cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift audio interface - how many audio channels does it support? Is a 2.1 configuration possible?

es_Virsabi
Honored Guest
Hi all,
I'm working on a VR experience that will also use haptic feedback (a Buttkicker transducer) in Unreal engine, and I want to have the haptic feedback being controlled by the LFE (subwoofer) channel and not by all the sound from the (front) left and right channels. This works fine while using the integrated sound card (Realtek, supports 5.1 surround) and the haptic feedback plays as it should on the .1 (LFE) channel. While mirroring the Rift's audio to the integrated sound card, the LFE channel is not being played, but the front left and right are being mirrored correctly. Does the mirrored audio from the Rift then, not deliver more than 2.0 stereo out?

Also, does anyone here have any suggestions for configuring the Rift with a 2.1 audio output for driving a transducer device, or perhaps an external subwoofer on the .1 channel?
Note that I'm not looking for a system where all audio is passed to the transducer, as it will not result in a very well controlled haptic experience. I could also just use other headphones than those on the Rift with the computer's soundcard, but the client prefers to use the integrated headphones to make the installation easier to manage. 

Thanks!
Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Petroza
Heroic Explorer
Hi Erik,

The mirroring feature will just copy over the left and right channels as you have noticed. There is no ability to drive the LFE channel with mirroring at the moment.

I think your best bet would be looking at the sound card/driver/OS options to see if they have an option to generate LFE channel from stereo. Googling around there is a "speaker fill" option that might do what you want. I haven't tried this myself but I that might a possible solution.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Petroza
Heroic Explorer
Hi Erik,

The mirroring feature will just copy over the left and right channels as you have noticed. There is no ability to drive the LFE channel with mirroring at the moment.

I think your best bet would be looking at the sound card/driver/OS options to see if they have an option to generate LFE channel from stereo. Googling around there is a "speaker fill" option that might do what you want. I haven't tried this myself but I that might a possible solution.