cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed that I have to double buy titles that work on Rift and Quest

Cytherion
Honored Guest
Why do I have to purchase the same title twice if it’s available on both the Rifr and quest?  For example beat saber is available on either I purchased it on Rift and just got a Quest and I’m shocked I have to pay for that title again to have it on my quest.  The whole reason I got a quest is so I don’t have to lug my PC when I travel and I thought I would have access to the same library of games that work on either.  It’s not fair to have to pay for the same title twice.
7 REPLIES 7

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
It is up to each developer to decide if they will charge for the Quest version. Many apps will run just fine on either platform and usually those are cross-buy. However, many games are way too much for the quest to handle without reducing the quality or making other adjustments. In that case, a developer may conclude that they have developed a "new" game based on the amount of time they invested.

So, a developer might just as easily say it's not fair that I had to put in all this effort to essentially port my game to a different platform and not get paid for it. I'm not going to take a position on which is actually the "fair" practice here, but I can understand why people (including myself) were frustrated to have to buy certain games twice (looking at you Beat Saber), but I can also understand why someone who probably isn't becoming a millionaire off the VR market might want to be compensated for their effort. 

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

LordZeroGameMas
Protege

It is up to each developer to decide if they will charge for the Quest version. Many apps will run just fine on either platform and usually those are cross-buy. However, many games are way too much for the quest to handle without reducing the quality or making other adjustments. In that case, a developer may conclude that they have developed a "new" game based on the amount of time they invested.

So, a developer might just as easily say it's not fair that I had to put in all this effort to essentially port my game to a different platform and not get paid for it. I'm not going to take a position on which is actually the "fair" practice here, but I can understand why people (including myself) were frustrated to have to buy certain games twice (looking at you Beat Saber), but I can also understand why someone who probably isn't becoming a millionaire off the VR market might want to be compensated for their effort. 

I played Arizona Sunshine in Quest and it looks like they really made a new game. It's 100% understable in those cases. 

I very much hope Walking Dead is multiplatform though i believe they will be separate products. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Cytherion said:

Why do I have to purchase the same title twice if it’s available on both the Rifr and quest?  For example beat saber is available on either I purchased it on Rift and just got a Quest and I’m shocked I have to pay for that title again to have it on my quest.  The whole reason I got a quest is so I don’t have to lug my PC when I travel and I thought I would have access to the same library of games that work on either.  It’s not fair to have to pay for the same title twice.

Quest is like 20 times slower than a standard gaming PC. Just because some games may look alike on PC and Quest - thanks to an often incredible achievement cutting down poly levels and textures by the devs - don't think for a moment that the games are the same. Of course you may have a few PCVR games with so low system requirements that these have been easier to port. But many games will be literally impossible to port. Remember that Quest has the same processor as the Samsung S8 mobile phone - with Quest you're basically trying to run VR games on a phone 😉 Even my Samsung S10+ phone is much faster than the Quest, lol

Just feel grateful that you do get some games for free. 2c.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP
Not all games support cross buy between Windows and Xbox.
Not all games support cross buy between PS4 and Vita.
Not all games support cross buy between Wii-U and 3DS.
Not all games support cross buy between Rift and Quest.

The Quest is a different platform with different hardware and a different operating system. Especially for games like Beat Saber that came out before the Quest, it can take a fair bit of effort to optimise for such a limited system.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Caveat Emptor, it is as simple as that.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

OmegaM4N said:

Caveat Emptor, it is as simple as that.

That's true and it translates as buyer beware... I think buyer be aware is maybe just as appropriate here and this forum has a number of threads on this exact topic already.

I guess people don't necessarily read forum stuff until they have a reason to post but I think everyone should find out as much as they can about a product before buying and make reasonable assumptions about the things that matter.

Also, for new posters, I have my favourite request that they please do a quick search of the forum and add comments to an existing thread rather than create a new one when possible! 🙂

oliver_jp
Expert Protege
I guess now that devs may probably target the Quest 2 platform primarily, porting from Quest to Rift should be pretty easy. I have both a Rift (CV1) and now a Quest 2 so I am always looking for games that I can buy once and play on both especially if I can play it at the same time with other people.

I don't know if devs are more likely to make more money buy people having to buy twice, I'm thinking there's not much more money to be made as people probably only have one platform and those that have more than one platform are most likely to just play it on one. The counter argument, that I alluded to above, is that people such as myself are more likely to buy a game, full stop (period), if it can be played on both.

Hopefully, if it is easy to port from Quest to Rift then it should be available on both platforms under the single purchase.

This is of course ignoring platforms other than Oculus, but I think the same porting argument stands, there's a cost involved in porting and also completely different eco-systems/purchase platforms so it makes sense that you wouldn't expect those purchases to be available across different vendors.
My tech reviews: https://www.simplythebest.tech