cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Connect 2021 (October 28)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

This year's Facebook Connect will be virtual. It looks like we'll be able to register for attendance; details to come.

Facebook released news on this today. So now would be a fun time to start making some predictions!

Here is what I am expecting:

• Oculus Quest Pro news
  • VR Metaverse info
  • New Oculus VR Software projects

Above all, I am hoping that we once again have Carmack go unscripted. 😁

104 REPLIES 104

Hmm... could we use asset scanning for physics or electric lab?  (I think not for chemical lab :D)

So you could scan some pendulum and VR software will calculate it's real size/length/speed etc. 🙂

Or even for robot creation labs 🙂

Sooo, now that Infinite Office is finally out (albeit with a name change), what are the chances of Horizon coming out of closed beta prior to Connect?

@DaftnDirect wrote:

Sooo, now that Infinite Office is finally out (albeit with a name change), what are the chances of Horizon coming out of closed beta prior to Connect?

Since Carmack will be speaking in Horizon, my best guess is that Facebook will keep it in Beta Invite-Only in order to avoid crashing the servers lol

I logged in to Horizon to see if I could RSVP a spot for this event, but it isn't available yet.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

10 more days! 

Retina Resolution is otw??

Zenbane_0-1634166270146.png

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Strong rumors are out that Facebook may be announcing a name change at this year's conference 🤔

Facebook is planning to change its company name next week to reflect its focus on building the metaverse, according to a source with direct knowledge of the matter.

The coming name change, which CEO Mark Zuckerberg plans to talk about at the company’s annual Connect conference on October 28th, but could unveil sooner, is meant to signal the tech giant’s ambition to be known for more than social media and all the ills that entail. The rebrand would likely position the blue Facebook app as one of many products under a parent company overseeing groups like Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus, and more. A spokesperson for Facebook declined to comment for this story.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/19/22735612/facebook-change-company-name-metaverse

Anyone up for speculating on some new names??

I'm hoping for something Matrix-ish, like:

• MetaSphere
  • Cosmic Void
  • Quantum Deck

Some fun ones I pulled off of a random Org Name generator:

• Metatract
  • Avaverse
  • Metaveo
  • Worldoid
  • Trozon
  • Fifth Cube
  • Metalicgenic
  • Mystic Street
  • WebCoil
  • Conceptile

Maybe they will rename to Oculus?

🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I suppose having the company name as one of your apps is becoming less meaningful.

Given his like of Ready Player One, I'd go with One in the title... World also suitably grandiose.

So maybe OneWorld... or something.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Checking trademarks owned by Facebook, Inc in the US: (current or expired)

@ SCALE
@ SCALE
APPLINKS
BALL IN THE FAMILY
BEACON
BONFIRE
CATBOOK
CREATIVITY IN A MINUTE
DOGBOOK
F
F GO LET'S GROW YOUR BUSINESS
F8