cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oldest game that supports VR?

SergMatrix
Protege
i know that Doom (1993) with some tweaks supports vr, and Zaxxon (1982) arcade version in Dolphin emulator supports it. Somebody knows  games older  than that? - comment below
19 REPLIES 19

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Here's an bit of info/history.  Not sure how accurate it is though, lol!
https://www.vrs.org.uk/virtual-reality/history.html

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

SergMatrix
Protege
yeah everyone knows that simple vr history - and "Sword of Damocles"  is AR not VR (that piece was written by layman).
First vr invented in 1985

kojack
MVP
MVP
Do you mean Zaxxon 3D from 1987? That one supported the SegaScope 3D glasses (which weren't VR, just active lcd shutter glasses with a normal tv).
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Sega's (Namco?) Periscope arcade game from 1965 could sort of be described as a kind of VR, although mechanical rather than video.

If you're looking for oldest gamer I may or may not pre-date Periscope.

ohgrant
Superstar
 I guess it all depends on your definition of VR. This is what constituted a full VR HMD in 91   
 Theoretically all games that are accelerated opengl or DX work in 3D. I've played as old as Star Fleet Academy DX5. The X-Wing and Tie Windows 95 versions in 3D. 
 I was an early adopter of the Emagine Z800 which had 3dgof. What made a good VR game back then was if the movements could be mapped to controller. It was great for most fps and RPG's I played HL-2, Far Cry, Doom 3 ,FEAR....so many more games for the first time with my Z800. 
 Before that there was Virtual Boy. You can get an emulator for the Quest , with sidequest,and play those.
 I somehow missed the original HL and I'm now playing it causally in VR on the Quest.  

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

kojack
MVP
MVP
The first VR game I ever played was the Dactyl Nightmare on the Virtuality.

The earliest PC game that I remember off the top of my head that had VR support was Descent 2 (for the Forte VFX1 headset). Although looking at the details now, only the demo had native VFX1 support, the full game needed a patch.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

SergMatrix
Protege

kojack said:

Do you mean Zaxxon 3D from 1987? That one supported the SegaScope 3D glasses (which weren't VR, just active lcd shutter glasses with a normal tv).

no i mean arcade 2d game Zaxxon from 1982 that can be played in vr through dolphin VR emulator  cause game was released in nintendo virtual console. very surreal to play 2d game in vr

SergMatrix
Protege

ohgrant said:
 I somehow missed the original HL and I'm now playing it causally in VR on the Quest.  

i know that you can play HL1 in VR  and HL2 is recently had mod for vr

Anonymous
Not applicable

ohgrant said:

i know that you can play HL1 in VR (if latest oculus update didnt kill it - it kills many old games  that was playable 2 years ago), and HL2 is recently had mod for vr

Half Life 1 VR Mod still works fine, I'm playing it before I play Alyx.