cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone on here still have the old Portal 1 VR beta?

Marulu
Adventurer
Back in June Valve accidentally released a beta update for the original Portal which added Oculus Rift support to the game. The beta was pretty buggy and because of that they removed the support using an update.

Someone who didn´t update Portal and who was opted into this beta should still have the official Portal 1 VR support on their PC. If you still have it on your PC, you could check the files of your Portal installation and based on the file changing date determine which files were part of the VR update. Using those files someone could make a VR patch for the community.

I really would love to replay Portal 1 in VR, I sadly lost my VR beta because of this update. I hope someone gives this a shot and makes a VR patch.
Just releasing these files in a zip file, with instructions on where to place them would re-enable us to play the game in VR.

-Marulu

P.S. I don´t think doing this would be illegal, because there are many websites distributing official patches for games that are no longer available.
9 REPLIES 9

Zackarios
Honored Guest
"Marulu" wrote:
Back in June Valve accidentally released a beta update for the original Portal which added Oculus Rift support to the game. The beta was pretty buggy and because of that they removed the support using an update.

Someone who didn´t update Portal and who was opted into this beta should still have the official Portal 1 VR support on their PC. If you still have it on your PC, you could check the files of your Portal installation and based on the file changing date determine which files were part of the VR update. Using those files someone could make a VR patch for the community.

I really would love to replay Portal 1 in VR, I sadly lost my VR beta because of this update. I hope someone gives this a shot and makes a VR patch.
Just releasing these files in a zip file, with instructions on where to place them would re-enable us to play the game in VR.

-Marulu

P.S. I don´t think doing this would be illegal, because there are many websites distributing official patches for games that are no longer available.

This would be awesome. I've been waiting to play Portal 1 with the hydras since I got my Rift.

Now that we know Portal 2 is going to support VR and hydras soon, I'm hoping the same will be done for Portal 1.

bobv5
Honored Guest
I think I still have it on my other machine.

Data want to be free, happy to share, but not much upload bandwidth. Sugestions?

Marulu
Adventurer
"bobv5" wrote:
I think I still have it on my other machine.

Data want to be free, happy to share, but not much upload bandwidth. Sugestions?

Zip it all up, and upload it to dropbox.
Dropbox can upload it in the background while you do other stuff on your PC.

The date the files should have been changed on should be between June 13 and July 24th.
I will need all data that changed after June 13. (please also include more recent changes.)

Send me the dropbox URL per PM, I then will test it and and turn it into a installer.

bobv5
Honored Guest
OK, Have a directory named "portal" Fairly certain it is the right thing.

It is just under 4 gigabyte. Compressing it now. Dont know if it will help...

EDIT: Files from june 28, before the disable update was pushed to me.

EDIT 2: Drop box sucks. They want to install stuff on my computer, that ain't happening. Using some other generic fille upload site.

kofu
Honored Guest
Correct me if i'm wrong - but i think you can upload things on your dropbox account, directly from their website. No need to install their software.

You can also use google Drive or Microsoft skydrive, which are mostly ad free and not as pushy as other DDL services

Marulu
Adventurer
"bobv5" wrote:
OK, Have a directory named "portal" Fairly certain it is the right thing.

It is just under 4 gigabyte. Compressing it now. Dont know if it will help...

EDIT: Files from june 28, before the disable update was pushed to me.

EDIT 2: Drop box sucks. They want to install stuff on my computer, that ain't happening. Using some other generic fille upload site.

Don´t upload the entire portal folder, that would end up being illegal. I just need the files that have changed with and after the VR beta update. June 28th is fine. It would be best if you could remove all the files that have been last changed before the 28th. (That also applies to the files in the folders, not the entire folders.)

-Marulu

Marulu
Adventurer
I messed a bit with the folders of TF2 and Portal and I got Portal to display the VR options in it´s menu.
The options currently do not effect the game play in any way, but Portal does detect the Rift and does read the tracker.

Here is a video:

bobv5
Honored Guest
The 28th is not when the files changed, but when I copied them to a different disk. The files are from before the VR was disabled. I tried to upload on Sunday, but something went wrong when I was sleeping.

I don't think it could be illegal to send you a copy of a game you already own (have licence, or whatever), as long as I dont include a crack.

If you only want specific files, you are either going to have to explain it to me like you would to your grandmother, or write some sort of script that will harvest them for you. (This is a windows machine generally, but can boot linux if that is easier)

Marulu
Adventurer
"bobv5" wrote:
The 28th is not when the files changed, but when I copied them to a different disk. The files are from before the VR was disabled. I tried to upload on Sunday, but something went wrong when I was sleeping.

I don't think it could be illegal to send you a copy of a game you already own (have licence, or whatever), as long as I dont include a crack.

If you only want specific files, you are either going to have to explain it to me like you would to your grandmother, or write some sort of script that will harvest them for you. (This is a windows machine generally, but can boot linux if that is easier)

I don´t know for sure which folders I will need until I have done some testing with them. But the folder that I think will be useful are:

/portal/bin
/portal/hl2/cfg
/portal/hl2/resource
/portal/hl2/scripts
/portal/platform
/portal/portal/bin

These folders should include all the files necessary to turn it into a patch.
If you only send me these files it should cut the file size down to be below 200 mb.