Matt Conte - Developer Relations Engineering Lead

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, I’m Matt Conte, and I
run our Developer Relations Engineering team at Oculus HQ in California. My
team works closely with VR developers on a variety of aspects from performance
analysis to VR design guidance. I came from the games industry, where I started
writing GameBoy Color games in Z80 assembly. Most recently, I worked as an
architect and principal engineer on Activision's cross-platform engine technology,
helping ship games on iOS all the way up through PS4.

I like classic video games,
I’ve written several console emulators, and I own Centipede and Q*bert arcade
machines. @!#?@!

Ask me anything!

Twitter: @mattconte

Reminder: There may be a slight delay from when you send your comment to when you see it in the thread. Don't worry! We've received your question.

52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there, #slashwoo5ever

1. a) The core of any team's success is the talent, and we have an amazing recruiting team here at Oculus that goes above and beyond to find the best around. b) We're all super passionate about games and VR. c) We have a lot of fun, and even when we've got a ton of work in front of us, we pull together as a team.
  2. Life is a party, where's your hat?

casey_kawamura
Explorer
When you build to the device, do you have to have dev store permission? Can I completely prototype or develop my entire program before I need to apply for the store?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Lemming, this is a really great question, and one that's super important to me. One of the most compelling aspects of virtual reality is that it allows designers to peel away layers of manufactured interaction idioms that have been developed over the years, for much more natural ones. For example, rather than clicking a mouse to open a menu to look at some health stats, you can just look at your watch on your wrist in VR. In a modeling tool, rather than selecting an extrusion tool from a toolbox of square icons, you can just go and grab the tool. I think there will be some level of skeuomorphism that continues, like using laser pointers to select menu items which are just floating panels in 3D space, over time as designers build a better language for interactions, we'll see a lot of these things falling away in favor of more immersive one

Anonymous
Not applicable
Greetings, Mohammed_hashim! Oculus Quest has 4 gold cores and 4 silver cores, plus a DSP. The system reserves all the silvers and the DSP for tracking and other system services, and 1 gold core for Asynchronous TimeWarp and the compositor. You have full access to the remaining 3 gold cores.

More info here: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/down-the-rabbit-hole-w-oculus-quest-the-hardware-software/

RantingBob
Explorer
Follow on question.

Socks, best consumed in the form of Quesadilla or Stew?

RantingBob
Explorer
Oh....also...is a Hot Dog a sandwhich, or a Taco?

Mohammed_hashim
Expert Protege

mconte said:

Greetings, Mohammed_hashim! Oculus Quest has 4 gold cores and 4 silver cores, plus a DSP. The system reserves all the silvers and the DSP for tracking and other system services, and 1 gold core for Asynchronous TimeWarp and the compositor. You have full access to the remaining 3 gold cores.

More info here: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/down-the-rabbit-hole-w-oculus-quest-the-hardware-software/

Thanks for the great info, I couldn't find any info regarding GearVR/Go, any chance you know about GearVR/go too? Does Tiemwrap use a separate core there too?  

And my 3rd last question will be, will I get more drawcalls if I use "Foveated Rendering"?

RantingBob
Explorer
hkq4j5q1agdv.gif

Is your spoon too big?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Charlesvarmint, how do you do? Oculus has been deeply involved in the OpenXR process, and we plan on supporting it across all of our devices moving forward. We hope that this will simplify the developer story (and make our lives easier as well!). I don't have anything about the second component i can talk about at this moment.

Schneider21
Expert Protege
Hey, Matt! Hope I'm not too late throwing a question in.

Can't wait to get my hands on a Quest later this month. I asked something similar when Chris did his AMA, but wanted to see if the situation has changed any since then. I currently have a MacBook Pro for my home computer and a decent-but-not-VR-ready PC for work.

Is there any chance of a toolset to allow easier development for the Quest/Go without owning a Rift? Currently, building to the device each time I make a little change I want to test is extremely tedious, especially with the long shader variant compiling Unity seems to want to do these days.

Something like the Android remote feature where I can stream the game to the headset from Play mode and receive Touch input? Even if it's low-res and laggy, it'd save me tons of time.