cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Connect 2021 (October 28)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

This year's Facebook Connect will be virtual. It looks like we'll be able to register for attendance; details to come.

Facebook released news on this today. So now would be a fun time to start making some predictions!

Here is what I am expecting:

• Oculus Quest Pro news
  • VR Metaverse info
  • New Oculus VR Software projects

Above all, I am hoping that we once again have Carmack go unscripted. 😁

104 REPLIES 104

lensmandave
Superstar

John Tweeted yesterday 🙂

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1428033864228917248?s=20

I will be doing talk sessions in Horizon until I run down all my headset batteries!

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

I'm hoping for news of Horizon opening up to everyone, the Beta's still invite only isn't it?

And Infinite Office... either an announcement of it releasing imminently or a firm date for release.

These things seem to have been dragging on for a long time.

Personally I'd be surprised if any detailed announcements are made about hardware but you never know!

I think the 128GB Quest 2 price drop was a logical first step towards the next headset release. It allows for a gap between the current headset and the next one being released at the popular £399 mark again for a 128 model. Maybe we'll get some teasers.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Looking forward to Carmack's talk, as always. If Horizon isn't open to all by then, I hope someone records and posts it like last year.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

lensmandave
Superstar

Just released, Horizon Workrooms, available now in the Quest store. Downloading to try it out.

https://twitter.com/boztank/status/1428362232660774941?s=20

Tweet by Boz 🙂

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

It's an app where you can sit at a PC, using a keyboard and mouse, with desktop streaming into VR, but it doesn't support PCVR, just Quest. 😞

I do like that it lets you hold a touch controller backwards to use the handle as a whiteboard pen. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

mmm , so presumably you only need a PC if you want to do PC stuff in Workrooms or if someone doesn't have a headset but wants to take part, and to use a PC in VR, you'll need a tracked keyboard and mouse.

It sounds like there's an overlap between this and Infinite Office but I had assumed the office software is going to be contained entirely within a Quest app without the need for PC but with the same keyboard/mouse tracking.

Wonder if these are still going to be separate apps? or Workrooms is a stop-gap to Infinite Office. Or Office is now Workrooms???

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wow... Workspaces seems so phenomenal. I love how we can use our controllers to outline a workspace in order to bring your real-world keyboard in to VR, as well as your screen. On top of (as Kojack mentioned), flipping your controller around to use it like a Pen/Marker!

A nice hands-on review by CNET:

I am excited about the full hand-tracking compatibility as well (no hand-controllers needed). And this is all very early access stuff.

I've been fiending for a true VR Workplace since the Rift CV1 first launched. It's taken awhile, but it is finally getting realized!

Also note that (per the video), Microsoft is working on their own version as well: Microsoft Mesh.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mesh?activetab=pivot%3aprimaryr7

Yeah, remote productivity is a big thing. VR/AR is going to take it to predictabke heights. It's a natural next step for a company like Microsoft.

I would think MS are considering the possibility of an app on the Quest given the userbase. Like making MS Office available on ios. Will be interesting to see who does it best. It's eventually going to be a really important sector.

Agreed, Daft. Microsoft is also pushing towards that whole VR Metaverse concept. Their focus will be primarily on business and enterprise.

I imagine that in the next 5-10 years when the VR Metaverse starts to take shape (is that a pun?), we'll see Oculus VR and Win VR integrating seamlessly to give us the first impressions of what a true VR Metaverse entails. 

Which is essentially what you stated: VR/AR working together, and in all walks of life. 🙂