cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use Oculus Rift on my iMac?

OldenhofFrajou
Level 2
Oculus Rift works fine on my Windows PC.
I also have a Apple iMac.
Can I install Oculus on that PC?
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

LZoltowski
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Macs are not officially supported at the moment, most of them do not meet the minimum requirements.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

View solution in original post

lord_of_shred
Level 5
Depends on the hardware inside your iMac. But generally speaking no. There is no Oculus runtime for MacOS so far. (Also most Macs don't have enough GPU horsepower to drive HMDs). 
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-use-vr-on-mac-3640213/
Check out this article. Even if you have the power in your Mac, all the hassle seems not worth it if you've got a windows machine that works.

JaimieVandenber
Level 7
The only Macs with enough GPU are the new iMac Pro and the very old 'cheesegrater' Mac Pro with a modern GPU and a USB3 card in. Even then, in order to use them with Oculus Rift you'll need to install a BootCamp Windows because there are only Windows drivers for Rift.

cybereality
Level 15
No, Mac and OS X are not supported at all.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

4 REPLIES 4

LZoltowski
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Macs are not officially supported at the moment, most of them do not meet the minimum requirements.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

lord_of_shred
Level 5
Depends on the hardware inside your iMac. But generally speaking no. There is no Oculus runtime for MacOS so far. (Also most Macs don't have enough GPU horsepower to drive HMDs). 
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-use-vr-on-mac-3640213/
Check out this article. Even if you have the power in your Mac, all the hassle seems not worth it if you've got a windows machine that works.

JaimieVandenber
Level 7
The only Macs with enough GPU are the new iMac Pro and the very old 'cheesegrater' Mac Pro with a modern GPU and a USB3 card in. Even then, in order to use them with Oculus Rift you'll need to install a BootCamp Windows because there are only Windows drivers for Rift.

cybereality
Level 15
No, Mac and OS X are not supported at all.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV