCVR is unusable for me at moment.

This is how v42 shows in the same machine, same scenario:

ivanojeda5249_0-1660485688597.png

Seniorsjanten
Explorer

ocules.forbrug.png

Same isue here on:

Windows 10 pro
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700KF
32 gb ram
RTX 3060 TI

HMD connectet or not make no differens
I can't used it, it can't run the games properly 😕
plz fix

It was running great for a few days ago?
3-5 days maybe

pawelox123
Honored Guest

I just wonder how i got v43 without opting into ptc...

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Me too... on my quest 2.

Desktop-App is still at v42.

Precise:

- Version: 43.0.0.167.120.387708431
- Runtime: 43.0.0.167.120.387708528
- OS Vers: user-37314400736000000

Oculus-App-Version: 42.0.0.136.285

Ikadensi
Honored Guest

The V43 update is completely broken, the same thing for both LIVE and PTC. Massive CPU hit from just open the app and idling.

My specs:

Windows 10 21H2

i7-3770k (OC4.4GHz)

RAM 16GB

GTX 1070Ti OC

OS and app installed on SSDScreenshot (43).png