cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Quest Public Test Channel (PTC) is an early access program for Oculus Quest software releases. By signing up, you can get early access to the unreleased software version ahead of the public release. To learn more about Oculus Quest PTC check out the support page.

To sign up for Quest PTC follow these steps:

1. Make sure your Oculus Mobile app is v136 or later.
  2. From the Oculus mobile app, tap Devices at the bottom right.
  3. Under Headset Settings, tap Advanced Settings.
  4. Tap the toggle next to Public Test Channel to try to join Quest PTC.

Please note: 

• Quest PTC will only be available for a limited number of participants, if the toggle is disabled, Quest PTC is currently full and not available to join.
  • Quest PTC is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. We currently do not have a waitlist, so please check back at a later time if you’re unable to sign up.
  • Currently, Oculus Quest software does not have the ability to roll back to a previous software version release. If you remove yourself from Quest PTC, your device will remain on the Quest PTC software version until the next Oculus public software version release.
12 Comments
nalex66
MVP
MVP

Awesome, just updated my phone app and signed up.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I updated my Q2 to v35ptc a couple of days ago.  Easy to do with Ryan's very good instructions.  It's great that Ryan has now opened this thread to public posting.   I hope that only actual users of the Quest PTC use this thread for discussion purposes (not rants).  It's not clear to me whether or not Q1 users can also enrol into this ptc program?  I've loaned my Q1 (and official link cable) to a flight sim mate and he's very happy with it using xp11 and af fs2.  So, I doubt I'll ever see it again, lol!  I did pickup a new Link cable as a backup for Air Link (which I'm now mainly using) while AL is still experimental.  I got the new VR Cover 5m premium link cable and it works very well.

It probably gets a bit confusing as to whether someone is talking about the Quest v## versus the Oculus desktop app v##.  I may try to call them something like Qv35ptc and PCv35ptc to help differentiate these. 

I haven't noticed very many differences so far with Qv35ptc. A new Accounts settings panel that I guess makes it easier to setup multiple accounts sharing. I have not seen any cloud save features yet.  I think that these are intended to show up in a Files app.  Maybe these will be added soon since it would be nice to be able to save game settings/saves, esp. if a factory reset is ever necessary.  I seem to need to do a factory reset with my Q2 every 2-3 months, lol!

My stationary guardian and double-tap passthrough with Qv35ptc seems to work fine, without any gridlines.  The blue (default) floor circle seems to pop up a little more than it used to.  Not sure why?  Seems to happen if one of my controllers is out of view of my headset for a short period of time.

Also noticed with Link and Air Link that pass though works fine again, without scaling problems with previous Qv34 and PCv34. 

I'm now on PCv35ptc on my Oculus PC desktop app btw mainly because PCv34 final has re-introduced shutdown problems with X Plane 11, while PCv35ptc shuts it down fine. 

It would be nice if Ryan could list Qv35ptc and PCv35ptc release notes and maybe what's planned for additional updates to this.  I understand that Oculus is planning on making both v35 versions (Q and PC) final before year end.

Also, while I see that there is no way to roll back Qv35ptc I'd guess that a factory reset may accomplish this.  Hopefully I will not need to find out any time soon, lol!  Cheers mates.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

The one thing that I've noticed with v35 is that it fixes the problem I was having v34, where my headset would shut down a couple seconds after starting it up. It was consistently doing that on the first startup after being in standby for a length of time, but not on subsequent restarts. I haven't heard anyone else mention that problem, so maybe it was just me.

Edit: I spoke too soon, my headset is doing the abrupt shutdowns again.

I still don't have Stationary Guardian 2.0 back after it left Experimental Features to become a full release feature, but hopefully it will return soon. I hate seeing the grid whenever I move my controllers.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey TomCgcmfc, some great questions in there.

First the easy one, yes the PTC is open for Quest 1 owners as well.

I'm working with the team right now on the release note side. Sometimes there are going to be features which will be in the new software which won't be announced, but I'm pushing for a release notes page for at least the Quest software of each release with at least some things and maybe known issues. 

Ideally, we'll have that page posted in here and everyone can put in feedback for that particular release on its notes page. And yes, this board's topics will stay open for new replies, though only staff can make new threads here. 

And on the factory reset front, from what I've heard a factory reset won't remove the PTC software, it'll just reinstall that PTC software fresh, which is why they're making it pretty clear from the start that there's no going back. You can turn off PTC, but until the software you've got installed on the headset moves to it's full release, you'd still be on the PTC software.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

-snip-

...Moved my comment to the feedback thread.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, I opened up a separate topic for PTC v35 feedback, let's post in there for the specific release. I'll spin up new ones for each release in the future, that way we can keep it all focused, and this thread can be more generic about PTC. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Ryanality Great idea mate.  Like @nalex66 , please move my comments over to this as well.  Thanks.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Because your post has an earlier time stamp than the first post, I'm worried about outright moving it. Would you mind just copying it over when you have a chance and I can edit this one if you can't anymore?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Ryanality  Done mate, cheers.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks! There were some good questions in your post too that I didn't want to lose from this thread as well 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Full...

I did see it once, but when I went back, it was gone.

This may have been covered but does the dev mode or crash report toggle have anything to do with this?

And how do I hide the dev option after activating from the phone app.

I toggled it there, but I saw no use for, not enough features yet.

I can't imagine how much time this stuff takes to construct, but you can count on me to be on the look out!

weenan
Protege

So I just received an update to the V35 ptc, anyone know what´s new or fixed in it?
(I´m talking about an update to my system that was already running V35)
I really think a changelog should be released with the updates so we know what to look for when testing it out. Isn´t that what a ptc is about?