cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centering the image in 3D (online) video 180° in any position -- does not work! (Quest2/GO)

Baum_Maum
Expert Protege

The problem is that it is not possible to center 180° 3D (online) video images on the floor or ceiling of the room.

Image centering (by holding the button on the controller or menu) 3D video 180° is possible only in a circle (horizontal axis). Centering the image along the vertical axis in 3D video 180° --- is not possible at all!!

Tried through Meta Quest Browser, Firefox Reality, YouTube VR...
On Oculus GO, this worked only in GizmoVR (the built-in browser), but for Quest 2, this application is not available in the store.

Why is it so difficult to do this? (question to developers)

30 REPLIES 30

chnzhe
Honored Guest

I have the same problem as you, there is a problem with online 180 video playback! hope this bug is fixed

Baum_Maum
Expert Protege

Any sane response from the representative of the Oculus will be? (on the issue above)

I corresponded with Oculus support for several days –– no guarantees that Oculus knows about this problem and will fix it in the future –– they did not tell me.

TheLegend27
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

None of the Oculus apps on Quest 2 allow for re-centering or adjusting on the vertical axis in 180/360 VR videos. As for why this is the case, I can only assume it would be because of the motion sickness it could potentially inflict on users. That being said, there are a few third-party VR video players you can try that, as far as I know, have the ability to adjust on the vertical axis.

One of them is free, so you can test that one out with no repercussions. As long as you don't go over the 2 hour play limit and/or 14 day return period, you'll, at worst, have to deal with waiting for the funds to return to the card if either of those two don't work out.

Hope this helps!

Technology, at a certain level of sophistication, is indistinguishable from magic. - some wise guy or something probably

I'd like to see a universal solution for using VR in a reclined position. The built-in video player would really benefit from having a vertical tilt adjustment.

I use skybox a lot and that's great for regular off-line movies and it also allows for tilting 360 movies, although the ability to drag would be nicer than going into a menu and adjusting tilt.  The YouTube app allows for non-VR movies to be dragged anywhere but 360 movies are only adjustable horizontally. Perhaps devs don't realize how often the headsets are used in bed to movie watch, or reclined on a couch.

Thinking about it, vertical drag may not be a good idea for movies as you'll accidentally move a movie vertically at times when you just want to move it horizontally, but tilt adjust in the menu would be good.

Some websites seem to use their own player that includes vertical tilt and in one case that I've tested, that's indicated by a 'Go VR' icon that you click on, instead of hitting the usual full-screen icon, you're then using a different player that has vertical tilt available in the options (again though, no drag).

Even in non-movie use, vertical tilt could be a little better implemented, If you reset your view so the Quest menus are in a comfortable position, then go into and out of an app, the menus reset to the default horizontal position, which is a little annoying.

If the built-in player included a tilt option, that would be ideal.

Don't need Quest 2 allow for re-centering or adjusting on the vertical axis in 180/360 VR videos. Need Meta Quest Browser play 180VR video correctly

The thread and the original post is about positioning videos off the horizontal circle, i.e. vertical tilt.

What problem are you having? you'll need to describe the issue.

What you suggest is not working.
I'm talking about online 3D video 180°, not about opening files from a PC or NAS.

DeoVR Video Player could not open any online video in 3D at all. Just the video plays in a mini-window and without the ability to open to full screen.

SKYBOX VR Video Player --- are you sure it can open online video from the same Youtube? //I didn't find.....

Are you sure that Youtube will work in Pigasus VR Media Player?

Again.....
As an options --- just need to add tilt adjustment on the vertical axis in any 3D online video. And everything...

Baum_Maum
Expert Protege

Question to the software developers - when will this be fixed/added as an option?

Baum_Maum
Expert Protege

Relevant today…