cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of July 11th, 2022.

Move 2.0

We’ve been listening to your suggestions to improve Move in order to make it easier to track your VR fitness progress. Last month, we began to roll out tracking and viewing your VR fitness stats on your phone. iOS users also had the option to sync with Apple Health. Today, we’re sharing a couple new improvements to Oculus Move:

• Earn Move Achievements for hitting your fitness goals. In the Move app, find the dedicated tab to track your fitness milestones, like 5000 calories burned or 100 daily goals completed, no matter what game or app you’re moving in.
  • Visualize your fitness progress compared to the previous week with Move Trends.
    • And for those interested in more fitness stats, check out your peak and average intensity (calories burned per minute).
  • If you haven’t used Move yet, learn more about Move and how it can help you track your VR fitness goals.

Messenger

While in VR, you can now see how many unread Messenger chats you have directly from the app icon.

Air Link

Air Link is moving out of the experimental settings panel and will now be available under system settings. We’ve also made the following improvements:

• We’ve added a Connection benchmarking tool to help understand and improve the quality of your wireless connection.
  • We’ve improved the UI to simplify the number of steps required to set up Link and Air Link.
  • Previously, we announced the beta release of Air Link Windows 11 compatibility. With this release, Air Link is now fully compatible with Windows 11.

Parental Supervision

We’ve added the ability for parents to enable and disable social features for any teens that they supervise. Turning on social feature supervision will prevent teens from:

• Creating and joining parties.
  • Visiting or watching VR content together in anyone's Meta Horizon Home.
  • Sending/receiving chat messages on Oculus Chat and Messenger in VR.
  • Posting on Facebook from the VR share option.

We’re also adding a new notification for when a teen ages out of a content rating.

Display Contrast

We’ve introduced a contrast slider to help improve overall visibility while in VR. This includes text, controls, backgrounds etc.

• You can adjust your display contrast from your Meta Quest headset by selecting Apps > Settings > Accessibility and then moving the slider to your desired contrast level.
87 Comments
MayaXx821
Honored Guest

Hello.

I'm having problems using the airlink in my Quest 2 after the update. In the previous version i had no problems connecting with my Laptop, but now when i try to connect the Oculus with my laptop, it stays in the loading screen indefinitely. I tried to connect many times but the Oculus stays in the loading screen (in the desktop app it says that the Oculus is Active).

5ephir0th
Explorer

Will contrast slider works for apps, games and over PCVR link? Or is like color space that only work on the standalone home?

NorbertNoBacon
Protege

There were issues with AirLink on v41 with lag and stuttering, so was really hoping they'd fixed it. Are both the desktop app and Quest 2 updated to v42? I sometimes find one gets the update before the other and this could cause problems if there are significant changes. I usually wait for the PC app to update and then update the Quest 2 afterwards. However, it wouldn't be a surprise if they managed to somehow break it again. Seems par the course with these developers, too much rushing to get features out without proper bug testing and quality control. They also need to also update the link UI so it has some parity with the native Quest UI. It's not only dated, but missing some really basic features like switching between party and app chat.

TaaberMan
Explorer

Not fixed in quest 2 v42 and oculus pc v41. Test here. Same stutter and lag. Waitting pc versio to update 42 if that not works im gonna burn these headset in my back yard.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

No contrast setting. Before that, I don't have app filter setting of v41. lol

Recluse205
Protege

Interestingly, I seem to have gotten these updates but the Software Version still reports 41.  One thing that persists (which is the most ANNOYING UI THING) is that when the Quest LINK popup comes up and says "CLICK HERE FOR QUICK SETTINGS" clicking THERE DOESN'T take you to QUICK settings.  You have to ignore that and click on the ACTUAL QUICK SETTINGS icon where the clock is. It would be a nice Quality of Life update to FIX THIS and either let the click open the QUICK SETTINGS or remove the line on the popup. I know better than to click it by now, but it always annoys me  🙂

BubblzZz
Protege

Constant and unpredictable stutter, frame hitching and lag with Airlink since v40 +, despite the performance monitor showing steady frames. Is this ever going to be addressed? New software updates always seem to break more than they fix.   

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The team is working on some improvements with Air Link connections. There's also an open issue here which suggests changing the dynamic frame rate. You may want to try that if you haven't yet.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Installed latest update, but version number is 41.0.0.124.268. PC app version is 42.0.0.136.285 (PTC).

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@tanubon  I suspect, like me, your Quest is still on v41.  Seems like a few v42 features were rolled out yesterday (Air Link and messenger) but I don't think this is a full v42 update because for me there was no required restart that is normally required for major updates.  Up to you but I suggest you opt out of the oculus desktop pc app public beta and stick with non-beta v41 for now.  Cheers.

Koldsmith
Honored Guest

Update installed, now my headset won't charge while in use.
I've tried using the official supplied charging cable and official plug as well as other charging cables, powerbanks and other plugs.
Thanks for ruining my headset Oculus.

Cythkato
Explorer

Using Airlink on Quest 2 v42 with desktop app v42.0.0.136.285 at 72hz 1.3x resolution on Windows 11, about once every 10 to 30 seconds I was getting a noticeable stutter with artifacting that sometimes looked like screen tearing or sometimes like a flashing pattern, mostly along the right half of my view.  This was pretty easily noticeable while viewing desktop, and maybe a bit less noticeable while playing games.  Had never noticed this issue before.

Resolved by disabling Mobile ASW in Oculus Debug Tool.  I left (PC) Asynchronous Spacewarp enabled.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Cythkato  I found the same thing back with v40 and also needed to disable mobile ASW.  Since v41 I’ve found leaving it on Auto works fine.  I think that Meta needs to do a bit more work on that feature.

S-queeze22
Honored Guest

The airlink almost doesn't work for me after the update. Before it was very smooth. Now with new feature it says "poor quality" in airlink menu and when I connect to my PC it seems that the frame rate is about just 2fps, I can't even move the controller and click on something. PC is on Win 10.

Recluse205
Protege

I don't know if this will help.  I am getting the same poor quality warnings, (70 ms latency) but AIRLINK seems to work OK for me.  I usually use the LINK Cable and use either the DEBUG tool or Oculus Tray Tool to set my ENCODE BITRATE higher (300-450).  If I try to use AIRLINK under these conditions, it stutters and lags and I can barely even access any menu items.  When I decide to use AIRLINK, I always go in and change my ENCODE BITRATE to 0 (the default, which, I believe is somewhere between 100 and 150). I could jump in and run Elite Dangerous over AirLink  relatively smoothly, I think it is a little more laggy than it used to be especially inside a station, but not too bad. By the way, in the Headset, I have AIRLINK set to Dynamic Bitrate between 10 and 185 Mbps

Coffinmaker22
Honored Guest

How do I get v42 on my quest 2

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

What? My quest2 is back to the previous form on the same version (41.0.0.124.268). Air Link (Quest Link) has returned from system to experimental. What was happened? 😩

xShadeaux
Protege

I have looked and looked. There is no contrast slider under apps/setting/accessibility.

Accessibility isn’t even under “apps” anywhere.

Even your patch notes are bugged.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW, Horizon Worlds App is still bugged for a lot of people, too. Freezes on “preparing for visitors”…Quest and PC version…so obviously an account issue.  Horizon Events loads, but if you try to jump to personal space, same bug happens. Ask your offshore devs if they know what a debug statement is for…there can’t be that many things that happen during that part of the loading process.  Please address. Unacceptable. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

OK, I got v42 on my Q2/rtx3090 today and it all seems to work fine standalone and Air Link with my Oculus, Steam, and VivePort games.  I still have not seen the personalisation option to change how apps are displayed and I don't see the Contrast option.  I guess these will eventually get rolled out to me.

Air Link seems a little better and it now tells me that my connection is fine.  I still don't believe the reported network latency from the system/quest link page.  So far I've seen anything from 1.5ms up to 300ms.  Main thing is that it seems to work fine and maybe a 2-3ms less latency, but still +5-8ms more than I got before with v40.  I tried the oculus desktop app public beta (v42) but this actually was another 5ms worse so I rolled back to non-beta v41 and will stick with that for now.

Anyway, so far so good I guess. 

huliqan
Adventurer

Why for wired-Link now I need Wi-Fi connection ? What a hell added to "Quest Link" in System menu ?

HansWursT619
Explorer

I have the same issue. It should be possible to use wired Quest Link without a Wifi connection.

RodioR
Honored Guest

Agreed. We have a lot of events, where we would like to show our software with Oculus, but if we need wifi for it, that is usually a big blocker, sometimes even a no-go

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@RodioR  I guess you could try using your smartphone's wifi hotspot to get it going.  After you're connected you should then be able to go off line if you are just using stored games that do not require wifi access.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Some people reporting Link back to experimental from system like me. What is happening? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

At home since 42.0, a router is no longer necessary for the Airlink connection in Wifi 5-6.

You confirm ?

Hombresinombre
Explorer

Since update I am not able to connect the Quest 2 to the PC using Wired Link. In the Occulus aplication in my PC all looks fine and I can even see the files from the explorer in windows, but in the quick settings menu in the headset, the option to connect with Link won't appear.

This is a major bug for our company since we used it to connect the headset to Unity and test our apps. Any solution?

huliqan
Adventurer

to Muzyca

it is wrong! In 42 Home I need now wi-fi too! And it works even HMD connected to smartphone without internet !!!)))

huliqan
Adventurer

Newly my Quest2 updated to 42.130 and wi-fi issue fixed now!!! 

Wired Link now works without Wi-Fi connection !

RodioR
Honored Guest

thanks for info! Now we just need to wait to get the update (not everyone gets it at the same time)

chriscath666
Explorer

Is there an open issue too  for the bad performance stutter/lag from pc link since update v41

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@chriscath666  I normally use Air Link with my Q2/rtx3090 and this seems to be working fine with v42 (still v41 on desktop pc app though).  I did seem to need to drop my Air Link bitrate down to 150mbps, Dynamic in order to minimise latency.  Everything still works very well.

I tried Link yesterday with v42 and it also worked great.  I found 350mbps bitrate (in ODT) worked best for me.  Overall a bit better distant visuals and completely stutter-free, without any screen tearing, no matter how fast I turned in games/sims.  Also, overall latency with all my games/sims was pretty well consistently 10ms lower than with Air Link (40-50ms vs 50-60ms).  I still prefer the freedom of wireless with Air Link though.

I was pleasantly surprised that after initially pairing my headset with Air Link, then going to Link, and then going back to Air Link I did not need to pair the headset again like I've normally needed to do.  Also, I tested out and found that Link worked fine without wifi, although this is not what I normally worry about.  Just note that if you disable Link in the system settings link menu and then enable it again, you'll need to pair it again.

The main 2x things I still seem to be missing with v42 are the personalisation settings to allow you to select a default for how your apps are presented in your app panel and also missing is the Display Contrast option.  Maybe these are still being rolled out?  I also have not seen the desktop non-beta v42 update.  Probably not going to happen until v42 on the Quest is rolled out to all.

The new system settings for Quest Link that gives you a performance output for Air Link is interesting but I think it's still work in progress.  The network latency it displays for me still varies from 1ms to 300ms and I know my actual network latency is more like 4ms (from Virtual Desktop stats).  Also, since yesterday's mini v42 update (42.0.0.130.250) it now says my Ethernet connection is N/A when I know it's fine.  Also, the network latency has a N/A designation.  It all works fine so maybe as work in progress N/A means currently not available?

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

I got v42 on "Quest1". Air Link works very strangely. Bitrate doesn't reach more than 25Mbps on dynamic bitrate 200Mbps. And if I use higher bitrate on fixed bitrate, it makes lag. WTF.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@tanubon  Your Q1/Air Link results sounds like it may be caused by problem(s) with your router settings.  Make sure you are using a dedicated 5Ghz channel (I use ch36) and disable 2.4/5Ghz band steering.  Also check your 5Ghz bandwidth is set at 80Hz.  You probably should be using the Oculus desktop pc app non-beta (v41) as well and initially set all your ODT settings to defaults/zeros/auto to begin with.

With your Q1 you may also want to try using Virtual Desktop.  I found I got better results with my old (now retired) Q1 with VD compared to Air Link.  Plus you can get some good performance numbers using it to try to hone in on your problem(s).  Good luck mate and cheers.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Oops, I forgot to change to 5Ghz. Wait, still almost the same on 5Ghz. No lag, though. In the first place, there is a problem that the bitrate of dynamic bitrate stays low since v41. Not only on Quest1. 200Mbps dynamic bitrate, but it often goes below 100Mbps & around 120-130Mbps basically on Quest2. Before v41, there wasn't such a problem. Average bitrate was much higher.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@tanubon  Ya, Air Link Dynamic bitrates are lower, like you said, since v41.  I get about the same values as you and I've now found that if I set my dynamic above 150mbps I start to pick up more latency and lost frames.  So, for now I've set it to 150mbps dynamic and this seems to work fine for now.  I tried a number of fixed bitrates (between 70-200) but these seemed to create more stutter, especially with SteamVR.  I think that this is a problem that Meta should have addressed prior to taking Air Link out of experimental.  I filed a bug report back in v41 but nothing seems to have been done to fix this.  Maybe you can file another one for v42.  Cheers.

TaaberMan
Explorer

Screenshot_20220716-134612_Gallery.jpg

 The spike. The lag. The stutter is here and stays. I have done everything what posible can do and nothing change. Oculus killer tool, uninstall/install, just spend 100€ for router wifi6, used link cable, nvidia drivers, ext. Ext. Ext. That spike comes.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ynBz_zY-6ao?feature=share 

Clarification. AirLink 10mb - 200mb bitrate dynamic or stable tested. Virtual Desktop tested. Link cable 2.8Gbps tested. PC Oculus soft 42.0.0.136. Quest 2 soft 41.0.0.124. No update for now in finland to v42.

And in the video what i uploaded, i only looking at SteamVr desk. Nothing runs a backround even. Steamvr 1.23.6

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@TaaberMan   Maybe try opting out of the oculus desktop pc app public beta and go back to non-beta v41.  It seems to work better for me.  Lower latency and fewer stutters, even with my Q2 on v42.

TaaberMan
Explorer

Allright. I just uninstalled oculus pc soft. Clean registery. Install oculus. But, when istalling is finnish, coulpe seconds the software updates itself and the versio goes 42. Very end of installing i checked the versio was 41. This "spike" i have on versio 41 too. About month ago when i bought quest 2 and the versio 41 just come out, this spike every sens. I have been contact with Amanda Watson VR Software Engineer on Meta and trying to solve this Major problem what it seems to be lots of people having. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@TaaberMan  I read that another person found that if you disable gpu scaling in ODT that this prevents these spikes.  You need to redo this after every restart though.  Also disable mobile asw option.

ozef.torrente
Honored Guest

when it will be available for other users? I'm still using version 41

Dadbart
Protege

Yes, my Windows 11 has been working fine since v41. However, after my HMD updated to 42 yesterday I noticed my Wi-Fi was reporting TX-RX at 866 instead of the normal 1200 I had right before the update. It's as though it is no longer connecting at Wifi6. Restarted and disconnected-reconnected several times. Anyone else seeing this with 42?

Where is the connection benchmarking tool? Settings or in the Airlink environment somewhere?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Dadbart  I think v42 Air Link reporting is still work in progress so you may want to ignore some of its info for now, especially if it’s working ok.  If you go to your normal home quick settings WiFi, select your connection and scroll down to advanced it should give you your WiFi speed.  Mine with a WiFi 5 router correctly shows 866mbps.

Dadbart
Protege

@TomCgcmfc Thanks for trying, but this has nothing to do with Airlink. The Wi-Fi settings, Advanced is reporting 866 now instead of the 1200 it should be. I am on Wi-Fi 6. It showed 1200 just moments before the update and now since the update it is reporting 866, still a day later. That seems to indicate it is no longer connecting at Wi-Fi 6. I have rebooted the router and tested with a couple of other devices that can connect at that rate. The other devices are still showing 1200 TX-RX. Something happened with the v42 update.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Dadbart  Ya, like I said, there seems to be a problem with WIFI/network reporting since v42.  Fortunately it does not seem to effect Air Link performance.  I guess this will be fixed soon along with better bitrates and less lags, lol!

You can check your router settings while you are connected to your Q2 (standalone or with Air Link) and see what it is reporting.  For me, with WIFI 5 it is correctly reporting 866mbps.  As long as you are at least 866mbps I don't think this has any effect on Air Link performance anyway.

You could also try running Virtual Desktop (Quest store version) and see what it reports.  I've used VD for a long time and it seems to have pretty reliable performance reporting.  I still prefer Air Link though.

pilot140
Explorer

I wish they would allow you to remove Move from an account loaded it and it's not for me, but I cannot

uninstall it, I did stop the data but would like it gone.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@pilot140  It does not take much storage or resources.  Same goes with other Oculus apps like Browser. So why worry about it imho.

loSvelto
Explorer

still stuttering with both on V42. Just updated and restarted. There are small random stutters which make simracing an annoying experience 😞
on Windows 10 with latest NVidia drivers

Dadbart
Protege

Yeah, VD is what tipped off first. It had always reported 1200, and then right after update reported 866. That's when I started the other trouble shooting and stat checking.

maloiik
Honored Guest

After updating to v42 both on my headset and my PC, now i have to restart BOTH to actually get an AirLink connection going. Everything was working smoothly before.

You are forcing software updates on us that are half baked and badly tested for quality. How could i possibly keep trust in Meta and their future headsets, when such fundamental features of the software refuse to work correctly?

What a **bleep** show

BubblzZz
Protege

With both my PC and Headset on V42 now, Airlink has much improved. 120hz finally works again without constant stutter and glitching.....but now regular cabled link is totally broken. Sigh. Constantly disconnecting, stutter and glitching...Fixing one thing always seems to break something else. Oculus PCVR software is so unreliable that I'm considering just buying a Valve Index at this point.